Census 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: What do you identify as...

Post by Cowsham »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Chatting in a bar in Port St. Mary we told the barman we came from Gwynedd.
A couple of cottages had just been burned by the hogiau and he commented that the Welsh had the right idea.

Is that a Welsh Wookiee ?

Hogiau? Means the lads.

Furry lads ?
I am here. Where are you?
cycle tramp

Re: Census 2021

Post by cycle tramp »

simonineaston wrote:I did collection twice, in 1981 and 1991, the year that Star Wars influenced the religion Q. I found it a bit depressing, dealing with the folk who don't want to subscribe to the idea. Post 'net, things will have got harder for enumerators, not easier, I imagine - Good Luck Phil et al... :-)

Yeah I can understand how it would appear depressing.... but throughout my life I have been a 'non-joiner' of most things and have existed as 'an outsider'. I understand on a rational level the need for decision makers to understand the change in social dynamics, however as a anarchist (which is not to be confused with a libertarian) I reject the idea that other people have the right to exert their authority over me when I am already acting in a way that which is promoting social cohesion and attempting to limit my ecological offense. I also reject the idea that if I don't act participate in an activity for which the environmental value of which has failed to be established, i will be punished for it. On a emotional basis I also intensely dislike the way that that i have no say in how any of my responses may be used, nor do i have the power to stop organisations that I don't wish to aid from viewing my responses (even though I know that my personal details will be removed) - supposing I answer the questions in such a way that the government will use as a tool to support more road building, development of more nuclear power stations or to look at banning bicycles from certain roads. Without knowing how my answers are viewed, I still remain cautious over the whole exercise.
I really do like the way of describing myself as 'a citizen of planet earth' and therefore remove all the ideas of country boarders, self interest and any notion of mps playing on any sense of national pride - perhaps if more people described themselves as citizens of the world we may extinguish the costly government support for international war.. ..here's hoping :D
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

simonineaston wrote:I did collection twice, in 1981 and 1991, the year that Star Wars influenced the religion Q. I found it a bit depressing, dealing with the folk who don't want to subscribe to the idea. Post 'net, things will have got harder for enumerators, not easier, I imagine - Good Luck Phil et al... :-)

I have done the census 1981, 1991, 2011. In 1981 I did 1 and 1/2 rounds the 1/2 round I took on because the previous enumerator gave up and my boss recommended me to the next area boss.

The round included Railton Road Brixton. I was on the streets the day after the riots. I did that round in 3 days working from 3 pm to 9 pm. I got all but three people. My second boss was astonished, I got a mention in the official census report. So any after that anything else is easy.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I got all but three people.
I'm impressed - Well Done You! :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Re: What do you identify as...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:There is apparently a movement to suggest that people might want to identify as European in the upcoming census (as opposed to British or any of the four constituent nations (or some of the counties even MickF :P )).

Obviously it depends on your political views, but also on the form of the question.

At the moment I certainly don't identify as British or English, both are currently associated in my mind with a regressive, little minded attitude that I want nothing to do with.

I identify as Earthling.

It also depends on the situation in which the question is asked, and why.
Watching Wales v. England I find it a difficult to answer! I dislike being made to choose between many options.

It's one time when I would absolutely not identify as a referee... shockingly poor match for the refereeing team. Fortunately such matches are few and far between.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've just received my census (sic) 2021 form.

I speak as an inveterate complier.

I suspect that Professor Sir Ian Diamond - National Statistician, who seems unfamiliar with the traditional use of the word "please," may be about to get some insight into the the widespread lack of trust enjoyed (?) enjoyed by public officials in this country, ditto government information technology. It will be interesting to see what wheezes people adopt to bugger this up. I could well imagine that either, there will be an army of people following this up, or the data will be incomplete
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all, Yes Thirdcrank, I to suspect the safety & security of this Census!
The basic Idea of making responses be completed on-line is not a sensible one, nor do I believe it will be as useful for research as previous Census's have been. Corruption of data for future retrieval may be an issue, which was always an issue with the pre-1911 Census, enumerators errors, typos, all cause issues.
As one reads the 1911 Census one does get a more relevant set of data, that being the first Census when the householder actually completed the form. I found one piece of information of family interest in that form, my maternal grand-father having filled in the form? It told me that in the period between his marriage,1903, and 1911 he had become literate! "X" was his mark on the marriage lines.
But as I don't feel confident about the technical obsession I I feel certain stuff will go wrong! "The Pen is mightier than MS Word"! MM
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I suspect the vast majority will complete it to the best of their ability as usually happens. Deliberately mess up the census types aren't as widespread as their presence/noise on peoples' social media bubbles might suggest.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

merseymouth wrote:Hello all, Yes Thirdcrank, I to suspect the safety & security of this Census!
The basic Idea of making responses be completed on-line is not a sensible one, nor do I believe it will be as useful for research as previous Census's have been. Corruption of data for future retrieval may be an issue, which was always an issue with the pre-1911 Census, enumerators errors, typos, all cause issues.
As one reads the 1911 Census one does get a more relevant set of data, that being the first Census when the householder actually completed the form. I found one piece of information of family interest in that form, my maternal grand-father having filled in the form? It told me that in the period between his marriage,1903, and 1911 he had become literate! "X" was his mark on the marriage lines.
But as I don't feel confident about the technical obsession I I feel certain stuff will go wrong! "The Pen is mightier than MS Word"! MM

I complete my 2011 census on line
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've just completed mine properly.

There's a feedback section at the end where people can put their comments into the electronic waste bin.

I would be interested to know how much money was squandered on things like deciding that starting "census" with a lower case c was a good idea. I do hope the 2021 National Census is successful, but I've a sneaky feeling that continuing with something so cumbersome is a bit like collecting cigarette cards or indeed counting railings. They don't want to spoil a set.

(edit to insert "counting")
Last edited by thirdcrank on 5 Mar 2021, 10:13am, edited 1 time in total.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Spot on Thirdcrank, money spent badly!
Having completed my submission I have the feeling that it is a sheer waste of money, they know more about me from my medical records.
The only questions that offer insight are about housing, and even then it is all the same set of answers as in the 2011 Census, nowt new!
The available sight of the 1911 Census gave far more information and insight that this modern rubbish. I was tempted to risk the £1k fine and not bother?
I did fill it in on-line rather than waste time and money applying for a paper version, that is the green, frugal part of me doing it's bit. MM

* edited 6th Mar
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:On one of the 'Rejoin the EU' pages on Social media they are asking all those who wish to make a point to enter 'European' in the 'other' box under nationality.

I once read a brilliant essay on how many relevant axes should be included in the USA's census: something like nationality, ethnicity, heritage AND affiliation.

Does anyone know how this is going to be done in the UK in 2021?

Just done my return. It's not bad from this point of view but it could have been better around ethnicity and heritage and affiliation.

Added "European".

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

merseymouth wrote:Having completed my submission I have the feeling that it is a sheer waste of money, they know more about me from my medical records.

Who do you think has access to your medical records?

Jonathan
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Had our letter arrive yesterday, says to do the form online from 21st March onwards.
Does it ask if you've got a TV licence?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

philvantwo wrote:Had our letter arrive yesterday, says to do the form online from 21st March onwards.
Does it ask if you've got a TV licence?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can also do it early, it does explicitly say so
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.