Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Post by thirdcrank »

... Yet I fear that our politicians will push people back to live as before ...

Perhaps somebody may have the bright idea of some sort of financial incentive ... Heaven forfend!
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Psamathe wrote:(Potential benefit) I'm hoping people will realise that they really didn't need to keep making all those shipping trips so frequently, that they can live without perpetual visits to Primark (et. al.) to buy stuff they don't need. Hoping people will realise that a lower footprint lifestyle really does work. Yet I fear that our politicians will push people back to live as before as soon as possible and that a more sustainable lifestyle will quickly be forgotten.

Ian

I think there's a rather big assumption that we have been more sustainable there? Much demand has just shifted to more online purchases which aren't necessarily any better. Worse on some measures due to the delivery miles.

And I don't think people needed much encouragement either. During the late summer/early autumn when measures were at their most relaxed, motor traffic flow largely made it back to 100% of the previous years numbers, that was despite a reasonably high amount of working from home in sectors that could do that. While commutes were certainly down which was reflected in generally quieter morning peaks, that had been offset by more trips of other purposes in afternoon & early evening, including shopping. Also I think it can be expected that cars left at home because the main user is working there will be used by other household members (partners & late teenagers)

peetee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:A year ago I enjoyed quiet roads. Doesn't appear to have happened much this time around.
A sad reflection on human nature, I suspect. Just as a lot of motorists think it’s OK to bend the rules with regard to speed limits when the law is not there to enforce them, they are doing the same with the rules on restricted driving.

I think that's a little unfair, the reality is simply that this lockdown is nowhere near as restrictive as the first. The first one put everyone on furlough except those who could work from home (which isn't actually that high a %) and those in critical jobs. Subsequent ones have only ever been work from home if you can, that is a significantly large number people who will now have to go to work and get back and other associated travel.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
peetee

Post by peetee »

Stevek76 wrote:[
peetee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:A year ago I enjoyed quiet roads. Doesn't appear to have happened much this time around.
A sad reflection on human nature, I suspect. Just as a lot of motorists think it’s OK to bend the rules with regard to speed limits when the law is not there to enforce them, they are doing the same with the rules on restricted driving.

I think that's a little unfair, the reality is simply that this lockdown is nowhere near as restrictive as the first. The first one put everyone on furlough except those who could work from home (which isn't actually that high a %) and those in critical jobs. Subsequent ones have only ever been work from home if you can, that is a significantly large number people who will now have to go to work and get back and other associated travel.

I wasn’t aware there was a difference. Are you saying that there are more businesses allowed to operate this time round? I did look at the official list and it’s not extensive;
From the Gov. website
food retailers, including food markets, supermarkets, convenience stores and corner shops. This also includes fresh food retailers (such as butchers, bakers, greengrocers, fishmongers, and delicatessens)
off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol
pharmacies (including non-dispensing pharmacies) and chemists
mobility and disability support shops
newsagents
builders merchants and suppliers of products and tools used in building work and repairs. This doesn’t include carpet stores and showrooms, such as those for bathrooms, kitchens, tiles and glazing
garden centres and agricultural supplies shops. This does not include florists or nurseries
veterinary surgeons, animal rescue centres, boarding facilities, and retailers of products and food for the upkeep and welfare of animals. Animal grooming facilities may also stay open but must only be used for the purposes of an animal’s welfare (and not for aesthetic purposes)
dental services, opticians, audiology services, chiropody, chiropractors, osteopaths and other medical or health services, including services relating to mental health
banks, building societies, credit unions, short term loan providers, savings clubs, cash points and undertakings which by way of business operate currency exchange offices, transmit money (or any representation of money) by any means or cash cheques which are made payable to customers
post offices
funeral directors
laundrettes and dry cleaners
bicycle shops, vehicle repair and MOT services
petrol stations and automatic car washes
taxi or vehicle hire businesses and motorway service areas

As for my suggestion that people are pushing the boundaries, well, around here they certainly are. I often see a number of vehicles parked in locations popular with walkers. The current rules say you should exercise from home not travel to a remote start point by car.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Are we approaching what's legislation and what's guidance?

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

peetee wrote:The current rules say you should exercise from home not travel to a remote start point by car.

You could argue that people in remote places need to do the reverse. There has been considerable snow here today; the road I live on gets no snow plough or gritter. The road is, technically, a 60mph road, it's single track, with no pavement. Every household has at least one car - usually two, sometimes three, a couple with more. Today (and a good number of days recently) someone more infirm on their feet could reasonably argue they need to drive into a large village or town in order to be able to take an hour's exercise.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

peetee wrote:I wasn’t aware there was a difference. Are you saying that there are more businesses allowed to operate this time round? I did look at the official list and it’s not extensive;

That list is businesses providing public services that are allowed to open. There is a wide range of industry, construction and other workplaces running now that weren't running during the initial lockdown last year.

Re exercise, applies to wales only.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Stevek76 wrote:
peetee wrote:I wasn’t aware there was a difference. Are you saying that there are more businesses allowed to operate this time round? I did look at the official list and it’s not extensive;

That list is businesses providing public services that are allowed to open. There is a wide range of industry, construction and other workplaces running now that weren't running during the initial lockdown last year.

Re exercise, applies to wales only.

We've never stopped at any time and when you walk in for some it's like nothing ever happened. No masks. To be fair we've had quite a low number of cases of cv19 -- about 20 to 30 out of about 300 and most cases were very mild symptoms. It's only a matter of time till someone gets a bad touch of the virus though. Hopefully I'll be vaccinated by spring.
I am here. Where are you?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

While I sometimes get fed up with this work from home thing, the best part of the pandemic has absolutely been the 5 sec commute.

Some of the time gained gets used for riding my bike where I want to, instead of to work. Some of it gets used for walks int he forest, and some of it get used to spend time with my family.

I am not looking forward to commuting again, especially since I have a new job with a longer commute, public transport + walking or cycling.

I may see if I can work from home one day per week or something. I think it has become harder for them to say 'no'. :P
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cowsham wrote:I think the lessons learnt in hygiene will serve everyone well.

I fear you overestimate people
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Cowsham wrote:I think the lessons learnt in hygiene will serve everyone well.

I fear you overestimate people

That?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As a retired person and our home is a paid-up abode, all we have as outgoings are food and rates/electricity/etc.

Cash is only really used as "beer tokens" so as the pubs have closed, the cash isn't being used and our bank balance is healthier.
Personally speaking, I'd rather be broke whilst keeping the pubs open.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote:As a retired person and our home is a paid-up abode, all we have as outgoings are food and rates/electricity/etc.

Cash is only really used as "beer tokens" so as the pubs have closed, the cash isn't being used and our bank balance is healthier.
Personally speaking, I'd rather be broke whilst keeping the pubs open.

Heard on the news today that because some people are saving more they wouldn't mind paying a bit more tax :shock: --- I've been working ( at my work place as I can't work from home ) and it's been awful because of our soles who won't sd -- only God knows how I've evaded the pox . ( or have I ? ) no I won't pay more tax.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The problem with paying tax, you have no say in what it's being used for.
Ballot box?
First Past the Post is an awful way of electing your representative in Parliament IMO, so don't even suggest that!

I'd rather use my spare money in supporting local businesses and our local social life.
Pubs are a good thing and (non-essential) shops and services also.

The only people making money out of this situation are supermarkets.

Sad.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Supermarkets plus Amazon. And government mates' businesses.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Agree.
Mick F. Cornwall