Census 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philg

Re: Census 2021

Post by philg »

Debs wrote:Do you believe the UK should of remained a member of the EU?

/pedant mode/
Another possible question
Do you believe that 'should of' is a correct form of 'should have' or just a misheard spelling of 'should've' ? :)
/end pedant mode/
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

philg wrote:

/pedant mode/
Do you believe that 'should of' is a correct form of 'should have' or just a misheard spelling of 'should've' ? :)
/end pedant mode/

Surely you kinow that usage is all?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Syd

Post by Syd »

philg wrote:

/pedant mode/
/end pedant mode/

<pedant mode>Make correct use of start and end markers. </pedant mode>

[emoji16]
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The guidance for the question about sex has just been reviewed in court, and changed:
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/03/09/census-2021-sex-question-gender-identity-ons-anti-trans-fair-play-women/

Jonathan
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Just completed ours.
Quite easy to lie.I filled it in for my wife,who was sat in the other room,I could have put anything for sex/religion/ethnicity etc :roll: How would she know :roll:
How does my 13 year old son know I haven't put him down as a gay/transgender/muslim/buddhist :lol:
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I've just recieved mine through the post. Given that the advert by saatchi & saatchi commented that I needed to complete this to help the government make decisions about services including transport.... I'm not very impressed that there was ONLY ONE transport question which was 'how do I travel to work?'
I'm a little disappointed. Not even 'how do I go shopping?' Or even 'do you cycle for fittness?' Nope, just the one question. How do I travel to work. What a waste.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

As I’m retired, I didn’t even get asked the question about travelling to work. Nothing on travel at all, apart from asking how many cars and vans we have. Nothing about usage.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You will find that there are separate annual sample surveys in considerable detail on travel. Far too detailed for a census which is meant to give a snap picture at a particular moment in time. If they asked the questions you would like there would be as many people complaining at the length of the survey rather than a relatively few cyclists being put out. And the non-participation would increase. A balance has to be struck between the amount of data, the ease of collection and of mass participation.

These other surveys tend to be commissioned by individual government departments and are often outsourced to universities to design and contractors such as The National Centre for Social Research to do the field work.
John
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Transport makes extensive use of the various population tables so as the household composition, car/van availability by various cross tabulations, deprivation levels.

In 2011 there were also workplace stats, i.e. workplace 'daytime' population, commute patterns and modeshare both from a home and work perspective as well as the overall trip length by mode. However the workplace data will need to be handled quite carefully this time around for rather obvious reasons. Though it also may be quite illuminating in some respects.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

cycle tramp wrote:I've just recieved mine through the post. Given that the advert by saatchi & saatchi commented that I needed to complete this to help the government make decisions about services including transport.... I'm not very impressed that there was ONLY ONE transport question which was 'how do I travel to work?'
I'm a little disappointed. Not even 'how do I go shopping?' Or even 'do you cycle for fittness?' Nope, just the one question. How do I travel to work. What a waste.

So at the moment what proportion of people need to write "I walk to the dining room/office"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rjb

Post by rjb »

There was an advert on the Tele a few minutes ago advertising the census showing a cyclist in Sheffield saying he was completing the census tomorrow so he could get more cycle lanes built? I have completed mine but didn't see any references to cycle lanes let alone cycling as a means of transport. Did I miss something here? Did anyone else see it? Were my eyes deceiving me? I was only half watching the Tele whilst playing on my tablet. :oops:

Was it because I am retired that the online version didn't ask any questions about how I got to work? If this is correct then it implies retired old codgers don't cycle at all. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:Was it because I am retired that the online version didn't ask any questions about how I got to work? If this is correct then it implies retired old codgers don't cycle at all. :(
Good point.

What about being retired but still working but earning nothing?
Voluntary work?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:What about being retired but still working but earning nothing?
Voluntary work?

is that specifically about travel to "work". Or how to answer the questions around "Main job"? Or around "How many cars or vans"?

Jonathan
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Locally it is boycotted as the last census used for bedroom tax, council houses and £14-16 hour for door knockers that will be gone in a few months.
Feeble threats to "householders" go nowhere looking at conviction rate and neighbours shut door in doorknockers faces in 2011.

Many people in my street on low wages have been adversely effected and not keen to engage with government.
Last edited by ClappedOut on 18 Apr 2021, 1:05am, edited 1 time in total.