Vegan "Cheese"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Re: Vegan "Cheese"

Post by Si »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:I've tried dozens of different types over the last 12 months.If you avoid the Lagers(although Aldi and Lidls are OK) there are some quite good AF IPAs/Pale Ales out there.The thing that you have to get your head around is the price.They are generally more expensive than their 'proper' counterparts :roll: I drink more AF beer than anything these days.It's been quite a revelation for me!
I like Red Wine and have yet to find any AF Reds that don't taste like warm Ribena!

I was nominated driver for a night out several years ago. The "venue" had alcohol free beer, as a consequence I had 3 x 330 bottles over a whole evening some 6 hours whilst all around me were getting steadily slaughtered. The following morning I felt like I had done the full 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. I have not touched it since, if driving I now have orange squash.

It's come a long way since Kaliber and St Christophers.There are many that taste pretty much exactly the same as their full strength counterparts.Nowadays they're brewed as normal and then have the Alcohol removed.The old stuff(Kaliber etc) was just chemicals IIRC.
Last night(Friday) I drank 4x330ml cans of Brewdog Punk AF and 6x330ml cans Infinite Session IPA AF and got up for work at 04:45 this morning as fresh as a daisy.I'm currently enjoying some more Infinite session IPA AF and will no doubt be the same tomorrow.I feel exactly the same in the morning if I'd been drinking the AF beer or tea or coffee 8)
I've got to the point now where I actually prefer the AF versions as I can drink as many as I like with no morning after consequences :mrgreen: When all this Covid stuff is behind us and I go out with the lads I'm going to have a full session on the AF!

I'm a convert to low-beer beer. Always liked the taste of beer but never that interested in getting 'bladdered'. Now drink lots of Nanny State. Very refreshing. Also less fattening than standard beer.

Have also just gotten some tofu to make some more cheese. Just need some vegan yoghurt so I can do some lefty pinko tree hugging knitting now.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Very interesting thread for us Carnivores!
You're not a carnivore. Leastways, if that's you in your profile, you don't look much like a cat or a dog - nor indeed a bear or a weasel... But I could be wrong.... :lol:

What you are is an omnivore. Or so I assume. Ok, enough of the pedantry. :oops:

But I appreciate that you find this thread 'interesting'. Though perhaps not 'interesting' in the way you interpret the word....

Even committed meat-eaters in our society are beginning to wonder, could they cut down on it just a wee bit? Could you, perhaps? Maybe you've been thinking about it. One fewer meat dish per week, possibly? Say, meat six times a week instead of seven, or three times instead of four? (depending on your current régime).

In which case you'll probably realise, by now, that vegan 'substitutes' aren't a workable option for many people. Probably not for you. But that doesn't preclude you from having the occasional no-meat treat....

P.S. Just realised that tomorrow is Burns Night. Who's having the traditional Haggis, neeps and tatties? Yes: although neither of us is Scots, we have tried making 'veggie haggis', before now. Mrs P and I are divided on this. She says, it's a no-no, not making it again thanks very much! I say, it was OK, though it wasn't haggis. One thing we can't do: we can't do the Burns Supper as it should be. You can't win always!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

661-Pete wrote:
You're not a carnivore. Leastways, if that's you in your profile, you don't look much like a cat or a dog - nor indeed a bear or a weasel... But I could be wrong.... :lol:

But I appreciate that you find this thread 'interesting'. Though perhaps not 'interesting' in the way you interpret the word....

Even committed meat-eaters in our society are beginning to wonder, could they cut down on it just a wee bit? Could you, perhaps? Maybe you've been thinking about it. One fewer meat dish per week, possibly? Say, meat six times a week instead of seven, or three times instead of four? (depending on your current régime).

In which case you'll probably realise, by now, that vegan 'substitutes' aren't a workable option for many people. Probably not for you. But that doesn't preclude you from having the occasional no-meat treat....

