New Year Honours Dec 2020

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe
Posts: 11982
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Psamathe » 31 Dec 2020, 10:54am

In a year when so many health workers, volunteers, keyworkers, etc. have taken such risks to help those suffering I see
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/geoffrey-cox-knighthood-new-years-honours-b1780425.html wrote:Former attorney general Geoffrey Cox QC has received a knighthood for “parliamentary and political service” in the new year honours.

The gong comes despite the Tory MP’s prominent role in last year’s controversial shutdown of parliament ...

Deserving of recognition (other than in court)?

Ian

thirdcrank
Posts: 30544
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2020, 11:05am

Tucked away in there is the title QC - Queen's Counsel. That's mainly means TLF or top learned friend. However, the honorific (?) is awarded to others eg the ministerial posts of attorney general and solicitor general, come with an honorary QC ship, if I may coin the expression. I don't know if Geoffrey Cox was a QC before he became attorney general and I don't care, but there are quite a few politicians about who are happy to flaunt the QC bit who are not eminent lawyers in the way many people assume.

Also, a fair few republican-leaning lawyers eg who don't like things like the Crown Prosecution Service but never seem to mind being classed as a QC.

Psamathe
Posts: 11982
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Psamathe » 31 Dec 2020, 11:32am

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2020/12/31/brave-tory-donors-rewarded-in-new-years-honours-list/ wrote:BRAVE TORY DONORS REWARDED IN NEW YEAR HONOURS LIST
Dozens of wealthy people who risked losing thousands of pounds in bankrolling the Tory general election campaign have received their well deserved awards in the New Year’s honours list. Brave donors who willingly gave up to £50,000, some of it their own, in order to help other wealthy people are at last being recognised.

‘We thought about giving awards to emergency service personnel who attend the Grenfell fire thingy or helped comfort people during the terrorist attacks in Westminster and that other place in London and … that other place,’ said a government spokesman. ‘The problem with that is if you give a gong to one, you really have to give them all one, so instead we decided to give them to people who made a significant impact on all our lives throughout the year, namely Tory donors.’
...

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7604
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Dec 2020, 11:51am

When soldiers hi overseas to risk their lives under Blair you think he honoured them or his cronies? Does it matter more that he's Tory or more that he's not a health worker?

It's a corrupted system, corrupted from the very start of it so why the outrage every time then nothing? Anyone complaining actually send a letter to their MP or perhaps PM about it? Ever?

I personally stopped caring about the honours system. It means nothing to me and if someone I know does something good I'll speak to them personally about it. I don't think of state gongs being worth even the metal they're forged from.

Psamathe
Posts: 11982
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Psamathe » 31 Dec 2020, 11:56am

Tangled Metal wrote:....
It's a corrupted system, corrupted from the very start of it so why the outrage every time then nothing? Anyone complaining actually send a letter to their MP or perhaps PM about it? Ever?....

I used to write to my MPs probably every few weeks (maybe 10'ish times a year averaged out). Can't remember the details of each issue raised but he never replies, never acts, just a safe seat and he just votes along with the (Conservative) whips/party so no thought involved - all in the complete 110% confidence that he'll be re-elected next time round.

Ian

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7604
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Dec 2020, 12:54pm

Psamathe wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:....
It's a corrupted system, corrupted from the very start of it so why the outrage every time then nothing? Anyone complaining actually send a letter to their MP or perhaps PM about it? Ever?....

I used to write to my MPs probably every few weeks (maybe 10'ish times a year averaged out). Can't remember the details of each issue raised but he never replies, never acts, just a safe seat and he just votes along with the (Conservative) whips/party so no thought involved - all in the complete 110% confidence that he'll be re-elected next time round.

Ian

Have you raised the issue of the honours system?

It's highly likely it makes no difference contacting your MP in many cases but we're moving to an area with an active, constituency MP who does act for constituents, even when he ran his party!!! If you're unlucky to have a party pr*ck who does nothing then what about the relevant minister, PM or committee? I don't know but anything other than moaning about X, y or z crony getting a gong every time the party you dislike is in power and uses the system for their own benefits.

This kind of thread comes up with regular pattern that coincides with another round of honours. What a surprise?!!!! Can a moderator not just tag this one onto all the others?? Has this thread added anything other than a new name to moan about getting an honour? Anyone bothered looking up last honours system threads to check? Perhaps the op could have done that first? See if he's adding anything new, if not just add to the last thread or the first one.

