Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

irc

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by irc »

Paulatic wrote:1 Carry on as we are and let the electoral voice of England decide your future or
2 You take charge of your own destiny.

What about making a decent job of using ther powers they aleady have? Health, education, most law, police, fire, ambulance, local govt, .environment, etc, etc. Not sure the retained UK powers have much effect on everyday life.

The SNP keep banging on about more powers but have had to ask the UK to retain control of some benefits as after 5 years preperation they weren't ready to take them on.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/174 ... ayed-2024/

Take charge of our destiny? Like the way they have handled ferry building? More than double the original cost and a completion date receding into the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49042833

Highest drug deaths in the world. Educational attainment gap static. The report on education publication date delayed until after the election.

Using Covid funds, a one off source of cash, to fund ongoing commitments like the NHS 4% pay rise.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/15386

The Saudi Arabia of wind? Millions spent. Companies gone bust.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55172349
Tangled Metal

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Do be careful with your sources. No English media bias allowed like the herald. :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote:Do be careful with your sources. No English media bias allowed like the herald. :lol:

That’s right :wink: The Herald in every edition declares that it does not endorse any political party. However, the newspaper backed a 'No' vote in the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence.
Surely even you must find it a little odd if NS steals a chip it’s all over your media yet Boris uses public money for access into Jennifer Acuri's knickers and AFAIK the BBC have never mentioned it.

irc wrote:What about making a decent job of using ther powers they aleady have? Health, education, most law, police, fire, ambulance, local govt, .environment, etc, etc.

Do I have a better memory than @irc? We’ve covered this ground before and you keep trotting out the same stuff as do I perhaps. What I’ve quoted from you there would be better if you used 'IMHO'.
When you use the word 'they' I suspect you mean SNP who currently hold the majority in our Scottish Parliament. If your dissatisfaction with Scot gov is valid then surely others dissatisfaction of U.K.gov is also valid.
I suppose if you don’t accept we were lied to at Ref1 and promises made with no intention of delivering then you can readily take your stance. There are a significant number of people thinking differently. Even if it’s another No, if it’s run fair and true, I suspect that will be the end for a long time.
It’s anyone’s guess what Scot Tories are going to talk about when Independence is off the agenda. Dross was worse than abysmal last night.

Tangled Metal wrote:I do have concern for people in Scotland and those just on the English side of the border who it will affect more
What are your concerns? Should I be concerned living near the border and historically constantly crossing it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if they will streamline the legal system to get rid of sheriffs etc.

No need to bother with troublesome complications like juries. Perhaps a finding of "Not disproven." ie we know you did it but we cannot prove it. Verdict to be delivered by social media.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Funny thing about all newspapers, the want to sell more and as such appeal to their main audience. If one Scottish paper supports no another supports yes. Is the no showing English bias but the yes isn't showing nationalist bias I suppose.

If there was ever an English independence referendum would you expect day daily mail to support independence but say express to support Union (no no idea if they would I'm just picking two papers and example POV randomly)? Does that mean bias or just appealing to their readership?

I just think that if you're saying a Scottish newspaper supports the unionist side in any past or future referendum on independence then it's showing bias when it's probably only representing a part of the population. Probably just one that buys their paper. That's not bias as much as appealing to their probably Scottish resident readership who have a legitimate vote in a referendum. The only bias is perhaps yours for not accepting opinions other than pro Independence. There's always going to be large proportion of Scottish population supporting Union, they are entitled to their views being presented by media too you know.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Probably raised this point way up thread. Sorry if I'm repeating myself. :oops:

There are more Scottish people NOT living in Scotland, that do.
Therefore, it must be true that there are many people living in Scotland who aren't Scottish in the slightest, yet are able to vote on Scottish independence.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't remember if you are repeating yourself; perhaps worse still, I can't remember the term for the logical mistake you are making.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

The electoral role (sorry, don't know how to do the thingy over the O) is made up of the residents in Scotland entitled to be on the role.

The issue ......... I probably made before ............ is that nationality of all the Scots would change from UK citizens (subjects?) to Scottish citizens.

This means that the Scots not resident in Scotland, would have a citizenship change whether they like it or not. They would have zero say in their nationality ................ whereas non-Scots residents do have a say in the worldwide Scottish peoples' nationality.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You really have lost me completely now. I wonder if you are ignoring dual nationality.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I speak as a person/family having lived in Scotland for a total of ten years. Both our daughters were born there.
In all those years, we lived there due to employment, and I can't remember if we were on the electoral role there or not ........ but we could have been.

We're not Scottish in the slightest, and have no allegiances to it .............. but we could have voted on Sottish independence.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's OK, if your grandma once passed thru Scotland or any nations of the British Isles you will be eligible to pay rugby or football for that country. You're still Scottish if you had a granny living there once. You just can't vote if you live over the borders.

With sport I do struggle with accepting distant relatives for nationality criteria just because the competition for the only nation you've lived in or have current connections to is too stiff to guarantee a national cap. With nationality if you want to call yourself Scottish you can. Just residency criteria is the method states use it seems.
irc

Post by irc »

Paulatic wrote:
irc wrote:What about making a decent job of using ther powers they aleady have? Health, education, most law, police, fire, ambulance, local govt, .environment, etc, etc.

Do I have a better memory than @irc? We’ve covered this ground before and you keep trotting out the same stuff as do I perhaps.l

The point stands though. What day to day problems can they solve after independence that they don't have the power to solve now?

Because everything is secondary to independence anything else gets less attention. And because the incombent govt is the indy half of the population incompentent govts are not thrown out.

Imagine a world where independence wasn't an issue. Do you think a govt, no matter what party, would be getting re-elected with the track record the SNP have.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:....
There are more Scottish people NOT living in Scotland, that do.

What exactly is "a Scottish Person"? Is there such a thing as Scottish citizenship? As I understood things e.g. being born in Scotland was not enough to get you a vote in the last independence referendum. I thought being resident in Scotland was the main requirement (or an overseas forces person normally resident in Scotland).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:The electoral role (sorry, don't know how to do the thingy over the O) is made up of the residents in Scotland entitled to be on the role.

It's option-i followed by o in most typefaces on an English Mac keyboard. You can check this and others in Keyboard Viewer.

But that list is called an electoral roll not an electoral rôle.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:The issue ......... I probably made before ............ is that nationality of all the Scots would change from UK citizens (subjects?) to Scottish citizens.

This means that the Scots not resident in Scotland, would have a citizenship change whether they like it or not. They would have zero say in their nationality ................ whereas non-Scots residents do have a say in the worldwide Scottish peoples' nationality.

What do you mean by Scots not resident in Scotland?

I haven't seen that proposed anywhere and I never expect to.

Jonathan