Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philg

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by philg »

mjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 5:27pm .................. I don't think Pfizer-BioNTech have the stranglehold suggested.
https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-prep ... hortfalls/
EU countries also discussed on Wednesday contracts for more EU vaccines, following the Commission’s announcement last week that the EU secured 1.8 billion BioNTech/Pfizer vaccines through 2023. Some ambassadors worried that the EU essentially is giving Pfizer a “monopoly,” and said the EU needs to have a broad portfolio of vaccines, according to a diplomat. There was also some support for extending the contract with Johnson & Johnson, but this has not yet been confirmed by the Commission.
In the same article
In any event, the chances of any more contracts with AstraZeneca look increasingly dim. The same Commission spokesperson stated that the deadline for the EU to exercise its option to sign a contract for another 100 million doses had expired and would therefore be void.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

philg wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 5:46pm
mjr wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 5:27pm .................. I don't think Pfizer-BioNTech have the stranglehold suggested.
https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-prep ... hortfalls/
EU countries also discussed on Wednesday contracts for more EU vaccines, following the Commission’s announcement last week that the EU secured 1.8 billion BioNTech/Pfizer vaccines through 2023. Some ambassadors worried that the EU essentially is giving Pfizer a “monopoly,” and said the EU needs to have a broad portfolio of vaccines, according to a diplomat. There was also some support for extending the contract with Johnson & Johnson, but this has not yet been confirmed by the Commission.
In the same article
In any event, the chances of any more contracts with AstraZeneca look increasingly dim. The same Commission spokesperson stated that the deadline for the EU to exercise its option to sign a contract for another 100 million doses had expired and would therefore be void.
The current European Commission contracts:

Screenshot 2021-04-22 at 17.49.08.png

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... ropeans_en

Jonathan
philg

Post by philg »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 5:52pm
The current European Commission contracts:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... ropeans_en

Jonathan
Yes, but from the same source
Accelerating the delivery of vaccines

On 14 April, the European Commission reached an agreement with BioNTech-Pfizer to speed up the delivery of vaccines. 50 million additional doses, initially foreseen for the fourth quarter of 2021, will be delivered in the second quarter, starting in April. To prepare for the future, the Commission also announced it was entering into a negotiation with BioNTech-Pfizer for a third contract that would foresee the delivery of 1.8 billion doses of vaccine over the period of 2021 to 2023.
Given that neither of the 2 'in development' efforts may ever see production phase, and AZ probably won't deliver their stated number, it would seem to me the assertion above about a 'monopoly' is not inaccurate.

Lucky Pfizer/Biontech is a part-German company :twisted:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I keep hearing on here that France has huge stocks of unused AZ vaccine, total tosh!
The vaccine has some doubters and they would prefer the Pfizer type but... there are still many people still to be vaccinated who would gladly have either vaccine.
Our pharmacy and the GP get 10 doses each week. The centres aren't taking bookings as the list is full.
At present you are eligible to be inoculated if you are 55 or over. Others at risk or in services like fireman can have it at any age.
I can't speak for other EU countries but there isn't vast stocks of vaccine here.
What may have given rise to this idea is the way the vaccination is carried out. The second dose was given 4 weeks after the first and I expect some stocks of the vaccine were held back to administer those second doses, especially as at the time supplies were not coming through.
philg

Post by philg »

francovendee wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 7:26am I keep hearing on here that France has huge stocks of unused AZ vaccine, total tosh!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56483766
Is the EU running out of AstraZeneca doses?
No - in fact, EU countries have been reporting hundreds of thousands of unused doses because of a drop in public confidence in the jab.
France has used53% and Germany 68% of the AstraZeneca jabs they have received, according to the latest figures European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

The Netherlands has used only 44% of its supply.
Maybe hearsay isn't always wrong?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

philg wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 8:26am
francovendee wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 7:26am I keep hearing on here that France has huge stocks of unused AZ vaccine, total tosh!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56483766
Is the EU running out of AstraZeneca doses?
No - in fact, EU countries have been reporting hundreds of thousands of unused doses because of a drop in public confidence in the jab.
France has used53% and Germany 68% of the AstraZeneca jabs they have received, according to the latest figures European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC).

The Netherlands has used only 44% of its supply.
Maybe hearsay isn't always wrong?
Now I usually believe the BBC so they must have some info that I'm unaware of.
I can only repeat that I see no lack of people wishing to be vaccinated, quite the reverse and people are angry with the slow speed of the roll out. Unfortunately I cannot access the source of the information ECDC to get more information.
If it is factual I cannot understand the reason for it. The level of new infections here is very high, Macron has been under severe criticism for his handling of the pandemic and more importantly he's got an election coming soon. Adding these up it makes no sense.
Amongst family and friends, less than a quarter have been vaccinated and I only know one person who says they definitely will not have the vaccine.
I see the BBC article is from the 6th April, I wonder how up to date the ECDC report is?
RickH

Post by RickH »

One French data point: my friend's parents, in their 70s & living in the southern Loire Valley, both got their first doses of Moderna this week. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thirdcrank wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 4:30pm Now that vaccination has started, I think it would be useful to know who's had it and their comments, if any.

If it's not abundantly clear, I'm referring to Covid-19, not flu or bubonic plague.

It's not an attempt to set up an alternative vaccination passport but rather to see how the roll-out is going compared with the World-leading spin. (Emphasis added.)
There are loads of politicians moving their lips on this subject.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I received #2 yesterday midday. Arm aches but no other problems.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've finally managed to open the link philg posted.
The European Centre For Disease Control's figures for vaccine in France are:
21,541,895 doses doses distributed to France.
18,284,330 doses administered.
This questions the figure of only 53% of vaccine being used that was mentioned in the BBC article. It seems way off the mark.
I'll repeat it again, France having tons of unused vaccine is tosh!
My wife narrowly missed getting a vaccination on Saturday. She's registered on a stand by site and saw her text too late to reply in time. You only get 6 minutes and then they offer it to someone else.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Isle of man have now sent letters to 20 to 24 year old adults to book their jabs.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

philg wrote: If the EU had a watertight contract then they would have pursued legal avenues, presumably they hadn't so they didn't
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 13.56.36.png

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

francovendee wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:25am This questions the figure of only 53% of vaccine being used that was mentioned in the BBC article. It seems way off the mark.
That’s because a once trusted news channel is now purely a UK government mouthpiece.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I don't think AZ will roll over and expect a robust defence. I guess it'll get into minute details on the wording of the contract and their interpretation. Big payday for the legals either way.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"COVID-19: NHS app to be used as coronavirus passport for international travel, Grant Shapps confirms"
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs ... s-12289071

"It will be the NHS app that is used for people when they book appointments with the NHS and so on, to be able to show you've had a vaccine or that you've had testing,"

It isn't clear how much of the UK this covers.

Jonathan