New Year Honours Dec 2020

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Post by Bonefishblues »

fausto copy wrote:Can someone please explain why my post mentioning that John Kirkpatrick, folk musician and accordionist extraordinaire has been awarded an MBE (at last) was deleted?

Didn't he cheat at Tiddlywinks once?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

He was in Albion Country Band and sung with finger in ear.Most of the audience followed his lead,the rest simply left the auditorium.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Let us rejoice that David Beckham has not been further ennobled :D

He is already ennobled as "King of Chavs".
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

mumbojumbo wrote:He was in Albion Country Band and sung with finger in ear.Most of the audience followed his lead,the rest simply left the auditorium.

Oh, very droll. :roll:
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote:I used to write to my MPs probably every few weeks (maybe 10'ish times a year averaged out). Can't remember the details of each issue raised but he never replies, never acts, just a safe seat and he just votes along with the (Conservative) whips/party so no thought involved - all in the complete 110% confidence that he'll be re-elected next time round.

There is no legal obligation for MPs to reply to letters, though if they are more likely to remain in their jobs if they do. But they are bound to end up ignoring serial letter writers; if you really wrote to your MP 10 times a year about different issues it's not surprising you would have ended up being ignored. He/she has around 70,000 registered voters and will also be approached about issues affecting their dependants (under 18s). If everyone wrote 10 letters a year, well work out the maths.

In the last 25 years I have written to three MPs in three different constituencies (1 Labour, 2 Conservative). Both Conservative were/are safe seats, the Labour one wasn't and is now Conservative (and has been since 2010). Both Conservative MPs replied promptly, the Labour MP didn't reply until six months later I rewrote the same letter and asked why he hadn't replied - then I got a reply (no apology). So my anecdotal evidence is entirely different to yours - safe seat MPs write back, a more marginal seat MP didn't until reminded. But I wouldn't use this as definitive proof about how MPs do/don't respond to constituents.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A makeup artist has been honoured, anyone got a view on that?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The role of a make-up artist,if employed by the Nhs is a vital cog in rehabilitation after facial damage.Disguising burns is very hard.Another cadre of worthis work at Vauxhall for MI7,helping to disguise spies etc.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Bonefishblues wrote:OTOH there's an individual who has become arguably Britain's greatest ever sportsman, who additionally had none of the privileges and advantages which usually accompany senior level motorsport entry, never mind success. (It so happens that there are currently 3 billionaire's sons in F1 at the moment!)

Also here's an individual who has become increasingly influential in one of the most relevant and pressing 'causes' of our time in terms of Black Lives Matter.

And competing in motorsport, too - something where the UK unquestionably leads the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/c1nx5 ... lton-story

will he accept such an imperialist british honour from the royals who will have no doubt historically profited from the slave trade ? I just can't imagine him taking the knee to a white British queen.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pebble wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:OTOH there's an individual who has become arguably Britain's greatest ever sportsman, who additionally had none of the privileges and advantages which usually accompany senior level motorsport entry, never mind success. (It so happens that there are currently 3 billionaire's sons in F1 at the moment!)

Also here's an individual who has become increasingly influential in one of the most relevant and pressing 'causes' of our time in terms of Black Lives Matter.

And competing in motorsport, too - something where the UK unquestionably leads the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/c1nx5 ... lton-story

will he accept such an imperialist british honour from the royals who will have no doubt historically profited from the slave trade ? I just can't imagine him taking the knee to a white British queen.

We'll see how it gets handled. Again, OTOH it hugely improves his profile and therefore his campaigning platform, especially in the US.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikepacker wrote:IMHO anyone who decides to domicile in another country to avoid paying taxes to the country they claim to support, should not be even considered for any honour or recognition. And to answer your question; no he has not broken any law as at present except a moral one to the country which gave him his start.

We have people in the cabinet like Jacob Rees-Mogg who use overseas tax havens etc to avoid UK tax. Given that avoidance is practiced by people towards the top of the UK government can you blame any other UK citizen for doing the same? It's up to the government to shut down these tax avoidance loopholes but that is hardly likely when they themselves are benefiting from them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

No government of this country of any persuasion has ever made a real attempt to close all tax loopholes.

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Has he been helping to feed poor children?

Are you asking about specific charitable activities by him as an individual?

Or indirect contribution through the taxes that follow his massive economic activity?

Thanks

Jonathan

One of the oldest PR ploys in the book. Take as much from cheating taxes as you can. Give back a minuscule charity donation for which you make certain of maximum publicity. This glosses over and hides the fact you are a tax cheat.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikepacker wrote:No government of this country of any persuasion has ever made a real attempt to close all tax loopholes.

Jdsk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Has he been helping to feed poor children?

Are you asking about specific charitable activities by him as an individual?

Or indirect contribution through the taxes that follow his massive economic activity?

Thanks

Jonathan

One of the oldest PR ploys in the book. Take as much from cheating taxes as you can. Give back a minuscule charity donation for which you make certain of maximum publicity. This glosses over and hides the fact you are a tax cheat.

You haven't explained why private individuals shouldn't be "tax cheats" when senior members of the government are themselves "tax cheats"? Surely the latter are the most deserving of criticism.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
bikepacker wrote:No government of this country of any persuasion has ever made a real attempt to close all tax loopholes.

Jdsk wrote:Are you asking about specific charitable activities by him as an individual?

Thanks

Jonathan

You haven't explained why private individuals shouldn't be "tax cheats" when senior members of the government are themselves "tax cheats"? Surely the latter are the most deserving of criticism.

I'm interested in what one has to do to deserve the title 'tax cheat'.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

In Lewis Hamilton's case being the sort of person elderly right wingers dislike i.e. young, not white and with more money than them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

In Lewis Hamilton's case being the sort of person elderly right wingers dislike i.e. young, not white and with more money than them.

Don't forget the tattoos and the fashion.