Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
slowster

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by slowster »

As I understand it there are often two separate booking systems running in parallel. For the national NHS one a letter is sent to the person with information on how to log onto a website which provides details of all the national vaccination locations, which allows you to choose whichever location and time is closest to and most convenient for you. With that system you book your second appointment as well as the first all in one go.

In tandem with that I think most GP practices/care networks are running local vaccinations which may be at a different location(s), and which might be more or less close to you than the national locations. I think the booking system for that typically involves logging on with a unique website address sent to you by text, letter etc., but you can only book your first appointment. Presumably with that system the initial website address will not work later for the second appointment, and a person is dependent upon the practices/care network sending a second invite with a new website address to log on to.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are two main systems: the GP-based (in which only a fraction of practices were selected to administer the vaccine) and the mass centres.

Did you get your first invitation from your practice or by booking online? The first place to chase would be whichever that was.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with slowster's.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think the current availability of the type of vaccine you had first time round may affect this. Several people I know locally who were in the first cohorts had Pfizer and had their second jab exactly 12 weeks later. I was talking - socially distanced - to somebody early sixties, who had their first AZ jab after I had mine but they had their second "a month ago."

On the matter of how local GP practices handle this, I think it's up to them. Both my invitations were by phone from the practice nurse. I don't know if that's coincidence of if she's doing it to be able to discuss queries. No time wasted here - call lasted 45 secs. We had Pfizer and our second jab will be exactly twelve weeks
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

markjohnobrien wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:43am
Godzy89 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 8:38pm I had my first one a couple of weeks ago
Had it on a Friday and was rough as a bears on the Saturday and Sunday and then fine Monday apart from a sore arm
Schoolboy error though
Had it in my left arm and thats the side i go to sleep on so struggled with the stinging
I am a bit on the mard side though :D
Had the Astra Zeneca one
2nd one is booked for 12th June and going to get it in my other arm
Yes, you do sound like a mardarse🤣

For anyone who doesn’t know this is East Midlands dialect (although used in other places as well).
It certainly is
Im in Bolton nr Manchester :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:53am There are two main systems: the GP-based (in which only a fraction of practices were selected to administer the vaccine) and the mass centres.

Did you get your first invitation from your practice or by booking online? The first place to chase would be whichever that was.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with slowster's.
It seems that I have miscounted the weeks.
I feel such a fool.
Apologies to all the helpful people who responded to my misguided worries.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No need, foolishness is not asking!

: - )

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:58am No need, foolishness is not asking!

: - )

Jonathan
My GP's receptionist was also very graceful about my idiocy.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Had my 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday morning, a couple of days over 10 weeks after the first. Cycled there & back, 16 miles round trip to our local hospital (ours came under wider health & social care workers). I've felt completely fine so far, apart from a slightly sore arm overnight which has got better during the day.

Added bonus - covered Sheffield stands have appeared outside various buildings around the hospital since I was there 10 weeks ago, including outside the building where I had to go to get my jab. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Had my second Pfizer yesterday. Ten weeks apart no symptoms last time but some this time.
Had a headache last night, slept in this morning and really tired when I was supposedly awake. Headache again tonight will be in bed shortly.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

We had our second Pfizer on Easter Monday, no side effects this time, sore arms with the first.
Two wheels preferred.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Still only had the first vaccine (AZ), no appointment for second yet. No side effects from first one, except a few days later I was sitting at the laptop and had a persistent ache in my upper left arm - curse that vaccine...

Got the injection in my right arm...

Spooky, huh? :o
rjb

Post by rjb »

Early morning cycle ride of 20 miles to get my second Pfizer jab. Had a mild sore arm for 12 hours after the first so not expecting any other problems after the second. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

slowster wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:52am As I understand it there are often two separate booking systems running in parallel. For the national NHS one a letter is sent to the person with information on how to log onto a website [...]
This is no longer true. You just go to www.nhs.uk and click to book a coronavirus vaccination, provide your NHS number (take it to the vaccination, even though it doesn't tell you to, else they have to look it up!) and choose places and times.

I think the GP system still runs in parallel. I have seen little of it.

First OxAZ dose yesterday. 16 mile round trip. Cycle parking. Slightly tired today and it feels rather like I bumped my shoulder trying to ride through an A frame barrier. (I didn't: only a set of bollards and two slaloms on that route.) Maybe slightly thirstier than usual.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Maybe slightly thirstier than usual.
That may be triggered all the publicity about pubs reopening.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I had my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday 11 weeks after the first. No ill affects so far.