When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4196
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby simonineaston » 19 Jan 2021, 3:10pm

pwa wrote:Just what the world needs right now: Another Brexit thread. Enjoy!
I take your point - however the irony is that it's actually only just begun. Everything up 'till now has just been so much yadda yadda yak yak... It's only now that we start to count the actual, real cost!
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

Oldjohnw
Posts: 6031
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Jan 2021, 3:32pm

aminthule wrote:Sorry, I was genuinely trying to find help regarding cycling when I came upon this thread. Shouldn't this sort of exchange be reserved for a forum outside Cycling UK?

:shock:



What was it you were wanting help about? I imagine someone could quickly direct you to the appropriate thread. I would not expect that a thread entitled "when is remaining not remaining" is likely to give cycling guidance.
John

Jdsk
Posts: 6136
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Jdsk » 19 Jan 2021, 3:45pm

simonineaston wrote:... at what stage is it OK for anyone with any sense to begin to carefully analyse...

This should help anyone who isn't already an expert...

... new report just out: "Brexit and Beyond", with some great contributors:
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Brexit-and-Beyond-report-compressed.pdf

Jonathan

Pebble
Posts: 498
Joined: 7 Jun 2020, 11:59pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Pebble » 19 Jan 2021, 3:52pm

aminthule wrote:Sorry, I was genuinely trying to find help regarding cycling when I came upon this thread. Shouldn't this sort of exchange be reserved for a forum outside Cycling UK?

:shock:

feel free to derail the thread with cycling - surely no one will complain if we started to discuss cycling. :D

Psamathe
Posts: 12279
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Psamathe » 19 Jan 2021, 4:07pm

Pebble wrote:
aminthule wrote:Sorry, I was genuinely trying to find help regarding cycling when I came upon this thread. Shouldn't this sort of exchange be reserved for a forum outside Cycling UK?

:shock:

feel free to derail the thread with cycling - surely no one will complain if we started to discuss cycling. :D

It does impact cycling. UK companies no longer able to ship to EU (thus reducing their market e.g. SJS), problems getting gear from EU companies (I'm after specialist cycle bags only available from a company in Netherlands who have suspended shipping to UK due to Brexit caused rule changes).

Ian

Jdsk
Posts: 6136
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Jdsk » 19 Jan 2021, 4:10pm

Psamathe wrote:
Pebble wrote:
aminthule wrote:Sorry, I was genuinely trying to find help regarding cycling when I came upon this thread. Shouldn't this sort of exchange be reserved for a forum outside Cycling UK?

feel free to derail the thread with cycling - surely no one will complain if we started to discuss cycling.

It does impact cycling. UK companies no longer able to ship to EU (thus reducing their market e.g. SJS), problems getting gear from EU companies (I'm after specialist cycle bags only available from a company in Netherlands who have suspended shipping to UK due to Brexit caused rule changes).

+ visas, healthcare while abroad, travel insurance etc.

+ modal shift in transport policy.

Jonathan

PH
Posts: 9979
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby PH » 19 Jan 2021, 4:11pm

Jdsk wrote:
simonineaston wrote:... at what stage is it OK for anyone with any sense to begin to carefully analyse...

This should help anyone who isn't already an expert...

... new report just out: "Brexit and Beyond", with some great contributors:
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Brexit-and-Beyond-report-compressed.pdf

Jonathan

Some interesting reading, I'll enjoy that. So far I'm still on the introduction which says
The collection is intended as a guide to the big questions confronting the country
in the years to come. Intentionally or not, Brexit, and the Brexit process have, and will continue to
have, enormous implications for politics, economics and society in the UK, and their effects will
be compounded by those of the pandemic. Understanding these, on the basis of evidence-based
analysis, will be crucial to ensure that public and political debates and policy responses meet the
challenges and make the most of the opportunities of the post-Brexit era.

A guide to the big questions isn't the same as claiming to know the answers. Doesn't matter how much you think you know about the destination, or the signs you can point to, we're still in the early stages of the journey, any claim otherwise will still be seen by those who disagree as moaning.

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4196
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby simonineaston » 19 Jan 2021, 4:25pm

It does impact cycling.
That was my reason for posting the thread. While I will cheerfully admit to being happy to bang on and on endlessly about the rationale for forcing the issue, as far as the voting for & outcome of, the referendum, back nigh on half a decade ago is concerned, the reason for bringing up the subject of the actual and countable changes is because it does affect us cyclists. And not too well, so far, either!
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

Pebble
Posts: 498
Joined: 7 Jun 2020, 11:59pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Pebble » 19 Jan 2021, 4:29pm

Jdsk wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Pebble wrote:feel free to derail the thread with cycling - surely no one will complain if we started to discuss cycling.

