Vegan "Cheese"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Vegan "Cheese"

Post by 661-Pete »

Perhaps "CHEEZE"? Would that skirt around trademark, or whatever, restrictions?

Maybe, rather than binning it, I ought to have baited a mousetrap with the stuff. If the mouse goes for it, label it "cheese". If not....

....yes I know! The so-called "cheese-fixation" of mice and rats is a myth - Tom & Jerry notwithstanding - apparently they don't like it very much (though if they're hungry enough, they'll chew at anything). Best thing to bait mousetraps with is, according to google, peanut butter, followed by seeds, cat or dog food, sweets, chocolate, etc.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Friend of mine used to really confuse pizza places, by ordering a vegan pizza with various meats...

Lactose intolerance can be a pain.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Last week every evening I was eating pizza delivery and ordering online went for vegan pizza. I am vegetarian nor vegan but vegan ones looked nice. It only struck me at the end of the week that the cheese on the pizza was vegan cheese. The pizzas were good, didn't notice anything unusual about the cheese and suddenly realising I'd been eating vegan cheese without noticing was the surprise.

(Reason for week of online pizza deliveries was building works ...)

Ian
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

My teenage son has mild lactose intolerance and we buy a fairly decent cheese for him, Arla Lactofree. I don’t think it’s suitable for vegans, and I have a suspicion that it is made by a process that creates more CO2 emissions than cheese ordinaire, but it is edible, which I would contend most of the other options aren’t!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Nearholmer wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 10:46am My teenage son has mild lactose intolerance and we buy a fairly decent cheese for him, Arla Lactofree. I don’t think it’s suitable for vegans, and I have a suspicion that it is made by a process that creates more CO2 emissions than cheese ordinaire, but it is edible, which I would contend most of the other options aren’t!
There are quite a few decent lactose free cheeses.

Hard cheeses, in general, have little or no lactose because the lactose is removed with the whey. Soft cheeses generally have more whey, and hence more lactose. So Parmigiano-Reggiano, Mimolette and similar cheeses are normally ok for folks with lactose intolerance. Aged cheddar or Swiss cheeses are very low in lactose & ok for many people with lactose intolerance.

In addition, there are lactose free cheddar, cream cheese, cottage cheese, and others available in Tesco Sainsbury's, etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Psamathe wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 8:33pm Last week every evening I was eating pizza delivery and ordering online went for vegan pizza. I am vegetarian nor vegan but vegan ones looked nice. It only struck me at the end of the week that the cheese on the pizza was vegan cheese. The pizzas were good, didn't notice anything unusual about the cheese and suddenly realising I'd been eating vegan cheese without noticing was the surprise.

(Reason for week of online pizza deliveries was building works ...)

Ian
Well, the cheese used on shop bought pizzas tends to be mozzarella which I personally find to be completely tasteless and IMO a total waste of space, so that vegan cheese sounds just right.
We buy Aldis 99p pizza margaritas and add other nice toppings and a nice grating of cheddar or parmesan which confers some decent strong cheese taste.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

I prefer my pizzas with just enough cheese to stick the other toppings to the base. I loathe pizzas that have loads of cheese. I don't remember trying one with a vegan cheese substitute but I won't condemn it before I try it. In fact, if it tastes okay I might be looking more closely to see what it is made of because I eat too much real cheese.