Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
VinceLedge

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by VinceLedge »

2nd one today :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Colleague in thirties, had both vaccines, tested +ive last week...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
L+1

Post by L+1 »

simonineaston wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 9:17pm Colleague in thirties, had both vaccines, tested +ive last week...
That’s unfortunate. How did they find out? Symptoms or a routine test?
From what I understand that’s going to be the risk for the unvaccinated - mildly ill vaccinated folk still shedding virus into the environment.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

fortunately, asymptomatic. Colleague is spouse of teacher, and was tested because spouse teaches at a school where another party was diagnosed with C19 the other week... golly gosh isn't it all compliacted!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pwa

Post by pwa »

[quoted text removed by moderator]

Unless you never leave your home, never have a visitor, never touch the handles or doors and shopping trolleys, you can catch it and you can pass it on, and you can act as a reservoir for the virus. You will be less of a danger to the people around you if you get vaccinated.

I was talking, at a distance, to a young man a few weeks ago, who due to illness has very low immunity to infection and would be very much at risk if he caught Covid. He has been advised that the vaccines may not work for him. They may not raise the antibodies in his system sufficiently. His only hope of ever being able to get back to any sort of freedom is those of us who can make use of the vaccines doing so, so that his risk when he leaves his home is reduced.
Last edited by pwa on 11 Jun 2021, 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

simonineaston wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 9:47pm fortunately, asymptomatic. Colleague is spouse of teacher, and was tested because spouse teaches at a school where another party was diagnosed with C19 the other week... golly gosh isn't it all compliacted!!
Only need to go six steps and the whole country needs a test.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pwa wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 7:41am [quoted text removed by moderator]

Unless you never leave your home, never have a visitor, never touch the handles of doors and shopping trolleys, you can catch it and you can pass it on, and you can act as a reservoir for the virus. You will be less of a danger to the people around you if you get vaccinated.

I was talking, at a distance, to a young man a few weeks ago, who due to illness has very low immunity to infection and would be very much at risk if he caught Covid. He has been advised that the vaccines may not work for him. They may not raise the antibodies in his system sufficiently. His only hope of ever being able to get back to any sort of freedom is those of us who can make use of the vaccines doing so, so that his risk when he leaves his home is reduced.
^ That's basically the situation I am in. Although I have the financial resources to have paid for a spike protein antibody count* (used the virtus one, since it provides independent counts of IGG and IGM responses, and my immune disorder is specifically IGG related) a little over two weeks post the second jab.

In my case that test has shown a strong response, despite the fact that I had no discernible symptoms from either injection.

* The NHS antibody test doesn't test for the antibodies which are triggered by the virus, but for one of the sets which is usually generated in response to a direct infection.
In my case that came back negative, but it had been over a year since I had what is very strongly suspected to have been a C19 infection (no tests unless you were an inpatient at the time, and due to my immune disorder the Drs fought quite hard to keep me out of hospital - I was right up against the limits the Drs had set before MrsBob should call an ambulance, but never quite crept over them).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I had Covid last year, with symptoms on a par with a bad case of flu. With regard to vaccination I could have taken the view that I still had natural antibodies, had survived previously, and was able to minimise my risk of exposure to other people who might have it.

I had the vaccination because I reckoned I owed it to those who have been in the frontline of this pandemic taking the biggest risks: they are entitled to expect me and others to do our best to reduce the risk of catching the disease, spreading it further, and potentially needing hospital treatment when the NHS is already stretched.

I also considered that as an adult I owed it to children, teenagers and the very young to have the vaccination. Their education, social development and future employment prospects have been hugely disrupted over the last year. That happened because it was necessary to protect the adult population, and especially those who are older and more at risk. Childen and young people need as many of the rest of us as possible to have the vaccination so that they can resume their lives and try to make up lost ground.

As for the safety of the various vaccines, they are subject to a level of intense medical, scientific and media scrutiny far beyond any previous medical drug or treatment. Whilst I would not trust a politician one bit, there is simply too much close attention on the results of trials and the yellow card system etc. for the public to be misled about the risks. The risks posed by Covid to an adult far outweigh the extremely small risks that might be posed by the vaccines.

Margaret Thatcher said there is no such thing as society. I don't think that is true, but I guess it is for people who loudly proclaim that they are not going to get vaccinated.
Last edited by slowster on 11 Jun 2021, 12:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Margaret Thatcher said there is no such thing as society. I don't think that is true, but I guess it is for people who loudly proclaim that they are not going to get vaccinated.
Doesn't that mean that at the same time, there is such a thing as society and that there isn't? Yikes! :shock:
S
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My first jab is scheduled for next week. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peetee

Post by peetee »

Received my second jab last Friday.
Was a bit tired Sat afternoon but Wed morning I could barely get my head off the pillow. Every bit of me felt heavy. I could even feel the weight of my eyelids!
Fortunately a couple of ibuprofen sorted me out.
Last edited by peetee on 28 Jun 2021, 8:16am, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

My turn for the second vaccine today. I had it about 7 hours ago and I am still feeling fine. My brother who is 5 years younger than me had his second vaccine about two weeks ago.

I had a health scare about 3 weeks ago and I am glad to have got the second vaccine because I was feeling a bit vulnerable and I am having to start back in work just as the number of cases is starting to pick up again.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I had my second AZ jab on Sunday. I felt ill on Sunday and Monday but I am fine again today and even my injected arm is pain-free. I think I had the disease in Jan-Feb 2020 but wasn't tested. I guess the next phase of vaccination will be boosters starting in the autumn.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Had my second AZ jab on Monday. Similar but milder side effects to first, i.e. general body aches.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Vorpal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 9:12am My first jab is scheduled for next week. 8)
Without being intrusive or anything, why so late? Haven't they been jabbing 30 even 20 somethings for a week or two now?

Forgive my assumption that you're not a youngster and as such been eligible for a few weeks.

I'm in my 40s and halfway between my first and second AZ jab.

With the ramping up of jabs, is there any way you bring a jab appointment forward? I think that was mentioned once. I. Made both at the same time and the second was booked ASAP after the first. Now I'm wondering if the NHS booking allows you to look again for an earlier appointment.