R or W?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: R or W?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 4 Jan 2021, 3:01pm

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 4 Jan 2021, 3:02pm

al_yrpal wrote:Next time you watch the tv weather forecast and the person says its going to be mild, listen to them say its going to be mald.

More, please... what would that rhyme with?

Or are you describing dropping of the terminal d?

Jonathan

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 4 Jan 2021, 3:03pm

kylecycler wrote:I think I mentioned this on here years ago but there's a story about when Paul McCartney came to record the song 'We All Stand Together' with 'The Frog Chorus'.

The children who sang on it were stage school kids from Essex and none of them could pronounce 'frog' - all said 'fwog'. He'd say to them, "It's not 'fwog', it's 'frog', but they just physically couldn't pronounce their 'r's, so eventually he had to rewrite the lyrics and leave out the word 'frog'.

Luckily they were all able to stand togevver.

Stevek76

Postby Stevek76 » 4 Jan 2021, 3:28pm

matt_twam_asi wrote:Tom Scott has a good summary.

Was going to post this also though not sure I fully agree with the conclusion as Ross does not use a 'ʋ' but a 'w' which is a seperate consonant again hence the reason it is very noticable when he talks. A 'ʋ', which is becoming the dominant form, is close enough to a 'standard'/older r in normal conversation that few notice.

I'm in the 'ʋ' boat, cannot willingly produce a postalveolar approximant other than when it's effectively encouraged by the rest of the word in passing (e.g. 'three'). I keep meaning to find a bored moment to teach myself to do it, mostly so I can just excessively roll 'r's on rare occasions...

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 4 Jan 2021, 3:38pm

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Jan 2021, 3:48pm

Jdsk wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Next time you watch the tv weather forecast and the person says its going to be mild, listen to them say its going to be mald.

Jonathan
The word is mild.
Pronounced MYLD ............ or maybe MY-ERLD.

What Al is saying ....... and I agree with him ............ they pronounce it MARLD.

Rhymes with Snarled or Gnarled.
Mick F. Cornwall

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 4 Jan 2021, 3:50pm

"MARLD"

Thank you

Jonathan

RickH

Postby RickH » 4 Jan 2021, 4:17pm

It still amuses me after living in this part of the world for nearly 40 years the way some words are pronounced. Not just the flat A & some of the colloquial words & phrases

Boltonians, or at least some of the older ones, would pronounce

"a lorry load of little bottles"

as

"a lurry load of likkle bokkles".

Mrs H, who was born & raised here, can't do a "rolled R" the way the Scots pronounce it.

kylecycler

Postby kylecycler » 4 Jan 2021, 5:24pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Luckily they were all able to stand togevver.

:lol:

Ride-sleep-repeat

Postby Ride-sleep-repeat » 4 Jan 2021, 6:07pm

My son struggled when younger and went to a speech therapist.He's 13 now but still pronounce 'V' as 'W'.It's only slight but I hear it.

One of my pet hates is Aaarx for ask.Seems to be a Southern thing.A cycling friend of mine pronounces Bath Baaarf.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 4 Jan 2021, 6:10pm

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:One of my pet hates is Aaarx for ask.Seems to be a Southern thing.

It has a fascinating history, and a current cultural relevance:
"Why Chaucer Said 'Ax' Instead Of 'Ask,' And Why Some Still Do"
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/12/03/248515217/why-chaucer-said-ax-instead-of-ask-and-why-some-still-do?t=1609783712697

Jonathan

Stevek76

Postby Stevek76 » 4 Jan 2021, 6:17pm

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:A cycling friend of mine pronounces Bath Baaarf.

Well the f is off, but Bath is very much pronounced Baarth if you're from these parts with the amount of 'r' varying depending on the amount of west country being added... :wink:

See 'Trap Bath Split'.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 4 Jan 2021, 10:22pm

Stevek76 wrote:
matt_twam_asi wrote:Tom Scott has a good summary.

Was going to post this also though not sure I fully agree with the conclusion as Ross does not use a 'ʋ' but a 'w' which is a seperate consonant again hence the reason it is very noticable when he talks. A 'ʋ', which is becoming the dominant form, is close enough to a 'standard'/older r in normal conversation that few notice.

I'm in the 'ʋ' boat, cannot willingly produce a postalveolar approximant other than when it's effectively encouraged by the rest of the word in passing (e.g. 'three'). I keep meaning to find a bored moment to teach myself to do it, mostly so I can just excessively roll 'r's on rare occasions...

Jonathon Ross has deliberately embraced the difference, and has turned it into a trademark - hence his Tritter handle.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jan 2021, 10:41pm

Mick F wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan
The word is mild.
Pronounced MYLD ............ or maybe MY-ERLD.

What Al is saying ....... and I agree with him ............ they pronounce it MARLD.

Rhymes with Snarled or Gnarled.

Wigginers pronounce mild as maald
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jan 2021, 10:43pm

RickH wrote:It still amuses me after living in this part of the world for nearly 40 years the way some words are pronounced. Not just the flat A & some of the colloquial words & phrases

Boltonians, or at least some of the older ones, would pronounce

"a lorry load of little bottles"

as

"a lurry load of likkle bokkles".

Mrs H, who was born & raised here, can't do a "rolled R" the way the Scots pronounce it.

Er tha tekkin' pith aet uh Lanky spehk? :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Jan 2021, 8:27am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------