If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Poll runs till 31 Jan 2021, 4:35pm

Vote for the Trade Agreement
19
44%
Vote against the Trade Agreement
10
23%
Abstain
14
33%
 
Total votes: 43

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5747
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jan 2021, 3:34pm

al_yrpal wrote:Makes one wonder why the EU are trying to freeze us out because research cooperation has little to do with the single market.

Lots of sour grapes around I suspect. Willing us to fail...

CERN is multinational. More to do with the UN than the EU. How do you move and precisely position a 110 tonne magnet every day. Ask me ( the p_p experiment)!

Al


The UK being excluded from institutions of the EU was entirely the choice of the UK. You like to remind us of who won the referendum. I hope you will understand when we point out the consequences of your choice.
John

Stevek76
Posts: 651
Joined: 28 Jul 2015, 11:23am

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Stevek76 » 3 Jan 2021, 3:38pm

Jdsk wrote:Please could you give us a single piece of evidence that "the EU are trying to freeze us out of" any science programme.

(It looks as if we're going to be able to move to Associate status in Horizon. We're not trying to stay in Erasmus+.)

Jonathan


It's far more the case that we're freezing ourselves out in the conservatives desperate efforts for a symbolically 'clean' brexit, e.g. see galileo and then that ridiculous farce were we bought some other company to look at doing it ourselves, which got quietly abandoned; and erasmus.

Associate status in horizon is also a reduction as it removes our abiltiy to provide steering on the program.

al_yrpal wrote:Not really, worked with lots of scientists in my early and mid career at the RAE ( now Quinetic) and the Rutherford and Harwell laboratories. I cannot imagine hardly any of them wanting to go to Europe to work. America perhaps... I dont base my agreement on personalities..


Er well that's not any better is it? and it's a very real risk, not just to US but other non EU countries. Part of the UKs science potential came from it's ability to leverage EU resources to its own ends.

al_yrpal wrote: If every exporting business had a totally negative attitude like you and your mates Britain would sink without trace


The only negative attitude came from years of people claiming that the EU was dominating the UK despite all evidence to the contrary.

Jdsk
Posts: 5178
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Jdsk » 3 Jan 2021, 3:42pm

Agreed x4.

Jonathan

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8968
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Jan 2021, 4:07pm

"CERN doesn't have moving magnets." There is a lot more to CERN than can be found within the pages of the New Scientist. It wasnt a superconducting magnet either... :D

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody was actually voting with their feet? Or, campaigning, joining a pressure group or something?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

kwackers
Posts: 15231
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby kwackers » 3 Jan 2021, 4:15pm

al_yrpal wrote:"CERN doesn't have moving magnets." There is a lot more to CERN than can be found within the pages of the New Scientist. It wasnt a superconducting magnet either... :D

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody was actually voting with their feet? Or, campaigning, joining a pressure group or something?

Al

I did mention a friend of mine worked on the magnets at CERN?

I don't suppose it gives much away if I link to his page, but I think it shows he knows what he's talking about.
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/physics/staff/carsten-welsch/

If you have any questions that can't be answered in the pages of New Scientist (or by your "pals") let me know and I'll ask him next time we're out running.

kwackers
Posts: 15231
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby kwackers » 5 Jan 2021, 4:57pm

According the the FT London lost nearly $6bn in trading to Europe on the first day of trading.
Wonder how Al reconciles this with his belief that such warnings were just scaremongering.
FT wrote:London’s financial sector started to feel the full effects of Brexit on the first trading day of 2021 as nearly €6bn of EU share dealing shifted away from the City to facilities in European capitals.

https://www.ft.com/content/a434b756-afe0-454d-9d70-ef2d42ea8d55

Bloomberg wrote:Aquis Exchange Plc Chief Executive Officer Alasdair Haynes told Bloomberg TV on Monday that 99.6% of its European stock trading moved to its parallel venue in Paris. Cboe Europe saw 90% shift to its Amsterdam venue, while 92% of such trades on London Stock Exchange Group Plc’s Turquoise platforms were inside the bloc by 3 p.m. in London. The moves represent about 4.6 billion euros ($5.6 billion) of trades, according to data from Cboe Global Markets Inc.

