Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Oldjohnw

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Johnson seems determined to alienate ever further the Scots. Today he made them pay for English social care - they already have theirs largely covered. Some have suggested this is another poll tax.
John
Jdsk

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Jdsk »

There's an interesting discussion of the effects of this way of allocating funding at the end of the IfS paper:
"What do the announcements mean for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?"
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15597

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 5:00pm There's an interesting discussion of the effects of this way of allocating funding at the end of the IfS paper:
"What do the announcements mean for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?"
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15597

Jonathan
Thanks. But I very much doubt that the average Scot will see fairness in this, despite the apparent attempt to make it so.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Scotsman: "Analysis: What does Boris Johnson's health and social care tax mean for Scotland?":
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... nd-3374157

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a recurrent concept of Scotland becoming a Nordic social democracy. Norway's election pulls all five of the others together and leftish.

It will be interesting to see what part that plays in the next bid for independence.

Jonathan
irc

Post by irc »

Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 4:54pm Johnson seems determined to alienate ever further the Scots. Today he made them pay for English social care - they already have theirs largely covered. Some have suggested this is another poll tax.
You do realise that any extra cash spent will be matched in the Scotland grant according to the Barnett Formula.

Nicola has no trouble spending money (see ferries fiasco) I'm sure she will find something to do with the money.

Or maybe she could take the opportunity to cut Scottish income tax rates back to UK levels.

(sorry, must have been dreaming when I thought about the SNP cutting tax).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi, are on
Oldjohnw wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 4:54pm Johnson seems determined to alienate ever further the Scots. Today he made them pay for English social care - they already have theirs largely covered. Some have suggested this is another poll tax.
Poll-tax or whatever else you wanna call it was a good thing.
It meant if you were earning enough and using the community you have to pay your share.
Now they just put the bill on the people who can afford to buy a house even though they don't produce much stuff or go anywhere in their old age.
Perhaps you're happy paying the same price to empty your bins as the family next door / Down the street with several working?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 4:36pm Now they just put the bill on the people who can afford to buy a house
Do you believe people paying rent don’t pay council tax?
That’s not my understanding.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The poll tax wasn’t based on the ability to pay. It was based on your existence. And I certainly don’t think that Council Tax is very good. Just because I disliked the poll tax does not mean that I like it’s replacement. It doesn’t work like that.

I believe in progressive taxation.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I think poll tax was an attempt at fairness by taking into account the number of working adults in a house. AIUI low or no income you got it paid for you through some benefit system. I never actually paid it being a student both authorities at home and uni thought the other had collected it I reckon. It was never a good idea but despite that a lot who could and should pay got uppity about it so always going to be scrapped.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Was it called Poll Tax officially?
Wasn't it called something else, but the populace called it Poll Tax as an anti Thatcher thing?
My brain has been fuddled by beer and a good meal. :lol:

Council Tax is based on the value of your home.
We were Band C for years until we realised that similar homes in the same parish as us were Band B.
We complained, but we had to provide our own evidence, so I went out (cycling) and looked at properties similar to ours and noted the addresses and then looked up on the Cornwall.gov website to find their banding.

I made the case successfukly, and we are now Band B, and they gave us a rebate going back years. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:54pm Was it called Poll Tax officially?
Wasn't it called something else, but the populace called it Poll Tax as an anti Thatcher thing?
The official name was "the Community Charge".

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:

Poll Tax cannot be levied on Cornish Tinners by decree from hundreds(?) of years ago by the Cornish Stannary Parliament.
To this end, we went to a meeting run by Fredderick Trull and we bought shares in a (non-existant) tin mine.
We still have the share certificates. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revived_C ... Parliament
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 6:54pmCouncil Tax is based on the value of your home.
It's based on the value at the last valuation, not the current value. This causes major distortions. And governments have shied any from revaluation.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 7:01pmPoll Tax cannot be levied on Cornish Tinners by decree from hundreds(?) of years ago by the Cornish Stannary Parliament.
To this end, we went to a meeting run by Fredderick Trull and we bought shares in a (non-existant) tin mine.
We still have the share certificates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revived_C ... Parliament
Was it explained at the meeting that there are no extant exemptions from taxation or legislation?

Thanks

Jonathan