What is this map symbol?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

What is this map symbol?

Postby peetee » 14 Jan 2021, 10:01am

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this symbol denotes on late C19th and early C20th maps? It’s the ‘strike-less f’ across the tracks, walls and fences.
87682C2D-B9A3-441B-BD2C-AA11B7F548B3.png
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Paulatic

Re: What is this map symbol?

Postby Paulatic » 14 Jan 2021, 10:20am

I’ve always understood it as being ownership. The link between two commonly owned areas.
Very illuminating in my area there are bits shown as public areas now taken into pvt ownership
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

colin54

Postby colin54 » 14 Jan 2021, 11:04am

Paulatic wrote:I’ve always understood it as being ownership. The link between two commonly owned areas.
Very illuminating in my area there are bits shown as public areas now taken into pvt ownership

That sounds about right, it's explained in different words in the key at the bottom left of this linked map (zoom in) The curved lines are called 'braces'.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/126520052

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 14 Jan 2021, 11:13am

How interesting.

Thankyou

Jonathan

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 14 Jan 2021, 11:51am

Well, fancy that?! Sounds like it's to do with land areas, too - see here.EDIT: It turns out that the brace links two areas of land, that have been calculated together, in what's referred to as a land-parcel, so in the example shown in the first post, the land-parcel designated 1610 consists of two areas, linked by the 'field tie' with a combined area of 2.065 acres. Whether or not that implies that the areas are owned by the same person, I don't know - although I wonder what would be the point of calculating land area if they weren't under common ownership...
byyeee,
SiE

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 14 Jan 2021, 1:20pm

Paulatic wrote:I’ve always understood it as being ownership. The link between two commonly owned areas.

Dunno what the law is in England, but in Alsace the rule is that if you cultivate a bit of land for 10 years without anyone objecting, it's yours. And to retain ownership of land you own you have to mow it at least once a year otherwise the local council can claim it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 14 Jan 2021, 1:26pm

Audax67 wrote:

Dunno what the law is in England, but in Alsace the rule is that if you cultivate a bit of land for 10 years without anyone objecting, it's yours. And to retain ownership of land you own you have to mow it at least once a year otherwise the local council can claim it.

I’m in Scotland and have a piece of land I didn’t pay for. It was included in the sale of the plot but my solicitor noticed it wasn’t in the deeds. I gave less for the plot and registered that bit as mine on the Land Registry Scotland. After ten years it was mine. :D
That was 40 yrs ago and now with internet access to old maps I see the piece in question was linked to land owned by Caledonian Railways and I imagine long since forgotten they owned it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 14 Jan 2021, 1:28pm

That may explain what happens at my chum's very rural property in Brittany. There are are sundry pockets of land near by my friend's place and once a year a mysterious and otherwise unknown individual arrives on a tractor, mows all the pockets and disappears. No other action or cultivation takes place... He always assumed it was the council, but that didn't quite fit with the land mown not simply being the road-side verges.
byyeee,
SiE

peetee

Postby peetee » 14 Jan 2021, 1:52pm

Ah-ha! I get it. I could see it was to do with land division but the ownership makes perfect sense. Thanks Paulatic...and other contributors. :)
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 14 Jan 2021, 3:21pm

Here's another handy link showing the abbreviations used on that era map, I was wondering what CS stood for on the map I linked above.. centre of stream, CR... centre of river etc.
So on this map it says for example Union & Urban District Bdy/CS to centre of stream at Ashbrow just outside of Newburgh, if I understand it correctly.
https://maps.nls.uk/os/abbrev/index.html
& a Key to signs including boundary signs which makes interesting reading.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/128076891
I like the fact there is a symbol for sun dials, useful in it's day no doubt.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 14 Jan 2021, 3:38pm

Audax67 wrote:

The mowing sounds like a Germanic law even though Alsace now under French rule.