Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:25am
Jdsk wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:35am
Audax67 wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:23am Apparently post-injection clotting stats are the same with Pfizer as with AZ, and are probably due to the use of adenovirus vectors and accidental intravenous injection.
Is there a source for that suggestion about intravenous injections, please?
If you follow the link I gave it's all there.
Thanks.

I've previously expressed my views about Campbell's reliability.

I'd rather not watch another 28 min.

Could you say which study he refers to, or where in the talk it's discussed, please?

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

What about a package holiday to Russia? Sputnik vaccine included.
I am here. Where are you?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 1:38pm Link to adenovirus paper. Enjoy:

https://ashpublications.org/blood/artic ... he-role-of
I ask again, what has it to do with the PB vaccine?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

mjr wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 2:44pm
Audax67 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 1:38pm Link to adenovirus paper. Enjoy:

https://ashpublications.org/blood/artic ... he-role-of
I ask again, what has it to do with the PB vaccine?
Looking back, probably nothing. I had gained the impression that the PB used adenovirus encapsulation whereas it appears to use a synthetic(?) lipid shell. I've seen elsewhere, though, that clotting stats post-AZ and post-PB are similar.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is an as yet unpublished (and not peer-reviewed) study from the Norwegian National Health Institute which found differences between mRNA vaccines and adenovirus vaccine technology. Now, I have to qualify this... it's not a clinical study. It is based upon an extensive survey of patient-reported side effects. And they cannot completely dismiss media effects (i.e. more people reported bleeding as a side effect because the media made them aware of it). So, while it is not without problems, the study did find significant differences.
translated from forskning.no* wrote: Gunnveig Grødeland believes that the most important thing in the Norwegian study is that it finds a difference when it compares the vaccine from Pfizer with the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The vaccines from AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, and the Sputnik vaccine are based on the same vaccine technology, as forskning.no has previously explained.

- The results support what we know that the serious side effects are related to vaccines based on adenoviral vectors.

- This strengthens the observations that these side effects will not be associated with mRNA vaccines.
The researcher involved has also said that even though there have been some successful vaccines using the adenovirus technology (e.g. Ebola), that this is the first time it has been used on a very large scale. They have also said that the risk remains low, and within acceptable levels.

I don't think that they will ban any of the vaccinations here (suspension of the AZ vaccine continues), but I understand they plan to focus on the mRNA vaccines. Research continues on the adenovirus vaccine technology, but the groups at highest risk from covid have been vaccinated, and there are just a couple of areas in Norway with moderate- high transmission rates, so they seem to feel the the mRNA vaccines are sufficient. According to the revised schedule, over 50s should receive an invitation to be vaccinated in my area in mid to late May, which seems satisfactory.

*https://forskning.no/biologi-immunforsv ... en/1843303
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We've had some good news about a date for my wife to get her first dose of the AZ vaccine.
In France we are way behind the UK but the roll out is picking up speed.
Strange system is in place that you can get it done three way:
There are centres in all large towns and you register your request.
You can get on your GP's list.
You can register with the local pharmacy.
My wife has done the first two. and yesterday whilst in the pharmacy was told she could register with them.
He went on to say she was 21st on his list and he gets 10 doses of vaccine a week.
Fingers crossed 2 and a bit weeks she'll have some protection. :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Does anyone know if black or Asian people get offered the vaccine at an earlier age because of their increased risk of serious illness from covid?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:45am Does anyone know if black or Asian people get offered the vaccine at an earlier age because of their increased risk of serious illness from covid?
See "Mitigating inequalities" in the current prioritisation:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ementation

(And if I could give a more helpful answer about what's happening in practice I would!)

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 8:03am Strange system is in place that you can get it done three way:
That's rather like the UK where we seem to have online central booking, GP booking and telephone booking all operating with different requirements and options. And then there are occasional reports of vaccinators roaming nearby streets trying to recruit volunteers to use up the last few doses of thawed Pfizer after Did Not Attends.

Is anywhere running a single vaccination system and how are they getting on?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The UK also vaccinates in pharmacies and hospitals.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:50am
Cowsham wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 10:45am Does anyone know if black or Asian people get offered the vaccine at an earlier age because of their increased risk of serious illness from covid?
See "Mitigating inequalities" in the current prioritisation:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2020
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ementation

(And if I could give a more helpful answer about what's happening in practice I would!)

Jonathan
Thanks JD but I've seen that before and seems to be only a recommendation that BAME get a higher priority and also mentions that because they have more representation in at risk groups which got a higher priority at the roll out.

But what if your a healthy black man like a good cyclist friend of mine? He's in his 30's but he's a big unit and has young children at school hence I'm a little worried he doesn't get his vaccine in time.
philg

Post by philg »

Guardian today
EU starts legal case against AstraZeneca over vaccine delays
The European commission has initiated a legal case against AstraZeneca over its “complete failure” to meet delivery and contractual agreements for its vaccine, Ireland’s health minister Stephen Donnelly has said. See earlier post for more details.
So EU wants to sue AstraZeneca for not supplying a vaccine the EU doesn't want, which Macron says doesn't work and of which the EU already has huge stockpiles which haven't been used?

Reported elsewhere that the EU are considering not using AZ for future vaccine contracts - well that should give them good leverage in price negotiations with Pfizer then :roll:
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

philg wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 2:59pm Guardian today
EU starts legal case against AstraZeneca over vaccine delays
The European commission has initiated a legal case against AstraZeneca over its “complete failure” to meet delivery and contractual agreements for its vaccine, Ireland’s health minister Stephen Donnelly has said. See earlier post for more details.
So EU wants to sue AstraZeneca for not supplying a vaccine the EU doesn't want, which Macron says doesn't work and of which the EU already has huge stockpiles which haven't been used?
If that report is right the litigant would be the European Commission, not the European Union. And the Commission isn't responsible for the vaccination programmes of Member States because that would be... the Member States.

Another party not using what wasn't delivered wouldn't overturn a breach of contract, but it could affect the size of consequent damages.

Can anyone find the details of the case, or an analysis of the legal issues?

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

philg wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 2:59pm So EU wants to sue AstraZeneca for not supplying a vaccine the EU doesn't want, which Macron says doesn't work and of which the EU already has huge stockpiles which haven't been used?
The EU does want it: even at the peak of caution, almost half of countries were still using it, including some offering to take France's unused doses if they want.

Macron is Macron, but he only leads one of the 27. What he says does not go elsewhere.

It seems unlikely that there are "huge stockpiles" in most countries when AZ delivered only about 30% of what was ordered in Jan-Mar. I suspect any held back are for second doses because they no longer trust AZ to deliver as ordered, with good reason because I think they're only delivering about 40% for Apr-Jun.
Reported elsewhere that the EU are considering not using AZ for future vaccine contracts - well that should give them good leverage in price negotiations with Pfizer then :roll:
Moderna's already approved, the Janssen one-shot is just being deployed, there's probably others coming. I don't think Pfizer-BioNTech have the stranglehold suggested.