If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Poll ended at 31 Jan 2021, 4:35pm

Vote for the Trade Agreement
44%
Vote against the Trade Agreement
23%
Abstain
33%

Total votes: 43

kwackers

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Post by kwackers »

Debs wrote:Blimey!
One couldn't make this up :?

PARIS (Reuters) - The father of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday he was in the process of applying for a French passport to maintain his ties with the European Union after Brexit.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN2950VV

I don't see the issue, he voted remain (or so it says in the article).

Now if BoJo was applying for one...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:

PARIS (Reuters) - The father of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Thursday he was in the process of applying for a French passport to maintain his ties with the European Union after Brexit.

I think he'll find it difficult as France also has lockdown rules like wearing a mask ... (and he seems to repeatedly regard himself as exempt from any Covid regulations).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:

"Having supported the Remain campaign during the 2016 European Union membership referendum, in October 2017 he came out in support of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, stating that "the time has come to bail out"..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Johnson_(writer)#Since_2005

But the substantive point is that rich, powerful, well-connected people have always had freedom of movement, and I expect that to apply in the future. What Membership did was allow it for all of us.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Are you surprised?

No, but there are TWO relevant quotes from Casablanca!

Jonathan

And another one from Gone with the Wind :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Are you surprised?

No, but there are TWO relevant quotes from Casablanca!

And another one from Gone with the Wind

Scarlett's or Rhett's?

: - )

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

"By 2030, it is reckoned that 60 per cent of global economic growth will come from Asian economies, adding more than 2 billion more middle class consumers to the global economy.

If there is a Brexit opportunity, this is it — a chance to give some flesh to the vague phrase ‘Global Britain’.

Economically we’ve been pulling away from the European Union for some time.

In 1990, 60 per cent of our exports went to Europe. Now it’s closer to 40 per cent.

We were the only EU member to trade more with the rest of the world than with our EU partners. Significantly, we run a decent trade surplus with the rest of the world; we run a huge deficit with the EU.

The Eurozone is expected to languish in slow or no growth for the foreseeable future, much like Japan. It is hobbled by an over-valued currency, limited fiscal firepower and a monetary policy that has run out of ammunition. It is deeply divided North-South over debt and East-West over civil liberties and the rule of law.

Asia is where the opportunities will be in the 2020s. And America, where consumers and businesses accumulated over $3.5 trillion in savings and liquid assets during the pandemic.

That’s a wall of money ready to be spent.

So the challenge now is for our political leaders, working with business and workers, to equip us to take advantage of the huge opportunities that await to be grasped in a post-Covid, post-Brexit world." - a view from Andrew Neil

Personally Christmas messages from a few Continental friends indicate that my Dutch pals are downbeat about Britains prospects whilst my Bavarian pals are universally envious and upbeat. Not a proof of anything I suppose but I am getting a whiff of sour grapes from the Netherlands.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:No, but there are TWO relevant quotes from Casablanca!

And another one from Gone with the Wind

Scarlett's or Rhett's?

: - )

Jonathan

Rhett's my dear....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Jdsk wrote:"Having supported the Remain campaign during the 2016 European Union membership referendum, in October 2017 he came out in support of the United Kingdom leaving the European Union, stating that "the time has come to bail out"..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Johnson_(writer)#Since_2005

But the substantive point is that rich, powerful, well-connected people have always had freedom of movement, and I expect that to apply in the future. What Membership did was allow it for all of us.

Jonathan

Does he really think that or was he just helping the political ambitions of his son?
Guess we'll never know...

Of course rich and powerful people have always had freedom of movement, money buys everything including a new country to live.
Not that long ago freedom of movement was available to all. Restricting it is a fairly modern invention, don't want your vassals taking their cheap labour elsewhere...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:

If his father get s French nationality won't he automatically get it? Boris Johnson was actually born a US not UK citizen though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:"By 2030, it is reckoned that 60 per cent of global economic growth will come from Asian economies, adding more than 2 billion more middle class consumers to the global economy.

If there is a Brexit opportunity, this is it — a chance to give some flesh to the vague phrase ‘Global Britain’.

Economically we’ve been pulling away from the European Union for some time.

In 1990, 60 per cent of our exports went to Europe. Now it’s closer to 40 per cent.

We were the only EU member to trade more with the rest of the world than with our EU partners. Significantly, we run a decent trade surplus with the rest of the world; we run a huge deficit with the EU.

The Eurozone is expected to languish in slow or no growth for the foreseeable future, much like Japan. It is hobbled by an over-valued currency, limited fiscal firepower and a monetary policy that has run out of ammunition. It is deeply divided North-South over debt and East-West over civil liberties and the rule of law.

Asia is where the opportunities will be in the 2020s. And America, where consumers and businesses accumulated over $3.5 trillion in savings and liquid assets during the pandemic.

That’s a wall of money ready to be spent.

So the challenge now is for our political leaders, working with business and workers, to equip us to take advantage of the huge opportunities that await to be grasped in a post-Covid, post-Brexit world." - a view from Andrew Neil

Personally Christmas messages from a few Continental friends indicate that my Dutch pals are downbeat about Britains prospects whilst my Bavarian pals are universally envious and upbeat. Not a proof of anything I suppose but I am getting a whiff of sour grapes from the Netherlands.

Al

How does trading with Europe conflict with trade with Asia? It's not one or the other. You Brexiters seem to talk as if EU membership prevented trading with growing Asian economies. I've never understood where this somewhat idiotic viewpoint.

Contrary to your claim we do far more trade with the rest of the world than our EU partners statistics show Germany does much more trade with the rest of the world than the UK manages to.
In 2019 German exports to China were worth $108 billion and British worth £30 billion. Similar tale with US exports Germany $133 billion UK $73 billion. Japan Germany $23 billion UK $8 billion. India Germany $13 billion UK $5 billion. Germany even exports more to supposedly Anglophile countries Canada Germany $12 billion , UK $6 billion. Australia Germany $10 billion UK 5 billion. All this with goods priced in what you describe as an over valued currency.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:

If his father get s French nationality won't he automatically get it? Boris Johnson was actually born a US not UK citizen though.

So BoJo cannae be an UK citizen, cannae be PM, so This Madness never happened, it were just a bad dream :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote:"We were the only EU member to trade more with the rest of the world than with our EU partners."

I don't think that's true... any data to support it?

Here's exports as a fraction of GDP... lots of EU Member States have much higher ratios than the UK:
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS?most_recent_value_desc=true&view=map

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:So BoJo cannae be an UK citizen, cannae be PM...

Why couldn't he have always been a UK citizen?

And there's no rule of eligibility by place of birth or previous citizenship for becoming Prime Minister of the UK.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote:Contrary to your claim we do far more trade with the rest of the world than our EU partners statistics show Germany does much more trade with the rest of the world than the UK manages to.
In 2019 German exports to China were worth $108 billion and British worth £30 billion. Similar tale with US exports Germany $133 billion UK $73 billion. Japan Germany $23 billion UK $8 billion. India Germany $13 billion UK $5 billion. Germany even exports more to supposedly Anglophile countries Canada Germany $12 billion , UK $6 billion. Australia Germany $10 billion UK 5 billion. All this with goods priced in what you describe as an over valued currency.

Germany's trade with China (and some other countries) is a stunning demonstration that the UK wasn't held back by Membership. Because, of course, Germany and UK were trading under the same rules.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:So BoJo cannae be an UK citizen, cannae be PM...

I know you're a very literate man, so please forgive my ignorance, but this word "cannae", what does it mean?