Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Post by al_yrpal »

KTHSullivan wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I fancy Cyprus in November but think I'll park that in favour of next Spring. The thought of being cooped up in a metal cylinder for 4 hours a couple of times with who knows who fills me with horror. Beginning to appreciate just how much this damned virus has taken out of my decreasing life span.

Al

My next door neighbour resides in Cyprus (mostly) she came over for a christening just before lock down and has been effectively stranded since due to complications accessing CV19 testing being a Cypriot resident. She runs a UK business and subsequently pays significant tax to the UK exchequer so got the buttock when she was told she had to pay for tests. Nevertheless, she was in for coffee (in the garden I must add) yesterday morning and was recounting the situation in Cyprus before she flew in. Apparently to leave one's house for anything other than essential shopping a permit was required. To be caught without one was a significant fine, she further recounted that some persistent miscreants had in fact been gaoled. I think the way things are going, postponing any trip overseas is the way to go. It would be an awful shame to sit on a paraffin pigeon for four hours to stare at the walls of a hotel room for a couple of weeks.

I guess that was in Greek Cyprus?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Jdsk wrote:If everyone knows that's going to happen then it will already be factored into the current price.

Jonathan

It's not without it's risks -- the government had to bail these boys out before.

My primary shareholding was down to sub £3 at about this time last year :(

I kept my brave trousers on.

It's a bit higher today - by a factor of 5, and at an all-time high.

Am relief :D

(and a bit cross I didn't have the full courage of my convictions and buy more, but hey-ho)

Primary share holding in what?
I am here. Where are you?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I guess that was in Greek Cyprus?

Yes, she is based just outside Limassol; when she can get there. :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cowsham wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
It's not without it's risks -- the government had to bail these boys out before.

My primary shareholding was down to sub £3 at about this time last year :(

I kept my brave trousers on.

It's a bit higher today - by a factor of 5, and at an all-time high.

Am relief :D

(and a bit cross I didn't have the full courage of my convictions and buy more, but hey-ho)

Primary share holding in what?

A company
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote:People going for a walk together -- many of whom would have been too busy doing stuff to enjoy the simple pleasures.

Maybe it's cos I'm jealous. I see on my cycle back from work, families out walking about being paid to do it too. I've never had the luxury and missed all my holidays as well. Some from this year cancelled too while my work is busiest it's been.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Our wee town has reverted back to 5 day opening but most of the essential shops like chemists are still open 6. This means there's easy access to those particular shops on closed day.

I never agreed with 6 day opening it nothing but put up costs for shops and make it hard for shop keepers to get a day off. It brought the quality of life down for retailers.

Turnover was never increased, people get used to closing day and buy the same amount of stuff in 5 days they would in 6.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Smaller shops I've had to take cash to pay now nearly all have the tap and pay card systems in place.