Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

rualexander

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by rualexander »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

The electoral role (sorry, don't know how to do the thingy over the O) ......

No need for a thingy over the O anyway as you are spelling the wrong word.
In this case you are referring to the electoral roll.
Psamathe

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Psamathe »

When it comes to making the financial case I can see one potential aspect that might be a massive help for Scotland. If they are going to re-join the EU and to be treated as a Scottish citizen all you need to do is live in Scotland I can see a lot of people who have enough money (and can afford it) moving to Scotland, claiming citizenship, paying taxes (remembering they are wealthy enough to be able to move there) and then becoming EU citizens again.

And a lot of small businesses currently discovering how long term "teething problems" means (just like how "world beating" in reality means "sub-standard") - they could relocate to Scotland and resume trading.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Anyone in the UK by birth is British.
Correct or not?

If Scotland leave the UK, the people who have been born in Scotland, are Scottish - and no longer British.

I was born in Wales, so if Wales becomes independent from UK, I will be Welsh and not British.
Having never lived in Wales since I was three years old gives me no say in my nationality when and if they ever have a vote on independence.
Dual nationality notwithstanding.

(PS. Spelling is not my best point. Role, Roll, Rol? :oops: )
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote:When it comes to making the financial case I can see one potential aspect that might be a massive help for Scotland. If they are going to re-join the EU and to be treated as a Scottish citizen all you need to do is live in Scotland I can see a lot of people who have enough money (and can afford it) moving to Scotland, claiming citizenship, paying taxes (remembering they are wealthy enough to be able to move there) and then becoming EU citizens again.

And a lot of small businesses currently discovering how long term "teething problems" means (just like how "world beating" in reality means "sub-standard") - they could relocate to Scotland and resume trading.

Yes x2. I'm waiting for the qualifications for the former.

Businesses can quickly and cheaply register in Estonia...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:Anyone in the UK by birth is British.
Correct or not?

Not correct, if you mean has a right to British citizenship.

Jonathan

PS: It's hard to discuss this in any way that has a connection to the real world if terms such as British and Scottish aren't defined... there are multiple different meanings for the same word.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:Anyone in the UK by birth is British.
Correct or not?

If Scotland leave the UK, the people who have been born in Scotland, are Scottish - and no longer British.

That definition means that lots of Scottish people wont be getting a vote in the independence referendum because they don't live in Scotland and a lot of non-Scottish people will be getting a vote.

So if I lived in Scotland I could vote for independence and, if "Yes" made it then I'd have to apply for residence to be allowed to stay living where I was already living ...

Ian
irc

Post by irc »

Psamathe wrote:And a lot of small businesses currently discovering how long term "teething problems" means (just like how "world beating" in reality means "sub-standard") - they could relocate to Scotland and resume trading.

Ian

What's stopping them relocating to Ireland just now?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, My son-in-law was born in Carlisle, lives just a bit lower down. His parents are definitely Scots, pop born in Blackridge, mum in Glasgow.
Son-in-law speaks with a brogue that would make a Gorbals Diehard feel at home, but the lad himself bawls out "I'm nae Scottish!". :roll: :roll: :roll:
Being a Carlisle United supporter he calls on the "Bonnie Blues", but he ain't Scottish?
Sounds like the Pope saying he isn't a Catholic! IGICB MM
irc

Post by irc »

Psamathe wrote:That definition means that lots of Scottish people wont be getting a vote in the independence referendum because they don't live in Scotland and a lot of non-Scottish people will be getting a vote.

Ian

Yes. What I call the Bonds. Like Sean Connery. A proud Scot but didn't love the country enough to live there. Like my brother. Would have voted yes in the referendum but lives in England. Still lives there while working for a East Kilbride based company.

