Supermarket home delivery mistakes.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Post by Syd »

We’ have been getting regular supermarket food shopping deliveries for almost a year now and it’s been very good with only the odd mistake.

Tonight was one of the more amusing ones. Mrs Syd added 100g of fresh ginger to the order. This is what arrived.

Seems the packer misread it as 700g!
Jdsk

Re: Supermarket home delivery mistakes.

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

Order of magnitude problem?

Jonathan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

We get through quite a lot of ginger, in various recipes, so buying that much wouldn't be so outrageous for us. It should keep for a while in the fridge.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

My wife did exactly the same thing last week
Syd

Post by Syd »

Peeled what we won’t use soon and shoved it in the freezer. Should grate well onto things from frozen.
rjb

Post by rjb »

During this lockdown Mrs rjb is piggybacking our shopping with a neighbour's online delivery. She ordered 3 carrots and received 3.3 kg. Our night vision has improved somewhat. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

rjb wrote:During this lockdown :

Thought I'd reduce my shopping /supermarket visits given this virus thing is so serious*. Only called in on 13 occasions last week,this week it's been reduced to 6 visits (Nb. Though I suppose if the pain au chocolat aren't very good tomorrow, given that it's essential food shopping I'll have to review the pain au chocolat elsewhere - took four shops/supermarkets last Sunday to find decent pain au chocolat)

And now I've met my first ever person who's had it/got it, it's even more serious. A local supermarket cashier, was tested as part of a testing program. Seem's he has/has had this deadly disease and like so many are showing the deadly effect (Nb. Wasn't aware he'd had it. Suppose I may have had it, but the routine testing kit sent out was so complex (Nb. Access codes, security codes, vials, security seals), chucked it out)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ginger jam and ginger preserves in general. No doubt you can pickle it.

Mrs Mick F is well know locally for her jams, marmalades, chutneys, pickles and all manner of stuff in a jar.
She sells it to raise money for charity.
Mick F. Cornwall
boblo

Post by boblo »

Mick F wrote:Ginger jam and ginger preserves in general. No doubt you can pickle it.

Mrs Mick F is well know locally for her jams, marmalades, chutneys, pickles and...

...eccentric husband... :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

rjb wrote:During this lockdown Mrs rjb is piggybacking our shopping with a neighbour's online delivery. She ordered 3 carrots and received 3.3 kg. Our night vision has improved somewhat. :lol:

Was that a supermarket mistake or an online order input mistake? Sainsbury (the supermarket I seem to use these days) for loose veg products have the option to enter the quantity in items or weight. And if you enter the quantity in weight (e.g. 3 Kg) and later go to edit it there is a bug in the edit screen where the Items/weight defaults to Items yet the quantity stays the same (i.e. 3 Kg becomes 3 Items) - the wrong way round for your issue but might be an order input issue?

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Same thought... but it doesn't look quite enough for 1000g rather than 100g.n

Jonathan

PS: I suspect that Syd has experience of unit problems from work...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've also found the number of errors surprisingly low. I've had a few issues with quality but I've learnt what needs checking and now reject poor produce (which is not often). But you have to learn "technique" to make sure that if you reject e.g. some veg you have enough other stuff so you still have meals and still have enough food until next delivery.

I have on one occasion cooked some veg and only then found it was dreadful - so I phoned to complain and they immediately refunded no questions asked.

My circumstances currently make home delivery essential but I suspect that having got used to it I'd probably use it anyway.

I do like their systems allowing them more efficient deliveries (which also means "greener"). Their "Saver Slot" delivery - where they have a longer time slot allowing them more efficient scheduling (which means less driver distance and this more environmentally friendly). Also, on the narrower (more expensive) time windows they flag slots where the driver is already close to you so more efficient = more environmentally friendly.

In
Syd

Post by Syd »

The actual printed receipt that came with the delivery showed a weight of 702 grammes. The order placed was for 100g, checked on comfirmation email. Hence I suspect it was misread by the person packing that part of the order.

Yes, Jdsk, units can be fun. Especially the ones than are realtively close, such as mmHg and mbar (1:1.33322). If only manufacturers would agree an common unit of measurement.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:Ginger jam and ginger preserves in general. No doubt you can pickle it.

Mrs Mick F is well know locally for her jams, marmalades, chutneys, pickles and all manner of stuff in a jar.
She sells it to raise money for charity.

Picked ginger is something we always have plenty of. Generally pick up a load each time we visit the Asian wholesaler.

Goes very well as a condiment with some Japanese dishes we cook at home.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Just chatting with my lovely wife earlier about this, and she says she'd cook pieces of it and bottle them in syrup.
You can buy it like that already prepared, and that's what she uses for ginger jam etc.
Once in syrup, you can eat it with a spoon!
Mick F. Cornwall