How Honest Are You?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What Do You Do, Not What Do You Say You Do!

Poll ended at 22 Feb 2021, 2:27pm

Happy as larry and keep free stuff delivered to your address.
18%
If contacted, you have no intention of giving back.
No votes
Wait and do nothing, hoping that no one will know.
No votes
Wait and cooperate to send back.
6%
Contact the sender If you can (contact address available).
59%
Change your mind when you need to / if you have to.
No votes
Other not covered above.
18%

Total votes: 17

NATURAL ANKLING

How Honest Are You?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ordered a high cost External backup drive, turned up early :)
Now I have two, two seperate bags, both delivered by Royal mail.
Address was hand written.
Both signed for label, but I did not sign as they leave my stuff in porch behind closed door, this is normal And I am happy with that arrangement.
They have of course delivered my stuff (I assume) else ware at xmas, probably Parcel Force. Had several courier and RM gone missing over the years, maybe 1:250 items say.

I would say its another customers goods with my duplicated address despite being hand written.

I am simply too honest and dred being found out :P (victorian parents, and were happy to punish with a stick if you even looked guilty :( )

I would imagine the law says stealing if it could be proved delivered to you, like ball over fence?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Re: How Honest Are You?

Post by rjb »

When FedEx delivered my tandem I found another package caught up in the wrapping. No phone number but I managed to call the intended recipient having found his number in the phone book. He came straight round from the next village to collect it. He wasn't at all grateful. I wished I had asked fedexto collect it. Would they have bothered?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Never happened to me or us, so I can't use a personal story about the issue.

I'd like to think that I'd contact the seller to ask what they'd want me to do.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think our behaviour is probably too nuanced to fit easily into any of the categories above.

For example.
If a small supplier sent me two items I'd contact them. (In one case I negotiated to buy both and got a discount).
In the past I've found a wallet and returned it to the owner, ditto a bag that I saw a woman put down at the side of her car and drive off.
I found £20 on the street, checked the local social media page for anyone claiming to have lost it and when nobody did I sponsored someone for the £20.

However:
When a large supplier sent me two of something I kept them both (although I'd have returned one had they contacted me).
Someone fraudulently used my credit card, after speaking to my provider they refunded the money but also refunded some of my purchases to the tune of several hundred pounds which I didn't contact them about.

So for me it's a moveable feast.
When dealing with individuals I put vastly more weight on honesty than when dealing with corporations.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Many years ago I ordered my very first IBM compatible computer, with a 486DX2-66 processor and4 meg if RAM, from a mail order company.

It arrived on Christmas Eve and we thought nothing more of it. In mid January, whilst I was out at work, the ex Mrs Syd took a phone call from the company. They were apologising about us not yet having our computer and said it would ship soon. The ex said’But we have one’ to which the reply was ‘OK thanks’.

The following day a letter dropped through the door confirming cancellation of the order! Despite numerous calls, and a letter, the company refused to accept they had shipped us anything.

As it was ‘pay on invoice’ the invoice obviously never arrived so we got it free.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Arrived home and found large/heavy box in my flat communal address to me.
Open box, what is it i thought, i have not ordered something this big, but waiting for a 26mm socket.
The box contained a large pressure washer.
Who had sent it I thought, no return address?
Phone a cycle wholesaler i deal with, it not them
Saw large code number on the outside of the box, put the number into google, the box is from amazon.
Eventually found a UK number for the sender.
Phone the sender
They confirmed i had not ordered it.
They gave me a choice of returning to them and they refund the postage or for me to keep it.
I kept it.
I sent an email to the sender to confirm the arrangement.
I have not received a return.
6 months as pasted.
I never did receive the 26mm socket.

Am I honrest?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Have you sold it yet? Can't see it can being any use to you living in a flat.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

philvantwo wrote:Have you sold it yet? Can't see it can being any use to you living in a flat.

I am going to give it to my girlfriend who lives in a house.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

We were burgled. We supplied a list of things stolen. The insurance company paid us or replaced goods. A few weeks/months later my wife found the Ray-Bans she'd claimed for. She wrote a cheque to the value.

I was teaching the chap who was our insurance broker. He turned up for his next lesson and I gave him the cheque. He was gobsmacked.

"Nobody's ever done this before Mike, they won't know what to do with the cheque".

Though we did get a nice letter from the insurance company thanking us for our "refreshing honesty".

Mind you, my wife's a solicitor and is scrupulous about anything that could possibly get her struck off. Though I doubt that would have done.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

15 years ago I bought an expensive RAB sleeping bag from an online shop. A few days later a second arrived. I phoned the shop and arranged to return the extra one. On a much more minor level, the local baker tried to charge me too little for my 2 loaves. I pointed out the error. It just seems right to me.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Too many saints on here :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Many years ago I was skiing at St Moritz and I found a really chunky men's gold bracelet at the turnstile for a ski lift and I handed it into the lift attendant. Goodness knows what he did with it, may be I should have kept it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mikeymo wrote:We were burgled. We supplied a list of things stolen. The insurance company paid us or replaced goods. A few weeks/months later my wife found the Ray-Bans she'd claimed for. She wrote a cheque to the value.

I was teaching the chap who was our insurance broker. He turned up for his next lesson and I gave him the cheque. He was gobsmacked.

"Nobody's ever done this before Mike, they won't know what to do with the cheque".

Though we did get a nice letter from the insurance company thanking us for our "refreshing honesty".

Mind you, my wife's a solicitor and is scrupulous about anything that could possibly get her struck off. Though I doubt that would have done.

We had something similar, turned out some jewellery we'd claimed for was in a safe deposit box.

To counter that we claimed for a camcorder that had been stolen in the robbery, the insurance (new for old) knocked off £400 because they'd rang around and found they could buy it for that price at Dixons. No problem since I just wanted to replace it.
When we finally got the cheque it turned out that price had been an end of line sale and they'd sold out.

The extra for the jewellery went some way to covering the extra cost of the new camcorder.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I took a faulty telephone extension cable back to the shop. They did not want to take it back but I was very insistent on my rights and got a refund. They took my address and a few days later posted the cable to me, pointing out that they had not sold it to me in the first place! When I thought about it I realised I had made a mistake. I had the wrong shop. They did not ask for a refund from me.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Syd

Post by Syd »

On an insurance front; we were burgled a number of years ago.

For all the tech items stolen I had receipts, serial numbers and even wireless card MAC addresses for everything. The loss adjuster was impressed and happy to take all that information. He then told us that, usually, they would pass the list to a company they dealt with and they would supply replacements. Unfortunately that company had gone bust and, in the interim, they were supplying Argos vouchers.

He then proceeded to take an Argos catalog from his bag and start topping up. Or the things stolen some were from eBay and I pointed out I would buy another from there so was happy to take the price I paid. He said he was not allowed to do that and he must give me the new value from Argos despite it being a multiple of what I paid.

The Argos match for another item was more expensive at the spec he had had that a higher spec version of the same thing. Again he insisted in giving us the higher value.