Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Jdsk

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Jdsk »

rualexander wrote:
Mick F wrote:Pointless question IMHO.

If you want to analyse all the voting by all the areas of the UK, help yourself.
What about looking at the areas of Scotland?
Did the WHOLE of Scotland vote to remain?
Did some areas or counties vote to leave?

I don't know, but it's a pointless question.

The whole of the UK voted by wards, not countries or areas or counties. The total vote was counted, and the majority of the UK voted the leave the EU.

Every single local authority area in Scotland had a majority vote to remain in the EU.
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... n-scotland

Can't get much clearer than that can it?

I didn't know that.

Thanks

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 3 Jan 2021, 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymo

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:those data

Hallelujah!!

; - )

Jonathan

I know, sad, isn't it? But I got a distinction for my Database module, and this sort of thing excites me!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has a great photo of Mrs Thatcher wearing a jersey emblazoned with flags of EU countries (1975)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad has a great photo of Mrs Thatcher wearing a jersey emblazoned with flags of EU countries (1975)

This one?

But I don't understand the relevance to Scottish independence... ?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 3 Jan 2021, 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I wonder if an independence referendum in Scotland would be based on as many lies, untruths, misleading presentation of Information, lack of honesty and missing information on the likely realities of the options as the EU referendum?

AFAIK the parties are as dishonest as the parties from other parts of the Union. That is very!!

Will there be honest presentation of the independence process? Of matters from Scotland's relationships with countries around the world, economic matters, currency matters, defence to role/position within international bodies. That's just a few of the main topics I'd want to know if I was eligible to vote. I'm not BTW.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:This one?

Jonathan

Wish You Were Here?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

So, the votes are in. Scotland will definitely be an independent thingy within ten years, according to a highly scientific poll on a cycling forum.

As per upthread, there will probably be a united Ireland by then too, so NI will also have left the UK.

That will just leave Wales, who might end up doing a Maurice Gibb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHa6vYq6Nyk
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:This one?

Wish You Were Here?

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell? Blue skies from pain?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo wrote:So, the votes are in. Scotland will definitely be an independent thingy within ten years, according to a highly scientific poll on a cycling forum.

As per upthread, there will probably be a united Ireland by then too, so NI will also have left the UK.

That will just leave Wales...

Or England, depending on how you look at it?

; - )

Jonathan
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Jdsk wrote:The specific point that interests me being that in the 2014 referendum people in Scotland (SWIDT) had an option to Remain in the UK and the EU. If there's another referendum on independence in the near future that won't be the case.

I think this is a key point. I voted in 2014, and the main reason i voted to stay in the Union was the promise of remaining in the EU. I'm not saying that I'd definitely have voted differently if that hadn't been the case, but it was the key driver for my vote.

Interestingly, as someone who isn't keen on independence, I've not had a problem voting for the SNP. This is because I think they champion the needs of Scotland, and appear to be reasonably competent. The fact that they aim to provide Scotland with an opportunity to vote for independence is neither here nor there; it's not something I particularly want, but I don't have an issue with Scots having the opportunity to choose. It frustrates me when politicians of all persuasions equate SNP support with support for independence,
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rfryer wrote:
Jdsk wrote:The specific point that interests me being that in the 2014 referendum people in Scotland (SWIDT) had an option to Remain in the UK and the EU. If there's another referendum on independence in the near future that won't be the case.

I think this is a key point. I voted in 2014, and the main reason i voted to stay in the Union was the promise of remaining in the EU. I'm not saying that I'd definitely have voted differently if that hadn't been the case, but it was the key driver for my vote.

I don't have the good fortune to live in Scotland, and I only have a little bit of Scottish ancestry, but that single factor would swing my vote. (In 2014 I would have preferred a more federal UK which was a Member State of the EU.)

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mikeymo wrote:So, the votes are in. Scotland will definitely be an independent thingy within ten years, according to a highly scientific poll on a cycling forum.

I contributed to this thread but didn't vote. I generally don't on the forum's polls. I don't like referenda.... :wink:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

rfryer wrote: I voted in 2014, and the main reason i voted to stay in the Union was the promise of remaining in the EU. I'm not saying that I'd definitely have voted differently if that hadn't been the case, but it was the key driver for my vote.

I voted for independence in 2014, one of the main reasons I did so was that it was clear to me that with the EU referendum on the horizon, it was likely that a majority of voters in England were likely to vote to leave the EU, and thereby take Scotland out of the EU too.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

rfryer wrote:Interestingly, as someone who isn't keen on independence, I've not had a problem voting for the SNP. This is because I think they champion the needs of Scotland, and appear to be reasonably competent.

I get the impression that that thinking applies to most of my Scottish friends, though that's not a representative sample, obviously. I left (more accurately, was taken away from) Scotland when I was 9 months old, and my left wing Scottish father was anti-independence. But it seems to me that one of the main reasons for leftish Scottish people voting SNP has been a feeling that they were taken for granted by the very London based Labour party, rather than being fervently pro-independence.

As you say, the SNP seems competent, and Nicola Sturgeon is always impressive in public. It's perfectly possible that if the SNP continues like that, some voters will be quite prepared to "go along" with the idea of independence if they are otherwise happy with the SNP.

If there was some sort of novel centre left party in England, or a cause to latch on to, the same thing could happen here. Somebody I know voted for the Yorkshire Party at the last GE. When I first heard that I thought it slightly comic, but he's the sort of person that made me think again about it. He's an extremely highly educated academic (PhD from Oxford Uni in a STEM subject), rather than the beer swilling joker that you might think a party like that would attract. Yorkshire has the same population as Scotland. Who knows?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How are SNP doing with the NHS and education up there? Wasn't there a few reports in Scottish newspapers about them not performing as well as other parts of the Union in those areas? I read it in a Scottish paper not just English, I know if I don't make that clear I'll get the listening to biased English media comment again.