Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by RickH »

Tangled Metal wrote:My dad is 76 and is having his Tuesday. That's South Cumbria. If the boondocks can get the jabs into their 75 to 80s group then surely the towns and cities down south with their provisions and resources should be ahead??? Is it down to local NHS organisation? Why are some areas ahead of others?

There are a whole host of reasons some places might be quicker than others.

Some that spring to mind - local availability of vaccine (particularly storage for the Pfizer one), places to do larger scale vaccinations being up & ready, availability of staff/volunteers to do the injections & possibly location of the older people (I've no idea if there is an even distribution around the country between those living at home, or with family, & those in care homes.

There could be other factors too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Got the phone call yesterday for a jab next Saturday..age 78 type 2 diabetic. They are opening up Taunton Racecourse a mile away as a mass jab facility. GF same age still waiting.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Well done Al, will you cycle there. Place a bet whilst waiting? Let us know your experience so i know what to expect.
Did the phone call come from your GP?
I'm still waiting but its getting closer and if yours go well i will ride there too.
Last edited by rjb on 18 Jan 2021, 11:02am, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

My 90-year-old stepfather is still waiting for his, whilst all of his under 90 mates have now had their second jabs. :shock:
He's spoken to his surgery on a few occasions and they keep telling him he's top of the list, but others seem to get in before him (and he tells me they are not classed as vulnerable).
It's when systems like this break down that people get frustrated and upset.

Good luck to all of you on the list, I've now only got 719,000 people in front of me. :wink:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just found this link to Englands national vaccination and booking system. This is how they do it in England. Wales are prioritising different groups according to First Minister Mark Drakeford on the news this morning.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/p ... programme/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

- A national database
- Sending out postal invitations to book a vaccination appointment by telephone to a national booking system.

It's hard to imagine anything going wrong.

The system keeps a record of everyone who has been invited and sends reminders via text or letter to anyone who has not been vaccinated, or who has not booked an appointment through the National Booking System.

The spin around this concentrates on people who have been offered the vaccination. I hope the system keeps records of those unable to get through on the blower and died waiting, separate from those who actively decide against vaccination.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:- A national database
- Sending out postal invitations to book a vaccination appointment by telephone to a national booking system.

It's hard to imagine anything going wrong.

The system keeps a record of everyone who has been invited and sends reminders via text or letter to anyone who has not been vaccinated, or who has not booked an appointment through the National Booking System.

The spin around this concentrates on people who have been offered the vaccination. I hope the system keeps records of those unable to get through on the blower and died waiting, separate from those who actively decide against vaccination.

It's interesting and highlights the bugs in that system. For my flu vaccination I got a letter saying how they don't have a mobile number for me so had to post a flu vaccination invite letter and to call my GP to book - which I did and then got mobile text SMS reminder messages. So they did have my mobile number (but their systems ... couldn't handle it)!

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

rjb wrote:Well done Al, will you cycle there. Place a bet whilst waiting? Let us know your experience so i know what to expect.
I'm still waiting but its getting closer and if yours go well i will ride there too.

I'm still registered at Cully so the jab will be there. Probably wont ride there because of any possible side effects. And, Cully Farmers Market is open on that Saturday so I will pick up Cheese Juice Pies and Fish. As well as having nice stuff its good to support the traders. Hows your Mrs?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

My mum who's 80 is getting hers on Wednesday that's if trump hasn't blown up the world by then.
I am here. Where are you?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Yo Al, You lucky sod! Older you may be but I'll out trump your type 2 problem by my list from Grey's Anatomy!!!! My creaking body would deafen you.
They're even giving the jags earlier in the armpit town of St Helens before we get it in the Pool? Hope SWMBO gets hers the same time as me???
But here's hoping we all reach happy times together. TTFN MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

merseymouth wrote:Yo Al, You lucky sod! Older you may be but I'll out trump your type 2 problem by my list from Grey's Anatomy!!!! My creaking body would deafen you.
They're even giving the jags earlier in the armpit town of St Helens before we get it in the Pool? Hope SWMBO gets hers the same time as me???
But here's hoping we all reach happy times together. TTFN MM

Yo MM, my lady doctor is a sweetie, very supportive and caring over the last couple of years. I put the early jab down to that. The NHS on all fronts here in the SW has been excellent, streets ahead of Oxfordshire where I used to live.
Taunton Racecourse a new jab mega complex is just around the corner from here so hopefully the new GF will get jabbed quickly too. Good luck to you both.

Al
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:
rjb wrote:Well done Al, will you cycle there. Place a bet whilst waiting? Let us know your experience so i know what to expect.

I'm still registered at Cully so the jab will be there. Probably wont ride there because of any possible side effects. And, Cully Farmers Market is open on that Saturday so I will pick up Cheese Juice Pies and Fish. As well as having nice stuff its good to support the traders. Hows your Mrs?

Al

Hi Al,
Swmbo is back home recovering after the surgery. My culinary skills are being tested to the limit but she is making progress. Next step is radiotherapy so we are not expecting to be on the tandem until after Easter. Hopefully the North Curry coffee shop will open again in the spring (Mrs Rjb is the current chairperson) so we may see you there.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby gets Covid jab

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55717713

He's 65 so presumably he's some other undisclosed reason for getting it.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Well, I can only think that God must have put in a good word for him in the right ear? After all he is supposed to work in mysterious ways :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Us atheists must be reading the wrong books! Maybe we should go the Trump route, join with other creaking OAP's to storm the Jag Centre to demand an immediate shot in the arm? :wink: MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My partner got an NHS invitation letter today and booked for her jab at nearby Taunton Racecourse via the online NHS website for next Monday. Very straightforward indeed.

Al