Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Stevek76

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Stevek76 »

There's little reason to doubt yougovs numbers there, they can easily be a bit off - random error on 1000 is ~+/-3% for sampling a 50/50 population and there will undoubtedly be some degree of sampling error but none of that will change the broad result.

The largest potential error with hypothetical polls like that is that people themselves are notoriously rubbish predictors of their future views and actions.

It's an accurate indication of what people presently think they'll think and needs to be viewed, like all such hypothetical polls, in that context
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Jdsk »

To support growth in active travel, we also agree that:
• local authorities will be encouraged to deliver more Safe to School initiatives, with the aim of ensuring every child who lives within two miles of school is able to walk or wheel safely.
• all appropriate roads in built up areas will have a safer speed limit of 20 mph by 2025. A task group will be formed to plan the most effective route for implementation.
• Transport Scotland will work with Police Scotland to develop a one year pilot project to develop an online reporting system enabling anyone to upload camera footage of dangerous driving.
• our support for the purchase of new buses will be, where appropriate, conditional on space being available for bike transport in addition to wheelchair and buggy space.
• Transport Scotland will work with local and regional transport authorities on the establishment of an active freeway network for Scotland comprising local networks within towns and cities and connecting settlements and major destinations with high quality, safe routes.

and a fair bit more on transport.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

They talk a good game but that's about it.

We've had 20mph speed limits for nearly a year in all the towns in the Borders and it was a little observed to start with, but now it is largely ignored with people driving how they always have - police have given up on roads. Cycling in towns and villages does not feel remotely safer.

They're always promising safer cycling but it never happens. Sadly the SNP aren't remotely interested in anything other than independence.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 4:54pmWe've had 20mph speed limits for nearly a year in all the towns in the Borders and it was a little observed to start with, but now it is largely ignored with people driving how they always have - police have given up on roads.
Are there any data since the end of March 2021?

And is the evaluation by Edinburgh Napier available yet?

Thanks

Jonathan

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/19 ... shown-map/

The dashboard:
http://scottishborders.tracsis-tads.com/conduit/borders
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

for me the data is very misleading, yes overall speeds may have been reduced a little, but the only ones driving slower are the good careful and considerate drivers that never posed any real danger to cyclists in the first place. The idiots who have always driven in an antisocial manner whilst playing with their mobile phones have not changed their way in the slightest. The lower speed limits have not made the situation any worse and I hope they persist after the 18 month trial, but for me and other cyclists that I know, it has not changed anything.

Sadly the police will not enforce any road laws now, they're just not remotely interested.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Paulatic wrote: 23 May 2021, 6:24pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 23 May 2021, 10:43am But maybe not a good idea at the moment and certainly maybe not a good idea to spend so much time talking about it in the Scottish parliament that the SNP do
Really?
Are you sure you haven’t been listening to the Tories and Unionist press.
Have you just listened to SNP and independence backing Scottish press?

You did see what I did there, mirrored your comment in light of your seemingly obvious support for independence and unwillingness to accept the perhaps the opinion that SNP would still fail to win a fair referendum on independence.

Of course nobody will know more than that the last plebiscite on the matter it was a no to independence. Everything else is just hot air flowing from people's keyboards. Perhaps we're in a new political generation and it's time for another vote on the matter. And another a few more years after. The more desperate SNP get the shorter the generations between each referendum becomes.

If it ever happens I wish the new Scottish people the best of luck. However I personally think that if there's a vote on it any time soon there should also be a complete democratic overhaul whatever the result and a federal system to whatever remains of the union.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:50pm Have you just listened to SNP and independence backing Scottish press?
No
My timeline includes unionists.

