Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Mick F »

Found this in my link above.
The Revived Cornish Stannary Parliament's next large campaign was in 1989, and related to the introduction of the unpopular community charge or poll tax. They claimed that, because the law imposing the charge had not been approved by the Stannary Parliament, "all tin-miners and former tin-miners, all descendants of tin-miners, all shareholders in tin-mines and anyone who supplied equipment for tin-mining" were exempt from the tax. Shares were made available for sale in the Royal Cornish Consols United Tin Mines Cost Book Company at one pound each, the claim being that shareholders would not be liable for the charge. The company was owned by Frederick Trull, who had rejoined the group as its clerk. By March 1990, up to one and a quarter million applications for shares had been made. On 22 March, the Department of Trade and Industry was granted an injunction in the High Court freezing the company's assets, on the grounds that the company was not registered under the Companies Act 1985, and that Mr Trull was not authorised under the Financial Services Act 1986 to conduct investment business.
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by irc »

Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 5:12pm I think poll tax was an attempt at fairness by taking into account the number of working adults in a house. AIUI low or no income you got it paid for you through some benefit system. I
Not that fair. My non working wife with no Income had to pay the poll tax. Or rather I paid two taxes.

The problem with the benefits was that they increased benefits by the average poll tax then had to try and get it back via poll tax. The idea being everyone would have a stake in council spending levels.it would have been simpler if anyone unemployed was just exempt.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

irc wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 6:38am
Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 5:12pm I think poll tax was an attempt at fairness by taking into account the number of working adults in a house. AIUI low or no income you got it paid for you through some benefit system.
Not that fair.
Yes. The Community Charge was even more regressive than the rates system.

But that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead. We're now faced with the highly regressive Council Tax and it's very hard to see how enough tax can be raised fairly by trying more of the same. Looking to the (other) Nordic countries might provide some clues for an independent Scotland.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This could of gone in 'dislike England' thread. Never seen this until this morning very illuminating.
https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/stat ... 04006?s=20
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:56pm
Mick F wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:54pm Was it called Poll Tax officially?
Wasn't it called something else, but the populace called it Poll Tax as an anti Thatcher thing?
The official name was "the Community Charge".

Jonathan
And that was a good thing to call it because that's what it originally intended to be.
Okay so some say one bad tax replaced by another.
The disgruntled were the people living at home with children who were earning where then faced with the bill twice that of the old tax system at least.
Of course the parents paid didnt they.
The bad points will never be ironed out because it means that a minority of people who make the most noise will have the biggest affect on driving the media and public opinion with their banners and marches.

My gripe today we don't buy a lot of stuff because we don't really need it so we don't produce lots of rubbish.
My grey bin which un-cycleble material Goes out about once every six weeks.
Plenty of houses in my street have two bins because they have two adults and two children and they are full and overflowing every time which is Collected every two weeks.
Even my other three containers only get put out once a month probably.
but I pay the same.

Current council tax can be broken down into many ways, police libraries schooling cleaning roads et cetera such a et cetera.
I suppose you could collect it via income tax?

But all of these taxes are reversed engineered aren't they, that means That they need a sum, so they just divide that into the channels and then print the bill and send it to you.

It may go through arbitration but things like the police demand increases and say that they need more facilities/feet on the ground, but it has been suggested that some of this money is also going into their pensions?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 7:02pm
Mick F wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:54pmCouncil Tax is based on the value of your home.
It's based on the value at the last valuation, not the current value. This causes major distortions. And governments have shied any from revaluation.

Jonathan
That's correct and that day will never come when they balance it!

It's just another stealth tax
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 11:13am Current council tax can be broken down into many ways, police libraries schooling cleaning roads et cetera such a et cetera.
I suppose you could collect it via income tax?
You could, and it would have some advantages... comparatively progressive, existing system. And some disadvantages...

In any serious reform I'd like to see a much more local system. The vast majority of local government expenditure is from national taxation, and that's a major barrier to local democratic accountability.

Not only can council expenditure be broken down into those categories, but that information has to be presented to residents by law. And is. That should also be applied to national government... people are often surprised by how much goes where...

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 11:20am Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 7:02pm
Mick F wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:54pmCouncil Tax is based on the value of your home.
It's based on the value at the last valuation, not the current value. This causes major distortions. And governments have shied any from revaluation.

Jonathan
That's correct and that day will never come when they balance it!

It's just another stealth tax
It's hardly a stealth tax, just a rather bonkers one.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And on the not totally unrelated issue of a United Ireland... latest RED C poll:
https://www.redcresearch.ie/support-for ... e-reality/

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think the loathing of Boris in Scotland will do more to help the campaign for Scottish independence than all the speeches by Nicola.
I think by the time Nicols tries to get another referendum Boris will be history.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just musing over this Scottish question whilst scoffing my bacon butty for breakfast. :D

What does Scotland do for us?
Would we miss it if it wasn't there?

Nuclear submarine base?
Oil terminals?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:10amWhat does Scotland do for us?
Who are you thinking of as "us" and "we"? The United Kingdom? England?

Thanks

Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:10amWhat does Scotland do for us?
Nuclear submarine base?
Discussed upthread, with options:
viewtopic.php?p=1635092#p1635092

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:04am I think the loathing of Boris in Scotland will do more to help the campaign for Scottish independence than all the speeches by Nicola.
I think by the time Nicols tries to get another referendum Boris will be history.
Whilst at the same time the SNP are tabling a no confidence vote in Johnson.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:10am Just musing over this Scottish question whilst scoffing my bacon butty for breakfast. :D

Nuclear submarine base?
Oil terminals?
Queenie has properties there.
The rich go shooting there.
Ordinary everyday people holiday there
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:39am
Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:10am Just musing over this Scottish question whilst scoffing my bacon butty for breakfast. :D

Nuclear submarine base?
Oil terminals?
Queenie has properties there.
The rich go shooting there.
Ordinary everyday people holiday there
I think that sums it up.

Controversial question though eh? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall