Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Stevek76

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Stevek76 »

Rubbish survey, unless you ask everybody.
Not really, it's a properly conducted survey. not a social media straw poll or something.

The weakest part is likely to be that people are notoriously bad at predicting their future selves in hypothetical scenarios.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
ambodach

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by ambodach »

Ben@Forest wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:44pm
ambodach wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:30pm Anything in Private Eye about Scotland should be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.
The person who writes about salmon farms has always had an irrational hatred of them and never seems to write anything which is not derogatory.
In the area where I live in West Scotland hundreds if not thousands of jobs are dependent either directly or indirectly on salmon farms. One of my sons got his first real job on a salmon farm and got an excellent training which has led him on to a worthwhile career in another field which he would not have had the opportunity of otherwise.
I have scuba dived around salmon farms as well and our best catches of scallops came from those areas.
There's one story I was told (in Scotland) about a community objecting to a salmon farm proposed by a large landowner, getting permission to buy the area out and then.... opening a salmon farm. As said I was told the story whilst in Scotland but have no idea if it's true.
Not a story I have heard but anything is possible. The only objection I have to many of the farms is that they are Norwegian owned but they do have the expertise and benefit of scale.
We got permission at one time to use a bit of sea in an inconspicuous bay for mussel culture. When the proposal was first published dozens of people suddenly discovered they spent all day every day watching birds in the area. Since I could see the area from my house I knew this to be a complete lie in every case so I am skeptical about objectors.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote: 5 May 2021, 8:12pm If the UK is the UK, it won't be UK if Scotland leave it.
Will it be known as rUK or maybe Little Britain?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ben@Forest wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:44pm There's one story I was told (in Scotland) about a community objecting to a salmon farm proposed by a large landowner, getting permission to buy the area out and then.... opening a salmon farm. As said I was told the story whilst in Scotland but have no idea if it's true.
True or not I’d put money on the fact it was told by someone who isn’t keen on the idea of land and resources being helped back into community ownership. The feeling is too much of Scotland has been and still is owned by absentee landlords many from overseas. A current case in Caithness regarding wind farms is an example. A Dane's sporting interest hindering local growth.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Does the UK really cease to be UK of Scotland leaves? I thought it would still leave Wales, Northern Ireland and England United hence United kingdoms. Isn't it putting too much importance on Scotland making that claim?

Perhaps the EU should stop having the Union part in their name now the UK has left? A bit ridiculous both ideas IMHO?

BTW my view on Scottish independence is that it's they're issue not mine living in England? I just feel bad that they'll probably be left a fiefdom of the SNP and do not like the ideas towards currency and bank of last resort. If Scotland could do something about those issues if certainly feel much happier about Scottish independence. It's not important whether I'm happy but they're still neighbours and stability with a country we share a land border is still important.

The corollary to that is I'm also concerned that England and Wales could be left as a fiefdom of the current incarnation of the tory party after Scottish independence. I don't think either nation deserves that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's not much doubt that the UK would be the successor state if Scotland became independent. This affects all sort of treaties and assets.

I expect that it would be called "the United Kingdom" for short and "the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland" in full. There'd be an argument about the historical status of Wales before union, but as with the similar argument about Northern Ireland it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

(But of course it would be tempting to call it "England" and save both time and rereprinting the headed notepaper.)

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Mick F wrote: 5 May 2021, 8:12pm If the UK is the UK, it won't be UK if Scotland leave it.
Therefore people of UK should have a say in their nationality.
As mentioned before, the UK is so called because of the Union of the Great Britain and Ireland. Not because of the Union of Scotland and England.
Therefore, if the people of Scotland choose to become an independent nation again, the UK can still be the UK.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

rualexander wrote: 6 May 2021, 12:19am
Therefore people of UK should have a say in their nationality.
As mentioned before, the UK is so called because of the Union of the Great Britain and Ireland. Not because of the Union of Scotland and England.
Therefore, if the people of Scotland choose to become an independent nation again, the UK can still be the UK.
But whenIreland is united the name United Kingdom will be difficult to sustain.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a prince of Wales so why isn't the Queen a queen of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and for a while longer Scotland as well? Fact it's one queen of all those nations means its united queendom of great Britain and Northern Ireland surely? Sorry Kingdom, we're in a male gendered sovereign nation but my point stands. If there are two or more nations with one monarch then it's a United Kingdom.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:37pm Does the UK really cease to be UK of Scotland leaves? I thought it would still leave Wales, Northern Ireland and England United hence United kingdoms. Isn't it putting too much importance on Scotland making that claim?
United Kingdom is on much firmer ground than United Kingdoms. There never was a union with a kingdom of Wales or a kingdom of Northern Ireland.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 5 May 2021, 11:37pmPerhaps the EU should stop having the Union part in their name now the UK has left?
Why would one of twenty-eight Member States leaving make it any less a union than it was before?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If all we've got to worry about is what we'll call our country in future, we've nothing to worry about at all. On the plus side, we won't have to stand being lectured on this and similar by the Gordon Jackson tribute acts.

We could go along with what seems to be the usage in much of the rest of the World and stick with England.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 May 2021, 9:12am If all we've got to worry about is what we'll call our country in future, we've nothing to worry about at all.
Macedonians might disagree...

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think your wrong in that everybody knows exactly where England is, even though much of the World's population believes it's bigger than it really is.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I was joking when I suggested saving time and money and going straight to England. But of course the naming will be simple if it does get to that stage. It's much harder if the other countries leave one at a time, and that seems more likely to me.

Jonathan