Spent last week in Yorkshire and met up with long-standing, 50 years, friends. Very interesting listening to their views on NS and an Independent Scotland obviously gleaned from North Yorks papers and BBC News.
Not my experience of living here.
Something else I find interesting you resurrect a quote of mine from 3 months ago on yet again the SNP bad. I know you have a low opinion of them that is your prerogative. Whatever it is concerns or worries you about an Independent Scotland I can’t figure out. Your pet subject of federal states sounds interesting but do you really think they will be implemented in time to save the Union?
Don’t answer that I’m really not interested. I’m sick to the back teeth of those outwith Scotland sticking their oar into something which concerns those within Scotland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

(Tin hat on)

I think that Boris is actually doing the Scots a favour. By saying No to another independence vote he is actually just delaying the vote that, to me, looks inevitable. But that delay means it won't happen until the mid 2020s at the earliest, which gives the effects of Brexit a chance to work through, so that the vote can take place in a better informed way with less speculation and more fact.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 7:34amI think that Boris is actually doing the Scots a favour. By saying No to another independence vote he is actually just delaying the vote that, to me, looks inevitable. But that delay means it won't happen until the mid 2020s at the earliest, which gives the effects of Brexit a chance to work through, so that the vote can take place in a better informed way with less speculation and more fact.
Complicated, isn't it?

I agree that delay of the next referendum probably increases the chance of consequent independence.

Whatever it is about Johnson that attracts some voters doesn't seem to work in Scotland. Who knows about his successor?

Delay also brings unification of Ireland into play.

Will anyone change their mind as the effects of Leaving the EU become more obvious, or are opinions already set in stone? Or "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."? Of course the young eventually replace the old, and more voters will have had more years of formal education.

Jonathan

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedfieldWilt ... 2539246600
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Brexit Covid that should be blaming the milkman :mrgreen:

What about the deaths through alcoholism in Scotland and then as of course the drug deaths.
Did they have a cleanup be heart related test too?
Children seem to be brainwashed by older people unfortunately will follow the same paths.
I think possibly that Scotland doesn't see a lot of sunlight compared with the rest of the country like where I live far away as you can get bar Cornwall Over the border.

We can't really quote polls because they always tend to sit on a knife edge.

No one is against Scotland really but the bleating about independence is wearing a bit thin, how is Scotland gonna be better off without support from the rest of the UK.

I don't think they will be I think it's more about seizing power, I used to see that sort of thing in world international and national firms, It's called Empire building.

If Scotland are so optimistic and so prosperous they won't have any trouble on day one when they hit the money markets?
But we know that's never going to happen is it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 10:16amI think possibly that Scotland doesn't see a lot of sunlight compared with the rest of the country like where I live far away as you can get bar Cornwall Over the border.
Vitamin D deficiency increases with latitude. But it's easy to prevent.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 10:16am... how is Scotland gonna be better off without support from the rest of the UK.
Increased self-determination. Membership of the EU.

Jonathan

PS: I'm not Scottish and I don't live in Scotland. But I'm very interested in the argument, and in the future of England.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The trouble is that Scotland is just too small for the EU to be worried about/care about.
Nobody in politics today is ever going to see rejoining the EU?
I don't really care what Scotland do but I do care that if the financial situation was to take downturn in Scotland, How many years will they expect us to prop them up, I'm thinking that the political Scotland Hasn't really thought about how they're really going to finance independence true independent that is.
The prime minister will be hard pressed to justify ever ending financial support for Scotland whilst they rule themselves?
Maybe you should ask the rest of the country especially the ones living in poor areas like the south-west of England and Wales and some of the north of England If they'd like to support independent Scotland financially and for how long?

In Cornwall at the moment there is a Situation going on where people born there will never be able to live there because they won't be able to afford it.
I don't think they're going to be very happy about propping up so called independant Utopia.

https://dizwa.com/what-does-independence-really-mean/
"The word “Independence” has two parts itself “In-Dependence”. Its literal meaning is “not depending on others”. When we think about what does independence really mean ? we are thinking about Self-sufficiency, self-reliance and self-sustenance."

Devolution is not independence, and that might be as good as it gets.

As to the question of the title-
https://askanydifference.com/difference ... istration/

They both have to coexist for success, you can't have one without the other with independence, but they don't always get on do they............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 10:30amThe trouble is that Scotland is just too small for the EU to be worried about/care about.
An independent Scotland in the EU would be middle-sized on many criteria.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 10:30am Nobody in politics today is ever going to see rejoining the EU?
I'm 68y old, and would put money on seeing both Scotland and what-is-currently Northern Ireland in the EU.

Jonathan