Flageolet beans shortage

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Flageolet beans shortage

Post by Ben@Forest »

Right, in an effort to get away from bitter, entrenched positions and old stories.... where have tinned flageolet beans in the supermarkets gone?

This does not appear to be either a Brxxxt or Covid issue, as the more expensive D'Aucy brand are available online - but since about June they've been like hen's teeth in the local Sainsburys' and Tescos (unlike you southern types we don't have a local Waitrose - if you want to see the North-South divide look here):

http://www.kevinlaurence.net/googlemaps/waitrose.html

My wife, who does more shopping than me says that this has happened before with other bean products - no cannellini beans for a few weeks or whatever, but this has gone on for a long time.... so why?

Anyone who even mentions soaking dried beans overnight - I will immediately ask for the thread to be locked, we're talking tinned beans only..... :D
francovendee

Re: Flageolet beans shortage

Post by francovendee »

Have they bean and gone?
Sorry couldn't resist it. :oops:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

francovendee wrote:Have they bean and gone?
Sorry couldn't resist it. :oops:
Don't mock the poor guy, this is clearly a hu-mung-ous problem for him. It's a broad-reaching situation. I don't want to fall out of fava and get a black-eye for my pains.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ben@Forest wrote:Anyone who even mentions soaking dried beans overnight - I will immediately ask for the thread to be locked, we're talking tinned beans only..... :D
Oh dear ... :|

Let me just make this point (seriously). Dried beans take up a lot less space in our kitchen cupboard... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a can of Flagelot beans. We used to buy them dried a long time ago.
I buy Cannellini now from Morrisons, similar but not exactly the same.
249FF703-714D-4B7D-A8CD-60EC0D712D16.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Dried beans cheaper and more tender than canned-you need to soak overnight.I know some find this onerous but when you consider the hours put in by leanese farmers,it is a small price to pay.onvenience begins with con-for a reason.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Dried beans are definitely the way to go if you can get them. Thirty years ago we had a Wholefood Shop Cooperatively run where we could get all our needs. Sadly long since gone and nothing has come close to stocking the same goods.
I was in our local Tesco recently looking for Pearl barley. None to find apart from a small packet in a value added pack of chopped up ready to make broth.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi :oops: :oops: :oops: , I misread the heading and thought that there was a shortage of "Penny-Whistles"! That would have been a blow :roll: .
But I do like canned Flageolet Beans, nice in multi-bean casseroles. Throw in a few Veggie Sausages and its great. TTFN MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Paulatic wrote:Dried beans are definitely the way to go if you can get them. Thirty years ago we had a Wholefood Shop Cooperatively run where we could get all our needs. Sadly long since gone and nothing has come close to stocking the same goods.
I was in our local Tesco recently looking for Pearl barley. None to find apart from a small packet in a value added pack of chopped up ready to make broth.

Pearl Barley! A vital component of Scotch Broth. And you are in Scotland. Its a plot....

Flagolet beans originated in France :shock:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Not just pearl barley. Our local coop steadfastly refuses to stock oatmeal. This encourages me to shop elsewhere.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Gone with the wind?

I'll get my coat. :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote:Hi :oops: :oops: :oops: , I misread the heading and thought that there was a shortage of "Penny-Whistles"! That would have been a blow :roll: .
I've got a bag of half-a-dozen 'penny whistles'. Made of bamboo: one of them sounds like a duck-call, the others like whistles at various pitches. Excellent for street demos and marches!

Bought them off a street vendor in Indonesia. I'd pass them around -- but no, what with Covid and all, better not!
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

I believe all the Flageolet beans have been bought up to make vegetarian (vegan) sausages. Seriously. You can't move in the supermarket except for bumping into veggie sausages. Every teenager has given up eating meat in order to save the planet, or something, and is demanding that their parents feed them veggie sausages.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

6.5_lives_left wrote:I believe all the Flageolet beans have been bought up to make vegetarian (vegan) sausages. Seriously. You can't move in the supermarket except for bumping into veggie sausages. Every teenager has given up eating meat in order to save the planet, or something, and is demanding that their parents feed them veggie sausages.

Thanks for that - it makes sense. I know that the huge interest in quinoa meant firstly that poorer people in S America couldn't afford it because it went for export at a higher price, and secondly that they ploughed up more lowland grazing land that supported a huge range of wildflowers, invertebrates, small mammals etc because of the demand for quinoa. So there's always consequences somewhere....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Which veggie sausages or recipes use flageolet beans? I've never seen that before.

Veggie sausages in my experience are generally made with soya, textured vegetable protein, Quorn, or some variant on those, with some vegetable fat and the same sort of herbs and spices as meat sausages. I don't generally care for them, though some are better than others.

Bean sausages, I might like.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom