Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Unexpected benefits of Lockdown

Post by Cowsham »

Has anyone had their council add cycling facilities of any kind in the last year ? That would be a benefit -- maybe not so unexpected -- don't think there's been anything round our way -- there is a petition to convert an old narrow gauge railway line to a cycle way -- if they'd listen it would be marvellous.
I am here. Where are you?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Calmness and acceptance of staying at home instead of going out all the time. It used to be a wasted time at the weekend if we stayed at home. Often manufactured excuses to go somewhere and get something we needed.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cowsham wrote:There are lots of things we can complain about lockdown but what even small benefits have you encountered? .

Hmm, somehow I've identified a stunning 4 mile "link" road back home, which I've never previously cycled! Tens of thousands of miles in the past twelve years, an area I cycled thousands of miles in as a teenager. But have never considered the road in question (Nb. May have once walked a section of it)

It's an A Road, normally nose to tail with slab sided HGV's (Nb. It's a major, North/South, single cariageway A Road). But twelve days ago it was empty and took it......it add's an extra 1.5 miles to get home, but effectively involves cycling over the moor, partially along the route of a Roman road, later turned into a 17th century turnpike. The gradient I'd never liked the look of, turns out to be an incredibly shallow, easy climb. Stunning views to the coast and when over the crest, superb views North to the hills! As a 60's purpose built A Road, sufficient space even for HGV's to provide a 7' overtaking margin.

I'd always been deterred by the knowledge that on finishing the 4 mile section, a further several miles over the moor exists, butin retrospect, the majority of the sharp climbs on this section are climbed earlier on the route. So somehow, found a road I've never cycled on locally, which is superb.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

gbnz wrote:
Cowsham wrote:There are lots of things we can complain about lockdown but what even small benefits have you encountered? .

Hmm, somehow I've identified a stunning 4 mile "link" road back home, which I've never previously cycled! Tens of thousands of miles in the past twelve years, an area I cycled thousands of miles in as a teenager. But have never considered the road in question (Nb. May have once walked a section of it)

It's an A Road, normally nose to tail with slab sided HGV's (Nb. It's a major, North/South, single cariageway A Road). But twelve days ago it was empty and took it......it add's an extra 1.5 miles to get home, but effectively involves cycling over the moor, partially along the route of a Roman road, later turned into a 17th century turnpike. The gradient I'd never liked the look of, turns out to be an incredibly shallow, easy climb. Stunning views to the coast and when over the crest, superb views North to the hills! As a 60's purpose built A Road, sufficient space even for HGV's to provide a 7' overtaking margin.

I'd always been deterred by the knowledge that on finishing the 4 mile section, a further several miles over the moor exists, butin retrospect, the majority of the sharp climbs on this section are climbed earlier on the route. So somehow, found a road I've never cycled on locally, which is superb.

Similarly I found a couple of very scenic routes ( not on my commute ) near home I'd never cycled or even driven before in the 15 years I've lived in this area. This was when the first lockdown happened and I ventured into the unknown more readily since there was virtually no traffic. It's quite different this time -- the only difference from normal is there being no school traffic but the roads are as busy as ever at other times.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Another benefit is clothes - or lack of them.
Vast majority of my time I'm in nothing more than a dressing gown.

I put on scruffy walking clothes and take the dog for a (usually muddy) walk. After getting home, I strip off and put my dressing gown back on.
I put on cycling clothes and go for a bike ride. After getting home, I strip off and put my dressing gown back on.
I put on my overalls and do some outdoor work - logging/gardening/etc. After finishing, I strip off and put my dressing gown back on.
Guess what I'm wearing now. :wink:

I don't go anywhere, no-one visits, and I have nowhere to go that requires "nice" clothes.
Mick F. Cornwall
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I dabble with astronomy; there is a noticeable reduction in aircraft vapour trails, as a consequence the "seeing" appears somewhat cleaner. Looking at "flight radar 24" most of the traffic over the UK is either military or cargo. One small benefit I suppose.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Another benefit is clothes - or lack of them.
Vast majority of my time I'm in nothing more than a dressing gown.

I put on scruffy walking clothes and take the dog for a (usually muddy) walk. After getting home, I strip off and put my dressing gown back on.
I put on cycling clothes and go for a bike ride. After getting home, I strip off and put my dressing gown back on.
I put on my overalls and do some outdoor work - logging/gardening/etc. After finishing, I strip off and put my dressing gown back on.
Guess what I'm wearing now. :wink:

I don't go anywhere, no-one visits, and I have nowhere to go that requires "nice" clothes.

Sounds like Mick “Hefner the Playboy” F.
John
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

Before lockdown thought supermarket deliveries were for housebound folk or very busy couples
Found them to be efficient reliable and punctual and will probably continue when virus problems are over.
My wife and I walk with our local ramblers group and travel up to ten miles to the various walk starts We now
walk down the road for five minutes then into the fields and woods opposite we can vary the walks enough
to not feel we are not doing the same walks all the time. Enjoy walking with people but doing it from your
door is not a bad substitute.
I have an allotment and now spend a lot more time their and not always working often just sitting and watching
the birds and bees and the cabbages growing.
After retirement from work I always tried to plan a job or activity for the following day so as not to waste it. Now
I get up and see what happens.
Wife looks better with longer hair.
Car does a month to the gallon.

John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Had a big beef Burger with tomato sauce dripping from it ( a rare indulgence I'm mostly a veggy )

Knew I had red sauce on my face -- had to go shopping so checked the mirror and I was right.

Then it occurred to me " I'll be wearing a mask "

Neigh bother.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Put my partners cottage on the market last Tuesday. Had 8 viewings in 4 days, sold it at a great price, put in a bid for a run down nicer place in a great location, offer accepted. Now to beat the stamp duty deadline! The property market is humming with folk heading out if cities to places like here... :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

al_yrpal wrote:Put my partners cottage on the market last Tuesday. Had 8 viewings in 4 days, sold it at a great price, put in a bid for a run down nicer place in a great location, offer accepted. Now to beat the stamp duty deadline! The property market is humming with folk heading out if cities to places like here... :D

Al

The wife sometimes mentions stuff she misses about living in town -- this year she's glad she lives out here in the sticks.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Heating oil prices were the lowest I've seen since I first started buying it 30 years ago when we got married.

Just noticed my shell shares take leaps up over the last few days due to three things -- us stimulus - transition from fossil fuels to renewable not as easy as "experts" think - and expected rising demand due to cv vaccine success.

So bought loads of oil and oil shares during lockdown.

Down side now is the price of heating oil is flying up now too.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

By the way Rolls Royce shares are due a big bounce back -- not to previous highs since there's been some dilution but who couldn't see them double on the back of travel restrictions lifting.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

People going for a walk together -- many of whom would have been too busy doing stuff to enjoy the simple pleasures.