Phone number please.?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycleruk

Phone number please.?

Postby cycleruk » 1 Jan 2021, 10:51am

Does anyone have the phone number for Weight Watchers. ? :mrgreen:
I'm the heaviest I have been for a number of years. Not enough cycling (exercise) due to obvious reasons.
Covid, bad weather and Christmas indulgence. :(
New Years resolution that I have to keep, otherwise I will have to buy some new trousers. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.

ferrit worrier

Re: Phone number please.?

Postby ferrit worrier » 1 Jan 2021, 11:14am

Customer service: 0345 345 1500 :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 1 Jan 2021, 11:54am

ferrit worrier wrote:Customer service: 0345 345 1500 :D

Rang and got answering machine:-
"Due to heavy demand our customer service is overwhelmed with calls. You are 4000039.th in the cue. Please hold and we will answer as soon as our advisor is free."

I think I might ring tomorrow. :roll: :wink:

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 1 Jan 2021, 1:24pm

cycleruk wrote:I'm the heaviest I have been for a number of years

Can’t decide if you’re very brave or foolish. :D I’ve got a simple rule I follow Never go near the scales until the third week of January.
I know I’ve put weight on without having it confirmed. Two rides in the last two months but I’m mentally ready to start again once the icy roads go which doesn’t look like anytime soon. Lot of black ice this morning I could barely stand up.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

rjb

Postby rjb » 1 Jan 2021, 2:08pm

Looks like they have been overwhelmed by the weight of callers. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 1 Jan 2021, 3:47pm

Only joking about contacting WW, but I really do need to lose weight.
Main problem at the moment is, as Paulatic mentions, icy road conditions. Local reports on Facebook of riders sliding off on the lanes that I usually cycle. (Not risking a trip to A&E if I can help it.) Besides it's just too cold to be pleasant and deep breathing cold air causes me to have a chesty cough. Previous to Christmas we had day after day of rain which didn't encourage riding and before you know it the pounds are creeping up on you.
There are a videos on Utube for any exercise that takes my fancy so will give that a go to burn some calories. (as well as reducing fuel intake :idea: )
Don't really need the scales to confirm that my waistband should be a lot less diameter. Bending down to put socks is one obvious pointer :oops:
The biggest hurdle is persuading my wife to reduce the portion size on my plate. :lol:
As they say - the way to a mans heart attack is through his stomach. (as least I think that's what they say. :roll: )

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 1 Jan 2021, 3:53pm

cycleruk wrote:Only joking about contacting WW, but I really do need to lose weight.

Success is much more likely if you do it with targets with a buddy or external supervision.

Has this ever been done on this forum?

Jonathan

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 3 Jan 2021, 9:22pm

Well, I'm relieved to see that it was all a joke. Otherwise, I'd have said, "Avoid WW like the plague..."

Oh yes - well - we are in the midst of a plague anyway, and no doubt WW are operating differently in lockdown. When I signed up for them about six years ago, it was with group meetings in a hall. There was a table spread with all sorts of WW goodies - at a price (I didn't buy any). In the first session, as a newbie, I was sat out in front and then happened to be singled out as the 'token man' (most WW members are women). Not to my liking! The group leader was an 'awfully jolly' young lady who explained that we had to set weekly 'goals' and then aim for them. Based on a once-a-week weigh-in, anyone who'd met their goal was shouted out all across the room...

I lasted exactly two weeks (though they charged me for two months). At least they gave me their celebrated 'green book' which I still have. Rarely look at it though.

Honestly, one (rather uncomfortable) way to lose weight is to have some sort of accident or whatever, and be in hospital awaiting an operation. This is what happened to me exactly one year ago. I was on 'nil-by-mouth' regime for nearly three days awaiting a slot in theatre. I lost quite a few kilos!

I've put them back on since. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 3 Jan 2021, 10:14pm

Smaller plates!!

Seriously it's one big thing you can do to help. There's probably some psychology behind it about portion size judged by space on your plate but I have no idea why it helps but I know plenty of people who found it helpful.

Other things I can think of is that there's supposed to be a dietary and lifestyle way to speed up your metabolism a bit. I suspect since passing 45 yo my metabolism slowed because I suddenly stopped being able to physically eat as much. I have an uncanny ability to only eat enough to maintain my weight. I used to eat 200g dry weight of pasta or rice with the equivalent amount of meat sauce. Now I think two adults and one 8 yo use 190g of pasta, that's less than what I ate on my own. I also are whatever I wanted at other times. Now I get full sometimes eating 75g portion of pasta, however I do have to eat when I need to.

I reckon food intake is important to manage. Perhaps mixing exercise with smaller mini meals spread through the day more frequently?? I'm thinking the feeling of hunger is partly in the mind so perhaps eating little but more frequent might control that by smaller time gaps between feeds. Overall calorie count still needs to be lower.

I'm only guessing and spitballing ideas. The only things I know have worked well for friends and family include the smaller plate trick and the 5:2 diet. My dad lost a lot with 5:2. My mum less so because she couldn't cope with the fasting days, felt too weak to do anything. I guess she's a little like me in that I hit the wall quickly when I suddenly go from ok to no energy because of needing to eat. It's a strange effect because I don't feel hunger so much just have a sharp cut off when I have no energy, blood sugar, energy stores.

One more thing I once read is that in developed, Western countries people no longer able to distinguish between hunger and thirst. Too often mistaken. Such that having a drink might stop your "hunger".

Have you considered getting a concept two rower? A full body workout, probably the best cardiovascular workout equipment and is a good X training for cycling as cycling is for rowing. Another plus is that this brand is absolutely bombproof kit. Good for users up to 300lb and 6'8" tall. If you're taller you can get a replacement rail to allow taller people to use it. Simply the best rower and CV kit out there. You can get apps like zwift but for rowing. Ever fancied rowing around a Polynesian paradise Island???

Disclaimer - I am no expert. I'm recounting things people I know use to control weight and a few things that popped into my mind based on my irrelevant experience. I'm pretty much the weight I was mid to late 20s after started to eat what I needed instead of what the recommended intake for adults which wasn't based on highly active lifestyle. I was 196cm and less than 10 stone. Actually 62kg BMI 16. I'm now 87kg and BMI 22.6. I am naturally careful with my intake. I get migraines if I get things wrong. Whilst my experience isn't with excess weight it's with significantly underweight issues, not eating disorder though. I had to manage my food intake as much as anyone overweight and trying to correct that. Instead of a small plate I got a big serving bowl!! Healthy eating just a lot. BMR according to a gym body composition kit with computer program was once calculated at about 4000calories.

I wish you luck because weight management is not easy in the weight reduction/increase stage. Easier I reckon when you reach where you need to be. I hope you find that out too.

Tldr: small plates, 5:2 diet and good luck. I've been there but the other end of the weight scale. Weight management isn't easy when you're very over or under weight.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 4 Jan 2021, 8:50am

Yes we switched to smaller plates around 10 years ago and it definitely helps.
We get the big plates out at Christmas, eat chocolate, mince pies, fruit cake with cheese and more chocolate. Thinking that’s where we go wrong :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info