Sorry if I'm cynical about these cyclical complaint threads. They're just a little pointless IMHO.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Railway Cuttings East, Leafy Suburbia

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 Dec 2020, 12:54pm

Could one 'adopt' another MP, not the one for the parish where one lives?
I often lived under a tory mp who I didnae vote for :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Psamathe
Posts: 11982
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Psamathe » 31 Dec 2020, 12:56pm

Tangled Metal wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:....
It's a corrupted system, corrupted from the very start of it so why the outrage every time then nothing? Anyone complaining actually send a letter to their MP or perhaps PM about it? Ever?....

I used to write to my MPs probably every few weeks (maybe 10'ish times a year averaged out). Can't remember the details of each issue raised but he never replies, never acts, just a safe seat and he just votes along with the (Conservative) whips/party so no thought involved - all in the complete 110% confidence that he'll be re-elected next time round.

Ian

Have you raised the issue of the honours system?


Can't remember. I write often enough on different issues that I can't remember specifics of all issues raised.

Tangled Metal wrote:....
This kind of thread comes up with regular pattern that coincides with another round of honours. What a surprise?!!!! Can a moderator not just tag this one onto all the others?? Has this thread added anything other than a new name to moan about getting an honour? Anyone bothered looking up last honours system threads to check? Perhaps the op could have done that first? See if he's adding anything new, if not just add to the last thread or the first one.

Sorry if I'm cynical about these cyclical complaint threads. They're just a little pointless IMHO.

If you don't like the thread, maybe don't read it (or do all threads require your approval?).

Ian

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8709
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Bonefishblues » 31 Dec 2020, 12:58pm

Let us rejoice that David Beckham has not been further ennobled :D

Psamathe
Posts: 11982
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Psamathe » 31 Dec 2020, 1:02pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could one 'adopt' another MP, not the one for the parish where one lives?
I often lived under a tory mp who I didnae vote for :?

Mine (current and in other places I've lived) have always been very strict about you living within their constituency, requiring an address on any correspondence (to "prove" you live in their area).

Ian

pete75
Posts: 13647
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby pete75 » 31 Dec 2020, 1:13pm

Psamathe wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Could one 'adopt' another MP, not the one for the parish where one lives?
I often lived under a tory mp who I didnae vote for :?

Mine (current and in other places I've lived) have always been very strict about you living within their constituency, requiring an address on any correspondence (to "prove" you live in their area).

Ian

Living in a strong Tory area I've no elected representative either at local, county or national level. All three have stated they represent the people who elected them. I didn't do that.

PH
Posts: 9786
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby PH » 31 Dec 2020, 1:20pm

thirdcrank wrote: I don't know if Geoffrey Cox was a QC before he became attorney general and I don't care, but there are quite a few politicians about who are happy to flaunt the QC bit who are not eminent lawyers in the way many people assume.

I don't know why you'd raise it if you don't care, but yes a highly placed QC before and after his cabinet position. The gong seems small recompense for the millions in lost income. He had and may have returned to having, the distinction of being the highest earning MP.
Of course the honours system of patronage is corrupt, how could it be otherwise? It a celebrity level of bread and circuses for some and a widening of the trough for others, and of course something to get indignant about whilst the real corruption goes on behind the scenes.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30544
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Dec 2020, 1:49pm

Sorry: I thought it was obvious. I don't care about Cox individually. He was the subject of the OP and triggered my comment about government law officers more generally. I would say he's an "argument weak, increase the volume of your oration" merchant.

reohn2
Posts: 40674
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby reohn2 » 31 Dec 2020, 2:32pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Let us rejoice that David Beckham has not been further ennobled :D

Prolly too busy having another tattoo inked on or swanning around selling more smellies or suits or such like :roll:

A friend of mine got an OBE last year and has probably done more good in the world than any ten political financiers put together.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Tangled Metal
Posts: 7604
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Dec 2020, 3:11pm

Look down the list a bit and there's probably more than a few worthy gongs being delivered. I think that's always the case. Headlines to suit the needs of the seller with personally a lot of worthiness ignored. Anyone checked out the full list and worked out what the nose to the trough Vs worthy ratio is in honours lists? That would be an interesting metric to track over honours lists and governments of different colours.

High trough to worthy ratios are obviously bad but perhaps the honours complained about the most because of a few dodgy headliners might actually work out at the right end of this ratio. Since nobody seems to do the study I guess we have to just run with whatever the media types scream loudest about.