P.S. Just realised that tomorrow is Burns Night. Who's having the traditional Haggis, neeps and tatties? Yes: although neither of us is Scots, we have tried making 'veggie haggis', before now. Mrs P and I are divided on this. She says, it's a no-no, not making it again thanks very much! I say, it was OK, though it wasn't haggis. One thing we can't do: we can't do the Burns Supper as it should be. You can't win always!

The Simon Howie vegetarian haggis is very good, never bother making it myself. I don't know if it's like real haggis as I've never eaten really haggis though.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I quite like veggie haggis, I've never had a real haggis so no idea how they compare but regardless I like the taste.
Good one's obviously, not the dried up veggie alternatives you often get which I presume were dreamt up by folk who wouldn't touch veggie stuff with a barge pole.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

661-Pete wrote:

Pete, We do eat some veggie dishes. I started by stopping at the veggie freezer in Tesco every week and trying some of the things in there. And we like Lentil dishes. Mushroom rissoto is a favourite. What was interesting about the thread is listening to veggies likes and dislikes. I had never heard of veggie cheese.
I have several veggie cookbooks Yotam Ottolenghi's is a favourite, Cranks too. Then of course theres fish and we are lucky to have plenty of nice fresh fish from Brixham around here. In my past life I had numerous vegetarian friends and of course when they came we had to do a vegetarian meal. I do agree about the horrid smell of butchers although I worked in one as a Saturday job when I was young. As a cockney I was brought up on shrimps winkles kippers herring bloaters cockles whelks mussels and fresh crabs and they all appear regularly on our menu.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Pete, We do eat some veggie dishes. I started by stopping at the veggie freezer in Tesco every week and trying some of the things in there. And we like Lentil dishes. Mushroom rissoto is a favourite. What was interesting about the thread is listening to veggies likes and dislikes. I had never heard of veggie cheese.
I have several veggie cookbooks Yotam Ottolenghi's is a favourite, Cranks too. Then of course theres fish and we are lucky to have plenty of nice fresh fish from Brixham around here. In my past life I had numerous vegetarian friends and of course when they came we had to do a vegetarian meal. I do agree about the horrid smell of butchers although I worked in one as a Saturday job when I was young. As a cockney I was brought up on shrimps winkles kippers herring bloaters cockles whelks mussels and fresh crabs and they all appear regularly on our menu.

Al
Sounds good to me. You'd be surprised how much what you've listed matches our 'likes'. And yes we've got the Crank's book - also a couple of Yotam's though they may not be the same as yours. Our favourite for veggie recipes is Prashad - for those who like Asian, Gujarati especially.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

vegan 'substitutes'

Post by 661-Pete »

Bit of a topic 'bump' here - but perhaps it's time we got back into a heated debate which isn't about politricks! ("confound them" - as the National Anthem says...!)

I must admit to being perplexed at this article I've just cast my eye over. I mean, how can there be such an animal as a 'vegan butcher'? The word 'butcher' (vb.) means (in Chambers) to slaughter and prepare (animals) for food; to put to a bloody death; to kill cruelly; etc. Talk about oxymorons!

But we as Western nations collectively eat too much meat. That fact is hardly in dispute. So are these so-called 'vegan butchers' going to work towards that aim - the aim of reducing meat intake to a sustainable level? There are many vegan dishes that I love - and we have plenty amongst our recipes - but I doubt if I'll be beating a path to the door of any of these establishments.

