Recycling used double edged safety razor blades?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Eton Rifle

Re: Recycling used double edged safety razor blades?

Post by Eton Rifle »

merseymouth wrote:Hi, Not a real answer I know, but my current use "Feather" brand blades come in a plastic container, dispense fresh wrapped blades at the top, then slide the used blades into the bottom.
Not re-cycling, but it aids safe disposal.
Now an "Open" or "Cut-throat Razor" is greener, though sometimes more gory! My brother used them horror at sea, rolling deck and all? MM

Feather also make a blade bank (basically a tin box with a slot in the lid). Takes hundreds of blades and the filled bank can be recycled.

Feather is a good blade and I use them for travelling but Astra is the blade of choice at home and they just come in cardboard packets, so do need a better means of disposal, like a blade bank.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Protest to your county councillor if the recycling site are being morons. If that fails, try your MP. www.writeToThem.com
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote:Protest to your county councillor if the recycling site are being morons. If that fails, try your MP. http://www.writeToThem.com

Writing to he MP for most of Northumberland about an environment matter will be about as much use as buying a chocolate teapot. The fact that she is an environment minister doesn't make any difference.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mick F wrote:Just been looking online at the rules at the two places we use.
Tavistock and Saltash both run by Suez.

Nothing I can see about cyclists or even pedestrians being prohibited.
Looking at Google Streetview at the entrances shows no warning signs either.
Next time I'm at one of them, I'll check.

I walked to my local Suez recycling centre a few weeks ago. No problem getting in... but then the office is at the back and I have never seen anyone leave it to supervise or do anything constructive (or would that be ‘destructive’? :? )
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Like OLDJohnW. I have a tin, I made mine from an old coffee tin it sits on the window sill and I doubt it will fill anytime soon. when it does my intention is to seal the top with a piece of Gorrilla tape Write sharps on it and put it in the metal recycling.

Is it possible to go in your recycle bin if properly sealed in a suitable tin ?
NUKe

Post by rmurphy195 »

I don't use a razor, but I do use a Stanley knife - similar sort of problem. I put the old blades in a jamjar, which will go to the recycling centre one day when its full.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Shaving with a Stanley knife blade?
You must have skin like a crocodile!