If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Poll ended at 31 Jan 2021, 4:35pm

Vote for the Trade Agreement
44%
Vote against the Trade Agreement
23%
Abstain
33%

Total votes: 43

PDQ Mobile

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Jdsk wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Place your bets!

Is that an acceptance of my offered wager, above?

Thanks

Jonathan

Don't Gamble Jdsk................the ones that did before you arrived are no longer here! :mrgreen: :)

You are doubtless referring to me?
Who you said was boring and tiresome for public wagering.
However I am a person that holds their word.
And less boring than some!

I have two quite lighthearted wagers-both only due to pay (either way) in late 2021.

One (5years duration) on the 21/11/21
And the other shorter one on 31/12/21

The first I feel confident will pay for the less certain second, plus something for my time!
Though a year remains a long time in politics!!
Either way, on the second, a charity will benefit.

Otherwise nothing to say any more.
Don't like obvious censorship from biased, unaccountable, and faceless.
My opinions remain pretty unaltered.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 30 Dec 2020, 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Those City financial subsidiaries in Europe have all been opened long ago. Plenty of warning.

Al

Exactly.
And now they can start to see what it means they get a choice of how much business they do there and make no mistake if it's even a bit cheaper and easier to do it there rather than here then that's where it'll get done.
That's the great thing about services, you can pick them up and move them at the drop of a hat.

In the meantime despite our idiot-in-chief's proclamation that the jobs done, someone is going to have to sit down and actually work out a brexit deal for services and it's difficult to see what cards we've got left to play or even if judging by the last 4 years we've got anyone competent to play them.

I think we're finally waking up to what playing with the "big boys" is actually going to be like.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:
Stevek76 wrote:I'd say the following was of interest:

https://www.politico.eu/article/5-reaso ... xit-talks/

It is. Thanks for posting.

Jonathan

Pretty much it AFAICS,we're out on our ear!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote: ......I think we're finally waking up to what playing with the "big boys" is actually going to be like.

And it ain't gonna be pretty from this side of the channel IMO.
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:
Jdsk wrote:3 The loss of information sharing by the police and intelligence services.
I believe the experts, as cited above. But we don't yet know how much will be lost.

Details now appearing:
https://www.dannyshaw.net/post/the-gaping-hole-in-the-uk-eu-security-deal

And more details of the damage to our law enforcement:
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/law-and-judicial-cooperation-in-the-brexit-deal/

Jonathan
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Stevek76 wrote:I'd say the following was of interest:
https://www.politico.eu/article/5-reaso ... xit-talks/

Learning lessons from Jonathan Powell?
On the so-called 45 minute warning, "Some people – including both Jonathan Powell and Alastair Campbell – regard (or portray) this as pure coincidence. Others may feel that, far from being coincidental, it was part of a deliberate strategy designed to emphasise the immediacy of the threat from Iraq and so justify military action if and when the latter was deemed necessary. " ( https://www.barder.com/alastair-campbell-jonathan-powell-and-the-45-minute-warning/ )
On legality of military action in Iraq, "In his statement released tonight, Goldsmith described how Jonathan Powell, Blair's chief of staff, was one of those who discouraged him from giving his advice on the legality of military action. "I was told that I was not being called on to give advice at this stage [October 2002]," Goldsmith says." ( https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jan/17/blair-ignored-goldsmith-chilcot-inquiry )
And we all know how that action ended, or rather hasn't almost 20 years later.
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

. . . . .And Politico Europe is hardly a balanced read. From Wikipedia:

Politico Europe (stylized as POLITICO Europe) is the European edition of the American news organization Politico reporting and supporting the European Union. Its headquarters are located in Brussels with additional offices in London, Berlin, Warsaw, Paris, and Frankfurt.

In September 2014, Politico formed a joint venture with German publisher Axel Springer SE to launch its European edition...... Among the participants of the launch event on April 21, 2015, was President of the European Council Donald Tusk and then President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz.

Not to say it doesn't have some half-decent articles, but an article by a Europhile who used to be Tony Blair's chief of staff isn't really going to say anything else.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OTOH we have had ten years of an austerity plan that never even looked like working,three hopeless PM's and governments who've run the country into the ditch.The clownatic of the past 12 months being the worst of the lot,whose bumbling has put the country on a disaster coures such is his incompentence,making the UK a laughing stock around the world.

Of course YVMV but the track record is there for those with a critical eye even half closed to see.
The future will tell whether the UK choosing to listen to the likes of JRM,Farage,BoJo andntheir ilk means that future will be a proserous one,personally I'm not holding my breath.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From our back bedroom windows we have a view of almost the whole of Leeds. It's twenty one years 31 December 1999 since people started welcoming the New Year with fireworks (and on that night, welcoming the Millennium a year early.) There were fireworks being discharged for a good 45 minutes across the entire city.

In subsequent years, that display of exuberance and burning money inevitably dwindled although it has continued annually.

It will be interesting to see - always assuming I can be bothered to stay up - what pyrotechnic welcome greets our new-found freedom.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Debs wrote:The EU (Future Relationship) Bill is flying though the HoC like a runaway express train.

Such is the sinister detail lurking in the small print the Tory-Brexit Gov want it rammed though today instead of tomorrow, so MPs have even less time to scrutinise it.

MPs vote to pass EU-UK trade agreement by 521 to 73

Only four Labour MPs voted no!
So you're obviously not a supporter of the main parties, you're in the minority parties?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Act in haste repent at leisure........
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ben@Forest wrote:. . . . .And Politico Europe is hardly a balanced read. From Wikipedia:

No, but it's hard to disagree with the points.
You can argue the detail but nobody that's analysed the deal thinks it's a good one.

For me personally it's not really an issue, we were never going to get a good deal and I'd resigned myself to that fact 4 years ago.
I never understood why "some" people stood up and said we would, I presume they knew all along it wasn't true but where just playing politics by pulling the wool over peoples eyes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:. . . . .And Politico Europe is hardly a balanced read.

We might not be in this mess if there had been more discussion of the merits of the cases and less tribal polarisation and stereotyping.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Those City financial subsidiaries in Europe have all been opened long ago. Plenty of warning.

Exactly.
And now they can start to see what it means they get a choice of how much business they do there and make no mistake if it's even a bit cheaper and easier to do it there rather than here then that's where it'll get done.
That's the great thing about services, you can pick them up and move them at the drop of a hat..

Even if they have "all been opened" that doesn't mean that there might not be a lot more movement of jobs and wealth creation to come.

And the amount of employment and wealth creation isn't fixed... if you raise barriers to trade you'd expect them both to decrease. That's why so many countries work so hard to lower the barriers. Except for mine.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:. . . . .And Politico Europe is hardly a balanced read.

We might not be in this mess if there had been more discussion of the merits of the cases and less tribal polarisation and stereotyping.

Jonathan

As I posted earlier in the thread Tory party = Party before country,by country I mean the whole country,not just their selected parts of it.
What I've witnessed so far is shyster salesmen selling substandard goods with no guarantees,who talk the talk but don't any of the walking.
W H Auden