How Honest Are You?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

What Do You Do, Not What Do You Say You Do!

Poll ended at 22 Feb 2021, 2:27pm

Happy as larry and keep free stuff delivered to your address.
18%
If contacted, you have no intention of giving back.
No votes
Wait and do nothing, hoping that no one will know.
No votes
Wait and cooperate to send back.
6%
Contact the sender If you can (contact address available).
59%
Change your mind when you need to / if you have to.
No votes
Other not covered above.
18%

Total votes: 17

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: How Honest Are You?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Seller has replied-

"did i send out to parcels to you?

clearly i had no idea

thank you soo much

please send me your paypal add and ill transfer you some money for the postage

thats very kind and honest of you and very silly of me"
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi-

"Xxxxxxxx you are a top guy

once i get this back im gonna get you a bottle of wine on me ( ill pay and you drink)

cheers pal"
:P :)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

My daughters partner ordered a laptop from a multi outlet company. I think he paid around 500€.
The delivery arrived, properly addressed and signed for. On opening the box he found an apple MacBook inside. He decided to wait to see if they would contact him, but they never did.
He kept the Macbook as it was worth several times more than what he'd actually bought.
I didn't comment when he kept telling me how hard it was to switch over from Windows to Mac.
Although it was a large retailer who could afford the error I still thing it was wrong to keep it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

UK law is fairly clear according to Citizens Advice:

Can you keep stuff delivered by mistake? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-30294748
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 16 Feb 2021, 10:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
It's common to hear these defences from criminals (no disrespect to anybody here of course) Who get caught, well it wasn't an individual it was a warehouse, so it's not hurting anyone!
Hindsight I should've thought about this and included that in an option in the poll.
I have to admit that I no longer feel obliged to correct mistakes at the till when you're receiving change that seems too much, but on the other hand I don't use cash much as most people don't nowadays.
Unfortunately it's quite often common for people to mention exclaim even that When you do own up about receiving something which you shouldn't, and you wish to correct the mistake.
When Firms like Royal mail obviously use postcodes so they shouldn't make any mistakes, it doesn't mean that someone can miss write a postcode especially if they are hand writing it, so I suppose it is likely that you will still have parcels go astray.
just annoys me a bit but it's pretty obvious as I have received parcels that should've gone elsewhere on my estate I always attempt to redeliver, which has four roads al beginning with the same name, that within walking distance of just a minute or so I've never received a misplaced parcel, and I have had several go missing in the last year,Royal mail of course because there is no way back once Royal mail have delivered the parcel because they naturally assume it went to the correct house, Curriers is of course nowadays take photographs.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Oldjohnw wrote:UK law is fairly clea according to Citizens Advice:

Can you keep stuff delivered by mistake? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-30294748

Imagine this is a bit of a legal minefield if stuff is wrongly delivered or accidentally added to your order unless you contact them how would they ever know they sent you the items?
Parcel couriers Seem to take photographs where they leave the parcel, but Royal mail and Parcelforce do not, they even tick a box whete you sign for it when you haven't.
unless an individual Royal mail delivery person remembers delivering a box of a certain size to your house? That's going to be unlikely probably with the amount of parcels they deliver, then it will be very hard to prove this in court.
The postman will never know unless it's pointed out to him that he delivered a letter or a parcel to the wrong address, otherwise you could ask them why they intentionally delivered it to the wrong address.
Of course in law there will be assumptions written down in law I think that it will be assumed that has happened one way or the other, when a judge makes a something up and said it will be it is highly probable that you did kill this person and dispose of the body, without any physical evidence.

Best advice say nothing!
P.S.I have on several occasions had parts that I did not order added to my delivery, anybody's received a large amount of parcels probably has had this too, interesting to know which way the law sits there.
It's very common of course when you do contact someone for them to say just keep it isn't it if it's low cost.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:well it wasn't an individual it was a warehouse, so it's not hurting anyone!

I'd argue that morally there is a difference.

Places like Amazon factor in their losses, same with credit card companies. Those numbers are well known and fairly consistent over the quantities they deal with so easy to account for.
Your local bike shops online service or an individual don't, they don't shift anything like the numbers to be able to smooth them out.

The onus ultimately is on the supplier to get it right from the off, but like most things they only put in enough effort to keep the losses manageable.
It's all cost / benefit. If they were genuinely bothered they'd fix it.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I found some credit cards outside a local supermarket and also a wallet somebody had left on the supermarket cafe table. Handed both in the the help desk.
Amazon once sent me a kindle and a pizza tray destined for somebody in southern England. After a bit of faffing around they did eventually get a courier company to pick up the goods.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Found a wage envelope full of cash in a Cornish town early on a Saturday morning, just an initial and surname on it. Asked a local cafe owner for the name of the local Facebook group and posted on it if anyone knew a person of that name that had lost their wages. Lots of sharing and tagging over the next few hours and a lady of that name got in touch, confirmed exactly how much was in the envelope and was reunited with her lost wages the same day.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Noticed 4-5 copper coins in the self scan, change slot at Morrisons the other day. It could have been tempting, but would have been fraudulent to take it :?.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Honest as they come thanks... :wink:

We had a parcel delivered last year. It was our address but no idea about the name. Having two daughters they quickly established it was very expensive make up (markings on the box). I e mailed the company but got no reply, I e mailed the courier but got no reply.

I knocked on doors to no avail. About two weeks later someone from down the road knocked on the door and said ' I think you have our parcel'. Clearly the courier or the sending company had forwarded our details to them despite no acknowledgement to us. There was a point where you have to think what do I do with this item, luckily we didn't reach it but the daughters actively discussed it.

In todays tech / CCTV couriers taking photos of the house /doorstep its delivered too its better to be safe than sorry.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sent parcel of to seller. 1ST recorded signed for.
Sent as it was received, IIRC its insured to £30 default, item is £83, not my problem anymore.

So the law says any parcel miss sent (wrong address) you can keep, no wonder royal mail don't waste time tracking parcels down that they posted in wrong holes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... So the law says any parcel miss sent (wrong address) you can keep ...

I don't think that that is an accurate statement of the law and I cannot see anything higher up which says it is.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I would guess that a fair few forum members are old enough to remember the old telephone boxes.
You put 4d. in the slot and pressed button A when the number called answered. If you could not get through, pressing button B would get your four pennies returned.
I was a boy mooching around when I pressed B for no particular reason and was rewarded. Four pence was worth something to a boy in those days.
It was years before I stopped pressing B in hope when passing a box.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?