It is only logical. The vote should not go to anybody who won't have to suffer/benefit from the effects.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think there's any universal rule about how a person's nationality is defined; individual states write their own rules. The whole basis of the British Empire was that its peoples were British subjects owing allegiance to the British Crown. As countries became independent, they made their own rules. The right to vote in an independence referendum might be given to anybody by the establishing legislation. In the event of Scotland becoming independent, it would be able to make its own rules. The starting point would be whatever was decided in the legislation recognising independence.

I'd presume that the SNP would press for the maximum ongoing rights in the the rest of the UK for its citizens with the minimum of responsibilities.

Dual nationality tends to arise if somebody goes somewhere without appreciating they are liable for military service. There used to be a warning about this in British passports; there may still be.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

irc wrote:
Psamathe wrote:And a lot of small businesses currently discovering how long term "teething problems" means (just like how "world beating" in reality means "sub-standard") - they could relocate to Scotland and resume trading.

Quite a lot have. And to other Member States of the EU.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/med ... -1.4484485
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/23/companie ... -10795029/

I'd expect something similar into an independent Scotland in the EU by companies that are either near or have a particular affinity.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:
irc wrote:

Quite a lot have. And to other Member States of the EU.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/med ... -1.4484485
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/23/companie ... -10795029/

I'd expect something similar into an independent Scotland in the EU by companies that are either near or have a particular affinity.

Jonathan

Wait, what? So you mean, hang on, let me see if I've got this right, that if somebody runs a business in a country that is near a large customs union and free trade area, but not actually in it, they might, and I may not be understanding this correctly, they might relocate their business to a different country that is in the free trade area? Is that what you're suggesting? I mean, this is just crazy talk, are you out of your mind?? Somebody would have to be a lunatic to do such a thing.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

irc wrote:[
Because everything is secondary to independence anything else gets less attention. And because the incombent govt is the indy half of the population incompentent govts are not thrown out.

Imagine a world where independence wasn't an issue. Do you think a govt, no matter what party, would be getting re-elected with the track record the SNP have.

Jings ...Is my memory failing now I thought I’d rewritten that for you once before as I say I can see your point

Because everything is secondary to Brexit and England everywhere else gets less attention and because the incumbent govt is the English / Brexit half of the population incompetent govts are not thrown out.

Do you really want to go into a Google search war as to which government has made the biggest gaffs. I certainly can’t be ****** and let me tell you that’s not because I feel I’d lose.

I realise you are obviously happy with the result of the last Indyref and either don’t agree the people were lied to or you agree they were lied to and don’t care. Either of those stands I’m afraid I can never agree with.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:And it's out:
https://www.parliament.scot/newsandmediacentre/117301.aspx

I suspect that this episode is drawing to a close. Sturgeon has been damaged and it isn't yet possible to say how much. It will be interesting to watch the act of will needed to campaign.

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 23.30.25.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrDanDonoghu ... 9134388233

Doesn't look like much damage to Sturgeon or the SNP.

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Paulatic wrote:
irc wrote:[
Because everything is secondary to independence anything else gets less attention. And because the incombent govt is the indy half of the population incompentent govts are not thrown out.

Imagine a world where independence wasn't an issue. Do you think a govt, no matter what party, would be getting re-elected with the track record the SNP have.

Jings ...Is my memory failing now I thought I’d rewritten that for you once before as I say I can see your point

Because everything is secondary to Brexit and England everywhere else gets less attention and because the incumbent govt is the English / Brexit half of the population incompetent govts are not thrown out.

Do you really want to go into a Google search war as to which government has made the biggest gaffs. I certainly can’t be ****** and let me tell you that’s not because I feel I’d lose.

I realise you are obviously happy with the result of the last Indyref and either don’t agree the people were lied to or you agree they were lied to and don’t care. Either of those stands I’m afraid I can never agree with.

Both sides lied, we only got to see the lies of the side that won, do you really believe the SNP and Yes campaign didn't come out with a lot of exaggerated rubbish?
The trick is to choose the side that is lying the least and in the last indy ref I think we got that right.