Census 2021

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs

Re: Census 2021

Post by Debs »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:On one of the 'Rejoin the EU' pages on Social media they are asking all those who wish to make a point to enter 'European' in the 'other' box under nationality.Apparently you can tick multiple boxes.So I,for instance,can tick English,British and European(Other).Not sure if the Data will ever be used but I'm all about making points :mrgreen:

This census is a huge lost opportunity, for no expense or hassle at all they should and easily could of asked something very important and interesting like...

Do you believe the UK should of remained a member of the EU?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Debs wrote: ..................... easily could of asked something very important and interesting like...

Could I suggest that the idea is a good one as a question, but it needs to be an open question.
Your wording isn't an open question and is suggestive.
Mick F. Cornwall
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mick F wrote:
Debs wrote: ..................... easily could of asked something very important and interesting like...

Could I suggest that the idea is a good one as a question, but it needs to be an open question.
Your wording isn't an open question and instead it needs to be open, and not suggestive.

Please tick one of the following:

Do you believe the UK should of remained a member of the EU? [ ]
Do you agree the UK should of left the EU? [ ]
Don't have a preference either way [ ]
syklist

Re: Census 2021 - is it just a big con?

Post by syklist »

cycle tramp wrote:Again they would say that, they've asked for it. MI5 have probably requested too... i bet the really paranoid mps really love that, one massive sweep of everyone's information in one place.

I take it you don't use the internet then?

Having lived in two countries with a central register of residents I find it a bit quaint that the UK still does this census thing. In the Netherlands and Norway you are required to register usually at the local council. In Norway the data gets put into a database called the "Folkeregister" along with basic information about you such as your DOB, nationality and other family members living at the same address.

If you need proof of your address in Norway you order a certificate from the Folkeregister. It arrives in the post to your registered address. If you order a new bank card it will get sent to your registered address (well to your local Post office where you have to show ID to pick it up). Letters from the health authority regarding appointments get sent to your registered address. It makes a lot of things somewhat easier. Especially when you move.

Of course, the problem with a central register is that it won't give you any information about those people who are not registered. However, I doubt such people would willingly give their details to a census official in the UK, so a census won't get you that information either.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
cycle tramp

Re: Census 2021 - is it just a big con?

Post by cycle tramp »

syklist wrote:
Having lived in two countries with a central register of residents I find it a bit quaint that the UK still does this census thing. In the Netherlands and Norway you are required to register usually at the local council. In Norway the data gets put into a database called the "Folkeregister" along with basic information about you such as your DOB, nationality and other family members living at the same address.

If you need proof of your address in Norway you order a certificate from the Folkeregister. It arrives in the post to your registered address. If you order a new bank card it will get sent to your registered address (well to your local Post office where you have to show ID to pick it up). Letters from the health authority regarding appointments get sent to your registered address. It makes a lot of things somewhat easier. Especially when you move.

And spectacularly messes your life up if someone mixes up your address, say by accidentally transposing your house digits or getting part of the road name wrong..
Trust me, I've worked in local government.. It happens Go and watch Brazil by Terry Gilliam. The film is closer to my experience than most government officers care to admit :D
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Debs wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Your wording isn't an open question and instead it needs to be open, and not suggestive.

Please tick one of the following:

Do you believe the UK should of remained a member of the EU? [ ]
Do you agree the UK should of left the EU? [ ]
Don't have a preference either way [ ]
Sorry, still leading questions.

I take it by your phrasing, that you wanted us to remain.
Mick F. Cornwall
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I doubt the ONS is particularly interested in getting into political polling on a Census. It is already a long form and it is best to keep these things as short as is possible else quality tends to suffer.

There are more than enough trackers out there operated by established market research companies that answer such questions.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The census is about facts not views.
John
Debs

Post by Debs »

Oldjohnw wrote:The census is about facts not views.

So why the questions on supernatural sky god beliefs?

Can't see any facts there!

However, European is an identity, and it's fairly factual that most UK peoples would rather be in the EU than out, also a fact that the overwhelming majority of UK peoples would be better off in the EU, and also a fact that the establishment don't want the people to know the facts so they deliberately omit important questions in the Census such as EU membership. It's a very poor show :|
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Debs wrote:

So why the questions on supernatural sky god beliefs?

Can't see any facts there!

However, European is an identity, and it's fairly factual that most UK peoples would rather be in the EU than out, also a fact that the overwhelming majority of UK peoples would be better off in the EU, and also a fact that the establishment don't want the people to know the facts so they deliberately omit important questions in the Census such as EU membership. It's a very poor show :|

It doesn’t ask you to describe your beliefs but the fact of your religion. The census does not do politics. The government has no input and we are not having a second referendum which would be a political decision.

I don’t take second place behind anyone in criticism of this government. But I do know the National Statistics Authority and they are very independent. Just this very week they have publicly criticised Michael Gove for abusing national statistics for political purposes.

ONS is an executive agency and does not report to any minister but directly to parliament.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The guidance on national identity includes "up to you how you answer" and "could" and "feel".

And on ethnic group includes "up to you how you answer" and "if you feel" and "best reflects".

Most of the others are about facts.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:But I do know the National Statistics Authority and they are very independent. Just this very week they have publicly criticised Michael Gove for abusing national statistics for political purposes.

ONS is an executive agency and does not report to any minister but directly to parliament.

Yes.

And independence and pluralism are as important to democracy as voting.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If I am anything I have Humanist beliefs. This is their take...

https://humanism.org.uk/census-2021/

I wont join because as an organisation they seem to me to be rather intolerant of religious people and the priveliges they currently enjoy. But I think they are right to ask people who arent believers to fess up.

"However, European is an identity, and it's fairly factual that most UK peoples would rather be in the EU than out, also a fact that the overwhelming majority of UK peoples would be better off in the EU, and also a fact that the establishment don't want the people to know the facts so they deliberately omit important questions in the Census such as EU membership. It's a very poor show "

Ah...that explains why a majority voted to leave and why Boris got re elected with a thumping majority when he promised to get Brexit done?

Personally I dont fancy government by opinion poll :roll: Everyone can vote...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:But I do know the National Statistics Authority and they are very independent. Just this very week they have publicly criticised Michael Gove for abusing national statistics for political purposes.

Yes.

And independence and pluralism are as important to democracy as voting.

Jonathan

Well, yes. What I was meaning is that the census is not an opinion poll. It isn’t there to get views on policies, one way or another eg re Brexit. The questions you refer to, whilst not absolute facts, are about personal identity not political views.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sure... I didn't join in the political stuff above.

But the idea of a lot more direct democracy is very interesting...

Jonathan