Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Post by Cowsham »

There are lots of things we can complain about lockdown but what even small benefits have you encountered?

In NI there was a brief period at the start of lockdown where the weather was nice and the roads were quiet so cycling was great but with the second /3rd lockdown there doesn't seem to be much drop in traffic here.

One benefit for me ( cos I've so many old cars and motorbikes ) is no MOT's ( except for cars under 4 years old ) which has saved me a small fortune. I think the first one is September this year if it doesn't get pushed further into the future. The downside is of course more rickety cars on the road making it more dangerous to be cycling.

Another is not having to get dressed up for church -- it's drive in. When the weather was nice we cycled there which was nice then continued out around the coast and back home.
I am here. Where are you?
Oldjohnw

Re: Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Post by Oldjohnw »

A benefit last spring was seeing wildlife reclaiming their habitat. Sadly it appears to be a temporary reprieve despite all the nice things said.

I miss 'real' church. I don't really do zoom apart from a few meetings where necessary. I never dressed up anyway.

A year ago I enjoyed quiet roads. Doesn't appear to have happened much this time around.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

Oldjohnw wrote:
A year ago I enjoyed quiet roads. Doesn't appear to have happened much this time around.

A sad reflection on human nature, I suspect. Just as a lot of motorists think it’s OK to bend the rules with regard to speed limits when the law is not there to enforce them, they are doing the same with the rules on restricted driving. I was spot checked on a car journey back in April. I have not been stopped, heard about or seen a spot check in my driving, cycling or walking travels since. What I do see though is lots of vehicles in the car parks of local attractions and beauty spots.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

peetee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

A sad reflection on human nature, I suspect. Just as a lot of motorists think it’s OK to bend the rules with regard to speed limits when the law is not there to enforce them, they are doing the same with the rules on restricted driving. I was spot checked on a car journey back in April. I have not been stopped, heard about or seen a spot check in my driving, cycling or walking travels since.

I must say I don't think I have used the car since about November apart from starting it and driving a mile and back once a week. As I live reasonably remote with virtually no public transport I need to keep my motorised wheels available in case of emergency. Tomorrow I have a 130 mile round trip for a hospital appointment so I will see how busy it is beyond my local country roads.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Not having to travel to meetings was expected, but still excellent. The ability to arrange meetings quicker and earlier was unexpected.

Jonathan
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cowsham wrote:Another is not having to get dressed up for church -- it's drive in.

Is that still a thing?
Not just wearing 'Sunday best' but actually going to Church!?
There are three Churches about 1/2 mile from here.Two are bang next to each other(proper Church buildings with a steeple) and the other(single story) is across the road.One is a family home,the other is a Building company HO and the one across is Offices!All three are very old stone buildings and at least they're used and not derelict.They've not been used for worship for as long as I can remember.

I don't know if it's a benefit but I see loads more folk walking when I'm out with my dog.I think they're only out because it's the only time they should be?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Another is not having to get dressed up for church -- it's drive in.

Is that still a thing?

It's Northern Ireland, here if you said your a Hindu they'd want to know if your a Protestant Hindu or a Catholic Hindu.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've learnt to relax at home and not want to be out all the time. Seriously, we now go out locally and only for specific reasons. It's made me aware that we actually made up jobs to do to get us out.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

peetee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

. I was spot checked on a car journey back in April. I have not been stopped, heard about or seen a spot check in my driving, cycling or walking travels since.

My brother was visited by police at his house a few minuits after coming home a bit late from a job the other night -- some curtain twitcher window licker had reported him. I would normally excuse that but with ladders etc and his details written all over the van ??? --

peetee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

What I do see though is lots of vehicles in the car parks of local attractions and beauty spots.

Don't look in the windows -- you won't see dogs but might get arrested. :lol:
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Cowsham wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:

Is that still a thing?

It's Northern Ireland, here if you said your a Hindu they'd want to know if your a Protestant Hindu or a Catholic Hindu.

That actually made me laugh out loud :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Major benefit for me, is that I've not had so much of a sniffle this winter.
Every single winter for the past 20+years, I've been ill. Steroids, antibiotics, ear blockages, headaches ...............

This winter?
Absolutely well! :D

Hands, face space has worked wonderfully.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote:Major benefit for me, is that I've not had so much of a sniffle this winter.
Every single winter for the past 20+years, I've been ill. Steroids, antibiotics, ear blockages, headaches ...............

This winter?
Absolutely well! :D

Hands, face space has worked wonderfully.

I'm don't take colds often now but still got an odd cold now and again - used to take flu's and colds a lot when I was young.

--- this year none ---

I think the lessons learnt in hygiene will serve everyone well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Potential benefit) I'm hoping people will realise that they really didn't need to keep making all those shipping trips so frequently, that they can live without perpetual visits to Primark (et. al.) to buy stuff they don't need. Hoping people will realise that a lower footprint lifestyle really does work. Yet I fear that our politicians will push people back to live as before as soon as possible and that a more sustainable lifestyle will quickly be forgotten.

Ian
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Psamathe wrote:(Potential benefit) I'm hoping people will realise that they really didn't need to keep making all those shipping trips so frequently, that they can live without perpetual visits to Primark (et. al.) to buy stuff they don't need. Hoping people will realise that a lower footprint lifestyle really does work. Yet I fear that our politicians will push people back to live as before as soon as possible and that a more sustainable lifestyle will quickly be forgotten.

Ian

Online shopping though?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Got a phone call today to ask if we needed our prescriptions delivered or help with getting to the practice cos we're shielding a vulnerable child -- I told the lady who rang " no I do all the shopping, still at my workplace full time so have to manage the risk myself anyway so there'd be no point in me getting delivery taking the facility away from someone who really needs it".