Would you?
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

My daughter is at Uni in Nottingham I will ask her when we visit her tomorrow if she's been there.
'Vegan Butcher' sounds like a contradiction to me!?That said if they are as busy as they say they are then people are obviously falling for the marketing!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In my view the whole vegan thing has grown into a proxy for planetary stewardship. As we all know, the planet is about to cease to support all higher animals and as the younger generations subliminally recognize their fate, they don't know why & they don't know what to do, so their subconscious shopper turns to such oddities as "vegan cheese" and "vegan bacon". Me, as I am already nearly dead, I can continue to scoff cheddar and streaky without so much as a twinge of conscience. "Ha-Ha!", I think, "I ride a bike - I can do what I bloomin' like!".
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 5:48pm "Ha-Ha!", I think, "I ride a bike - I can do what I bloomin' like!".
I do not have too many years left, so I am, in one way, glad that our present way of life will probably be sustainable for long enough to see me out. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see how present trends do pan out.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I certainly have my doubts about these enterprises. We have plenty of vegan dishes interspersed with non-vegan ones, but we don't think of them as a 'meat-dish-with-no-meat'. Indeed, how could, say, our signature masala dosa be compared to any sort of meat dish?

But if the 'vegan butcher' is here to stay, it's an advance on there not existing such a purveyor. For some consumers, at any rate...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Come on then Pete, give us a link to that Masala Doka. Personally, I am very partial to a nice Dal. This is our current favourite... beats chicken soup.
http://chefinyou.com/2012/09/24/dal-bukhara/
I have a whacking great bag of black lentils purchased in Morrisons to make it with.
Must admit with our new home located within 50 yards of a family butcher veggie stuff will probably take a back seat.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 2:09pm Come on then Pete, give us a link to that Masala Doka.
"Dosa". Ha ha Al, you're asking about the quintessence of South Indian cuisine, and I'm sure you've already googled oodles of possible recipes! Many of them on a par with, say, stuffed boar's head, for complexity. Our version, on the other hand, is simplicity in itself, just so long as you know how to fry pancakes (of the flour/milk/egg variety). Of course it isn't a proper Dosa - doesn't involve fermented rice - but we like it! The original recipe is from Riverford: our adaptation isn't online, but I'm happy to copy it right here: (serves 2)
  • 125g gram flour
  • 350g potatoes
  • 1 red onion
  • Light oil for frying e.g. sunflower
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 30g fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
  • Salt & pepper
1. Place the gram flour in a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in 250ml of cold water until you have thin batter. Season with a good pinch of salt. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, cut them into roughly even 1cm dice. Put them into a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer until they are just cooked but not falling apart, about 10 minutes. While the potatoes cook, peel and finely slice the red onion.
3. Put the sliced onion in the frying pan with a little oil to gently fry for 10 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Add a dash of water if it looks like it might catch and burn. Meanwhile prepare the rest of the veg. Peel and finely chop or crush the garlic cloves.
4. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Wash the parsley and shake dry, chop roughly.
5. Drain the potatoes. Add them to the onions with the chopped tomatoes and garlic. Turn up the heat and fry them until they start to break up a little and the tomato cooks down, about 10 minutes.
6. Add the spices to the potatoes. Fry for 2-3 minutes until everything smells fragrant. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the chopped parsley.
7. Preheat your oven to a low heat. Remove the dosa batter from the fridge and re-whisk it. Heat your shallow frying or crêpe pan with a thin layer of oil. Tip in a small ladle of the batter and swirl it round into a thin layer.
8. Fry for 1 minute or so until golden brown. Flip it and brown the other side. Keep warm in the oven while you continue. Repeat until you have 4 good dosas. Divide the potato mix between the 4 dosas and roll them loosely up.
Enjoy!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ta Pete, I will give it a go.

Al
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I became lactose intolerant about 10 years ago (may have been long before that, but previously without severe problems?) Anyway, I used to love pizzas, and only recently found lactose-free cheese. I realise this doesn't fit the vegan or vegetarian criteria, but for anyone who is unable to eat 'regular' cheese due to lactose intollerance, the lactose-free is great.
Could I maybe copyright, trade mark, or make my fortune by suggesting the following...... To label the product they should call it VEGAN CHOOSE :lol:
Mostly I have black tea or coffee (especially if not at home), but I've found rice milk (oops I think it's called rice drink or similar) is a good additive.