It does impact cycling. UK companies no longer able to ship to EU (thus reducing their market e.g. SJS), problems getting gear from EU companies (I'm after specialist cycle bags only available from a company in Netherlands who have suspended shipping to UK due to Brexit caused rule changes).

+ visas, healthcare while abroad, travel insurance etc.

+ modal shift in transport policy.

Jonathan

cycling doesn't seem to have been mentioned, just fish and empty fruit shelves in the supermarket, and those problems are very Covid related.

We need 5 years to asses if brexit is working - at least 6 months after the pandemic to get any idea, everything is chaotic at the moment with the virus.

Psamathe
Posts: 12279
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Psamathe » 19 Jan 2021, 4:32pm

simonineaston wrote:
It does impact cycling.
That was my reason for posting the thread. While I will cheerfully admit to being happy to bang on and on endlessly about the rationale for forcing the issue, as far as the voting for & outcome of, the referendum, back nigh on half a decade ago is concerned, the reason for bringing up the subject of the actual and countable changes is because it does affect us cyclists. And not too well, so far, either!

For me the major issues that either have already arisen or will 100% arise in the next 12 months are:
    1. Unable to buy cycling gear only available from specialist supplier in EU
    2. Shipping delays on already ordered gear
    3. 90/180 day travel in EU limiting tour durations and thus range

Who knows if more is yet to emerge e.g. price rises for gear (due to e.g. increased shipping costs due to paperwork, VAT admin, etc.), stock availability or delays, etc. - all not unlikely.

Ian

pwa
Posts: 13900
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby pwa » 19 Jan 2021, 4:34pm

simonineaston wrote:
pwa wrote:Just what the world needs right now: Another Brexit thread. Enjoy!
I take your point - however the irony is that it's actually only just begun. Everything up 'till now has just been so much yadda yadda yak yak... It's only now that we start to count the actual, real cost!

Another irony is that I joined in! Wrist duly slapped.

Psamathe
Posts: 12279
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Psamathe » 19 Jan 2021, 4:34pm

Pebble wrote:...
We need 5 years to asses if brexit is working - at least 6 months after the pandemic to get any idea, everything is chaotic at the moment with the virus.

So in 5 years time will I be able to exceed the 90/180 day EU travel limit. Certainly that limit has nothing to do with C-19. And at my age I have to recognise that in 5 years I may easily no longer able to do the EU cycle tours needing longer than the 90 days. So even if things do change within 5 years, it's likely had a massive negative impact on me anyway.

Ian

Jdsk
Posts: 6136
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Jdsk » 19 Jan 2021, 4:36pm

Pebble wrote:cycling doesn't seem to have been mentioned, just fish and empty fruit shelves in the supermarket, and those problems are very Covid related.

In this thread? I've listed multiple effects that have already been observed, almost entirely before the outbreak.

Pebble wrote:We need 5 years to asses if brexit is working - at least 6 months after the pandemic to get any idea, everything is chaotic at the moment with the virus.

Do you think that any of the new border problems... fish caught in Scotland, food to NI supermarkets, trucks in Kent, small businesses trading between the UK and the EU, have anything to do with the change in trade agreements, or that they are all they caused only by the outbreak? (This isn't a question about whether they're temporary or permanent.)

Thanks

Jonathan

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 9049
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Think Cheddar and Cider
Contact:

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby al_yrpal » 19 Jan 2021, 5:50pm

Nothing has changed as far as tourism is concerned. We still have EH1C. Mine is valid until 2025. You always needed to have travel insurance anyway out of the UK. 90 days in 6 months is plenty for 99.9% of us. Easy to get residency if you want to stay longer.

Our supermarkets have no empty shelves and there is plenty of local fish!

I will have to get a GB sticker for my car though! :

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Oldjohnw
Posts: 6031
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: When is remoaning not remoaning?!

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Jan 2021, 5:57pm

I know you have never been one to worry about facts, Al, but most of UK eaten cod and haddock(our favourite fish) is from Norwegian, Icelandic waters and the Barents Sea. The fact that a small amount is found in a fish shop in Cornwall makes you very fortunate but doesn't alter facts.

Meanwhile, another fish fact: most Scottish fishermen are now without work. Possibly things will improve but too late for most
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 19 Jan 2021, 6:02pm, edited 2 times in total.
John