Driving licence renewal.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales
Posts: 5370
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Driving licence renewal.

Postby Mike Sales » 14 Jan 2021, 5:17pm

I received today a letter from the DVLA informing me that my driving licence expired the day before my seventieth birthday which was some months ago.
Besides the two questions about eyesight, the enclosed renewal form has twenty one questions on various health problems, from diabetes to severe learning disability.
Is this new?
All very fine, but I have never had a full driving licence, and the provisional one I once had expired some years ago.

Jdsk
Posts: 5228
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby Jdsk » 14 Jan 2021, 5:22pm

How strange. Does the letter include a driving licence number? if so you can check what they think your status is at:
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Jonathan

peetee
Posts: 2778
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby peetee » 14 Jan 2021, 8:25pm

That’s a bit suspect. I thought DVLA were communicating by email unless you request otherwise. Sounds to me like a lot of questions that would make a marketing company very happy. What is the return address?
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Jdsk
Posts: 5228
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby Jdsk » 14 Jan 2021, 8:26pm

Good thought.

Which?: "How to spot DVLA scams":
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-spot-dvla-scams

Jonathan

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50656
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby Mick F » 15 Jan 2021, 9:13am

peetee wrote:That’s a bit suspect. I thought DVLA were communicating by email ............
DVLA don't know our email address.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mike Sales
Posts: 5370
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby Mike Sales » 15 Jan 2021, 9:24am

Mick F wrote:
peetee wrote:That’s a bit suspect. I thought DVLA were communicating by email ............
DVLA don't know our email address.


Nor mine.

The form came with a return envelope correctly addressed to the DVLA in Swansea. It seems unlikely that a scammer could have set up a way to intercept the R.M.

rjb
Posts: 4230
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby rjb » 15 Jan 2021, 1:36pm

TC started a thread on this topic recently. Answers to most questions can be found here. viewtopic.php?t=141775
I'm 70 later this year so will try and remember this thread for later. :(
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9845
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby 661-Pete » 15 Jan 2021, 7:24pm

rjb wrote:TC started a thread on this topic recently. Answers to most questions can be found here. viewtopic.php?t=141775
I'm 70 later this year so will try and remember this thread for later. :(
:wink:
I would suggest that the two threads be merged. (MODS?!)

I too passed the big 'seven-oh' last year, but at least I got the renewal letter some weeks before. When I submitted my application, although I have no chronic conditions to declare, I did have to mention that I'd had an operation for subdural haematoma a few weeks earlier.

So they stalled, telling me I had to get the OK from the consultant neurosurgeon before getting my licence. And then, of course, you-know-what happened and it was impossible to get to see any doctor, let alone a consultant, unless you were either at death's door, or had Covid (or both) :( .

So I waited. I wasn't in any hurry to drive anywhere anytime soon, what with lockdown and all, so the car languished on the driveway (SORN'd - I'm the only driver) while we did our shopping by bike - as we nearly always have done anyway. Finally the DVLA ordered me to undergo a field-of-vision test at Specsavers, which I duly attended, and then I finally got my licence back! :)

Still haven't put the car back on the road though. It'll need a new battery, then be taxed (sorry: "VED'd"), insured and MOT'd all in one go. I'll wait till lockdown has eased a bit, and with luck I'll have had the jab(s) too...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5769
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Postby Oldjohnw » 16 Jan 2021, 8:33am

661-Pete wrote:
rjb wrote:TC started a thread on this topic recently. Answers to most questions can be found here. viewtopic.php?t=141775
I'm 70 later this year so will try and remember this thread for later. :(
:wink:
I would suggest that the two threads be merged. (MODS?!)

I too passed the big 'seven-oh' last year, but at least I got the renewal letter some weeks before. When I submitted my application, although I have no chronic conditions to declare, I did have to mention that I'd had an operation for subdural haematoma a few weeks earlier.

So they stalled, telling me I had to get the OK from the consultant neurosurgeon before getting my licence. And then, of course, you-know-what happened and it was impossible to get to see any doctor, let alone a consultant, unless you were either at death's door, or had Covid (or both) :( .

So I waited. I wasn't in any hurry to drive anywhere anytime soon, what with lockdown and all, so the car languished on the driveway (SORN'd - I'm the only driver) while we did our shopping by bike - as we nearly always have done anyway. Finally the DVLA ordered me to undergo a field-of-vision test at Specsavers, which I duly attended, and then I finally got my licence back! :)

Still haven't put the car back on the road though. It'll need a new battery, then be taxed (sorry: "VED'd"), insured and MOT'd all in one go. I'll wait till lockdown has eased a bit, and with luck I'll have had the jab(s) too...


Don't worry: it's tax. Excise is just a word for tax but levied on goods.
John