Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ANTONISH

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by ANTONISH »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:I still believe it's unnecessary for the vast majority of us and my stance is the same as it has been since day one.
I've been labelled an anti-vaxxer on this Forum and as I've said many times I'm not but I am now wondering what a (wrongly presumed) anti-vaxxer who has the vaccine is called :?

Do your worst,I'm a big boy and can take it.

My two sons (43 and 46) both had covid with mild symptoms. That would probably apply to the majority of those infected.
It could well be argued that they didn't/don't need the vaccine, however others in their age group have been seriously ill or have died.
How would you determine in advance which of the "vast majority" is in need of the vaccine?
Taking the vaccine appears to have reduced vastly the demands on the NHS - and helped reduce the spread of the virus.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote:Taking the vaccine appears to have reduced vastly the demands on the NHS - and helped reduce the spread of the virus.

Most of the drop in admissions, ITU admissions and deaths was caused by nonpharmaceutical interventions such as isolation. But there is now clear evidence from several studies showing contribution from the vaccine, eg:
https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/news/coronavirus-vaccination-linked-to-substantial-reduction-in-hospitalisation-real-world-data-suggests

We don't yet know much about how the vaccines affect transmission. It isn't easy to study:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z

All of the approved vaccines are effective and safe. This could have been very different.

Jonathan
philg

Post by philg »

Jdsk wrote:All of the approved vaccines are effective and safe.

Against known variants, so far

This could have been very different.

And still might be reading the 'scientific press' - hence the necessity (must it keep being spelt out?) of widespread vaccinations to reduce transmission and slow the mutations, or if necessary make isolating future nasty strains easier.

Hopefully it will go the way of the cold virus and the dominant strains will be annoying but relatively harmless, but there are no guarantees.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

philg wrote:And still might be reading the 'scientific press' - hence the necessity (must it keep being spelt out?) of widespread vaccinations to reduce transmission and slow the mutations, or if necessary make isolating future nasty strains easier.

And of behaviour that reduces transmission.

I'm very concerned about over-relaxation of behaviour. Ministers' statements haven't been as disastrous as last year but could be enormously better.

Jonathan
philg

Post by philg »

Jdsk wrote:
philg wrote:And still might be reading the 'scientific press' - hence the necessity (must it keep being spelt out?) of widespread vaccinations to reduce transmission and slow the mutations, or if necessary make isolating future nasty strains easier.

And of behaviour that reduces transmission.

I'm very concerned about over-relaxation of behaviour. Ministers' statements haven't been as disastrous as last year but could be enormously better.

Jonathan

Agreed but I think lockdowns are reaching the end of the road, societal and political so mask wearing, social distancing and the rest must (IMHO) be supplemented by the vaccines.

And should the worst happen, then it helps to have a society already accepting of the idea (c.f. France atm)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:And of behaviour that reduces transmission.

Jonathan

I'm not sure that folk will take much notice of anything they say now.
They blew their credibility out of the water some time ago, combine that a general feeling amongst the populace that once they've been vaccinated the gloves are off and I rather feel whatever happens next is out of their hands.

If the virus does mutate to dodge the vaccines I'm not really sure what will happen. It'll be hard to get people back in their boxes that a cert.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:Well it's a sad day in R-S-R land and I'm saddened to report that we've done a U-turn and had our first dose of the AZ vaccine today.
Why?
For totally selfish reasons.
Despite what the Govt(s) say this vaccine is compulsory.It's compulsory through the back door.They haven't officially stated it is but it's becoming pretty obvious that life will be made difficult,at least in the shorter term,for those who don't have it.There's already talk of 'Covid-Passports' etc and the way it's going I believe it will get worse.The vaccine will become a badge in the way that mask wearing is.
No mask-No entry.
No Vaccine-No entry.
I still believe it's unnecessary for the vast majority of us and my stance is the same as it has been since day one.
I've been labelled an anti-vaxxer on this Forum and as I've said many times I'm not but I am now wondering what a (wrongly presumed) anti-vaxxer who has the vaccine is called :?