“Europe has clearly won the battle for its own share trading,” Haynes said. The shift “is a spectacular own goal as Britain is now losing its very strong position in trading of European equities in London,” he said.


https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-04/brexit-pushes-almost-100-of-europe-share-trading-off-u-k-venue

Jdsk
Posts: 5178
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Jdsk » 5 Jan 2021, 5:13pm

Why didn't someone warn us in advance?

Oh...

Jonathan

reohn2
Posts: 40642
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jan 2021, 6:48pm

Jdsk wrote:Why didn't someone warn us in advance?

Oh...

Jonathan

You'd wonder wouldn't you?
-----------------------------------------------------------

pete75
Posts: 13646
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby pete75 » 5 Jan 2021, 10:18pm

al_yrpal wrote:Makes one wonder why the EU are trying to freeze us out because research cooperation has little to do with the single market.

Lots of sour grapes around I suspect. Willing us to fail...

CERN is multinational. More to do with the UN than the EU. How do you move and precisely position a 110 tonne magnet every day. Ask me ( the p_p experiment)!

Al


Lots of sour grapes on your side willing the EU to fail.

pete75
Posts: 13646
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby pete75 » 5 Jan 2021, 10:24pm

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:"CERN doesn't have moving magnets." There is a lot more to CERN than can be found within the pages of the New Scientist. It wasnt a superconducting magnet either... :D

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody was actually voting with their feet? Or, campaigning, joining a pressure group or something?

Al

I did mention a friend of mine worked on the magnets at CERN?

I don't suppose it gives much away if I link to his page, but I think it shows he knows what he's talking about.
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/physics/staff/carsten-welsch/

If you have any questions that can't be answered in the pages of New Scientist (or by your "pals") let me know and I'll ask him next time we're out running.


Impressive but compared to his "pals" probably knows nothing as far as Al is concerned.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8968
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Jan 2021, 1:53pm

Although Britain is going down the pan according to many here no one here seems to be emigrating to Europe? Will there eventually be an Exodus or will EU migration continue at the current rate.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Psamathe
Posts: 11952
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Psamathe » 6 Jan 2021, 1:56pm

al_yrpal wrote:Although Britain is going down the pan according to many here no one here seems to be emigrating to Europe? Will there eventually be an Exodus or will EU migration continue at the current rate.

Al

In case you hand't noticed UK citizens no longer have the right to "Freedom of Movement" and additionally are actually banned from entering many EU countries for most purposes.

Ian

Jdsk
Posts: 5178
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Jdsk » 6 Jan 2021, 2:08pm

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Although Britain is going down the pan according to many here no one here seems to be emigrating to Europe? Will there eventually be an Exodus or will EU migration continue at the current rate.

In case you hand't noticed UK citizens no longer have the right to "Freedom of Movement" and additionally are actually banned from entering many EU countries for most purposes.

And apart from that perhaps many of us would like to stay here and improve our country. Or has the opportunity for that also been withdrawn?

Jonathan

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8968
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Jan 2021, 2:11pm

Of course I had noticed! But there is generally nothing to stop most people emigrating to other countries if they wish to and that includes EU countries. Whilst the pandemic is with us that may be impossible but it doesnt stop us making plan to emigrate in the future.

Glad to hear some people have a positive attitude

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5747
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Postby Oldjohnw » 6 Jan 2021, 2:28pm

al_yrpal wrote:Of course I had noticed! But there is generally nothing to stop most people emigrating to other countries if they wish to and that includes EU countries. Whilst the pandemic is with us that may be impossible but it doesnt stop us making plan to emigrate in the future.

Glad to hear some people have a positive attitude

Al


I don't want to emigrate. But that doesn't mean that suddenly I think brexit has been a good thing. In any way.
John