Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Jdsk

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Jdsk »

I don't expect the effects on Scotland of Leaving the EU to be seen as beneficial any time soon.

For example last week's failure to reach agreement on fishing:
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/bu ... sh-barons/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by thirdcrank »

Talking of fish, I get most of my info from Private Eye - probably London-centric - but salmon farms seem to be no credit to anybody.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Anything in Private Eye about Scotland should be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.
The person who writes about salmon farms has always had an irrational hatred of them and never seems to write anything which is not derogatory.
In the area where I live in West Scotland hundreds if not thousands of jobs are dependent either directly or indirectly on salmon farms. One of my sons got his first real job on a salmon farm and got an excellent training which has led him on to a worthwhile career in another field which he would not have had the opportunity of otherwise.
I have scuba dived around salmon farms as well and our best catches of scallops came from those areas.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

ambodach wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:30pm Anything in Private Eye about Scotland should be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.
The person who writes about salmon farms has always had an irrational hatred of them and never seems to write anything which is not derogatory.
In the area where I live in West Scotland hundreds if not thousands of jobs are dependent either directly or indirectly on salmon farms. One of my sons got his first real job on a salmon farm and got an excellent training which has led him on to a worthwhile career in another field which he would not have had the opportunity of otherwise.
I have scuba dived around salmon farms as well and our best catches of scallops came from those areas.
There's one story I was told (in Scotland) about a community objecting to a salmon farm proposed by a large landowner, getting permission to buy the area out and then.... opening a salmon farm. As said I was told the story whilst in Scotland but have no idea if it's true.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?
I've got to the point in saying, bring it on!

I doubt it'll happen, but if the rest of the UK had a vote on this, they would be out rather quickly methinks.
Stop belly-aching, and go.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:46pmI doubt it'll happen, but if the rest of the UK had a vote on this, they would be out rather quickly methinks.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... ut-scotlan

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Half of the English people?

Did they they as us all or did they extrapolate?
My guess is that they only extrapolated.

Rubbish survey, unless you ask everybody.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's easy to calculate the size of survey needed to bring the sampling error down to any specified level:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_error

It's much harder to make surveys representative. But YouGov follows the rules of the British Polling Council:
https://yougov.co.uk/about/panel-method ... search-qs/

However it's obvious that your personal opinion (n = 1) is way off the typical view of England.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 5 May 2021, 5:12pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:46pmStop belly-aching, and go.
Why do you describe discussion of independence as "belly-aching"? Effective democracy depends on discussion and understanding.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick, you dont live in England so how do you know? :wink:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

tenbikes wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 2:52pm
al_yrpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 12:10pm Mickey Mouse hasnt signed it? :D Seriously, if Scots want it they should have it!

Al
It's probably been said before, but as Scottish independence affects the whole of the U K then any referendum needs to be UK wide. Then they might just win!

On that basis the whole of Europe should have had a vote in the Leave referendum!
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re Brexit, the governing treaty had a protocol for member states leaving.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

People of the UK should have a say about the UK.
People of the EU should have a say about the EU.

What about people in the EU who never really thought that UK were wholeheartedly in the EU?
How many people in England/Scotland/Wales/N-Ireland considered themselves UK-ish and not EU-ish?

I don't know the answers, but I can answer for myself.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Does that reasoning mean as we were EU citizens the EU should have had a say on Brexit?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If the UK is the UK, it won't be UK if Scotland leave it.
Therefore people of UK should have a say in their nationality.

EU on the other hand, are/were an economic union, which would still exist if one or two countries left it.
Doesn't mean that EU people shouldn't have a say who's in and who's out.
Mick F. Cornwall