Do your worst,I'm a big boy and can take it.

Your complete lack of understanding of the concept of vaccinations is disturbing.

The protection provided by vaccines is not limited to the person vaccinated - it extends to society at large, and in particular those members of society who are unable to have the vaccine, or unable to mount an effective response to the vaccine.

The necessity is there for people who can't take (or make use of) the vaccine, not for those who might have survived without it.

You might not be an anti-vaxxer, but your stance is basically overlapping theirs.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

philg wrote:AstraZeneca vaccine - was it really worth it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56570364

I read that. I hold AstraZeneca stock, so I have an interest. Yes, I'm an evil capitalist making millions from cruel big pharma. Or something like that.

Except in the case of the Covid vaccine I'm not making anything, and the stock price is falling. As suggested in the article, AZ may well review their pricing once the current contracts are fulfilled. I hope they do. By the time they've delivered all the vaccine they're contracted to currently, the vaccine landscape may be clearer. So it should be easier to see if the Oxford Uni jab is the best option as far as low cost and ease of delivery goes. If it is then I hope the company adds a bit of profit to the vaccine, at least for the EU - if they're going to badmouth the company then we may as well make some profit from it. Then we'll be able to see how wonderful the EU's negotiating skills are. After all, even if AZ doubles to the price to the EU, it's still going to be cheaper than what the EU is paying for Pfizer:

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n281

Plus you can keep the Oxford vaccine next to the milk, instead of in dry ice (or whatever Pfizer needs).
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

kwackers wrote:
Jdsk wrote:And of behaviour that reduces transmission.

Jonathan

I'm not sure that folk will take much notice of anything they say now.
They blew their credibility out of the water some time ago...

Not for me they didn't.

Not everybody thinks the same way as you do.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mikeymo wrote:Not for me they didn't.

Not everybody thinks the same way as you do.

Who says I think that way?
I'm merely paraphrasing what I see and hear out there in the wide world.

(You sound a bit triggered, calm down...)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi R-S-R, Well, you took the craven in the arm route, your strength of conviction has weakened beyond worth!
Luckily there will be a paper trail that would negate the possibility of you having taken the Jag on the qt! But why didn't you stick to your principles, I say this because your posted reasons don't cut the mustard.
For some reason I have the image of Ismay in "A Night to remember", you know the Titanic film. Head man who claimed the RMS was unsinkable, yet who skulked his way into a lifeboat? Didn't look good at the enquiry! Didn't do the "Women and children first".
Vaccine stand outs can't really be seen as conshies? MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Had to nip to the post office earlier so went on my bike (my missus usually takes all my parcels when she's taking her own).

Walked up to the counter and was horrified to see them wearing masks! I'd totally forgotten and the only place I keep my reusable "single use" mask is in the car glove box where it's been since I borrowed it from the hossie a year ago.
They were very polite and didn't even mention it, so I paid up and left.

In my little bubble here the virus is just something in the news, affects me zilch so I generally pay it no heed.
philg

Post by philg »

kwackers wrote:I'm merely paraphrasing what I see and hear out there in the wide world.

I remember the wide world; just - lucky you if you're getting there.

Unless you mean the internet?
Not sure why but Dr. Who 'Blink' scene flashed into my head

<SALLY
When you say you and the guys,
you mean the internet, don't you?
LARRY
How do you know?
SALLY
Spooky, isn't it?>

:D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

philg wrote:Unless you mean the internet?

Of course I mean the internet - mostly my peers posting their post-vaccine status updates.
Mix in a bit of general news, lockdown protests, anti-vax protests and an observation that the last lock down had none of the urgency of previous lock downs and you can get some idea of where I'm coming from.
Could I be wrong? Of course.
But it's a sliding scale and I'm pretty confident there'd be a fair amount of resistance.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

kwackers wrote:(You sound a bit triggered, calm down...)

You missed off the "dear".

But well done, a bit of belittling patronising condescension is always a good way to deal with the trauma of hearing a contradictory opinion, isn't it?