Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

reohn2

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 10:38am
reohn2 wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:39am
Mick F wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 9:10am Just musing over this Scottish question whilst scoffing my bacon butty for breakfast. :D

What does Scotland do for us?
Would we miss it if it wasn't there?

Nuclear submarine base?
Oil terminals?
Queenie has properties there.
The rich go shooting there.
Ordinary everyday people holiday there
I think that sums it up.

Controversial question though eh? :wink:
Very.
Yours and my reasons are why Westminster don't want the Scots to have a referendum.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Paulatic »

I see Prince Charles has recently delivered a speech.
"Emancipation, self-government and independence were your way-points. Freedom, justice and self-determination have been your guides."
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

by Mick F » 30 Nov 2021, 9:10am
Just musing over this Scottish question
I thought the Scottish Question was. "Are you looking at me, pal ?"

EDIT: Or, "You'll have had your tea ?"
Agitate, educate, organise.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 1:22pm I see Prince Charles has recently delivered a speech.
"Emancipation, self-government and independence were your way-points. Freedom, justice and self-determination have been your guides."
What's Scots for "sauce" and "goose" and "gander"? Or Gaelic?

; - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Why the Scottish Tory leader wants to oust Boris Johnson":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-59998105

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Boris says
“It is the right of every Ukrainian to determine how they are governed
but not Scotland perhaps :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

English guy goes into a rough bar in Glasgow:

I'll have a lager and lime please?

Barman: 'We don't do cocktails pal' :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Is Wales following Scotland in a bid for independence?":
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... dependence

A thoughtful update.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An interesting off-the-record comment about Alex Salmond which was apparently recorded.

Alex Salmond lawyer guilty of professional misconduct
Mr Jackson could also be heard saying: "I don't know much about senior politicians but he (Alex Salmond) was quite an objectionable bully to work with, in a way that I don't think Nicola [current first minister Nicola Sturgeon] is.

"I think he was a nasty person to work for...a nightmare to work for."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61216821
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I think after Scotland, probably Northern Ireland.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its a receding possibity

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

T Marshall in his good book points out the UK needs the Scottish airbase at Lossiemouth to intercept Russian aircraft.These are more aggressive at testing UK air defences and have to be chased away by the RAF.
He is at pains to point out without Scotland UK loses its excellent submarine base.It would not be easy to replace.

Hail to the Union!. Give Scots anything they want to stay in.An independent political entity might be the first fatal step to disaster.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I was up in Arran area recently and the bilingual road signs made me think of Wales but also catalonia. They all heavily promoted their regional language as a means to promote a stronger national identity.

I think it's a good thing but I always thought gaelic was more a northern and island language. I thought Scots was more the dialect/ language in the South of Scotland and aiui is under threat more. Are the SNP doing much to promote it or not? Does it not count as important to promoting independence being a dialect not a language proper? Of no use to them?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 8:06pm He is at pains to point out without Scotland UK loses its excellent submarine base.It would not be easy to replace.
The options are discussed upthread:
viewtopic.php?p=1635092#p1635092

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 9:07pmI think it's a good thing but I always thought gaelic was more a northern and island language. I thought Scots was more the dialect/ language in the South of Scotland and aiui is under threat more. Are the SNP doing much to promote it or not? Does it not count as important to promoting independence being a dialect not a language proper? Of no use to them?
The Scottish Government on Scots and Gaelic:
https://www.gov.scot/policies/languages/scots/
https://www.gov.scot/policies/languages/gaelic/

Looks to me like support and clear policies for both.

Jonathan