Living in a 2nd floor flat/apartment

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
1982john

Living in a 2nd floor flat/apartment

Post by 1982john »

I'm looking to move from my house share to a flat this summer.

There are some really good prices for second-floor flats, but I can't imagine how much of a pain this would be as a cyclist (there is no lift in blocks of flats with less than 3 floors as far as I can tell).

Probably not so bad if going for a quick spin on a light bike but if you're doing a bit of shopping etc.... Maybe there will be somewhere on the ground I can store a cheapish shopper bike but in my experience there usually isn't anything viable (protection from weather/security isn't full)

Anyone else who did this want to share their experiences?
Jdsk

Re: Living in a 2nd floor flat/apartment

Post by Jdsk »

There are two recent discussions in the archives... suggestions include types of lock, telling the questioner to carry a bike upstairs when they've said that they can't, and mine of talking to the landlord/manager/whatever and other residents.

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

1982john wrote:I'm looking to move from my house share to a flat this summer.

There are some really good prices for second-floor flats, but I can't imagine how much of a pain this would be as a cyclist (there is no lift in blocks of flats with less than 3 floors as far as I can tell).

I guess your strength, fitness (youth maybe?) and the width of the stairwell are all factors. A long time ago I lived in a first floor flat and had no problems taking a bike up and down. The biggest problem was lack of a hall in the flat and storing a wet, dirty bike (if it happened to have been a wet day and a dirty ride). The front door opened straight into a carpeted room. I did it but it wasn't ideal. Of course though if you're buying you can arrange/furnish it to suit - I was renting so couldn't.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

1982john wrote:
Anyone else who did this want to share their experiences?

I've had three 1st floor flats in recent years and never found an issue. As long as you're fit & undamaged it'll probably be something you never actually think about, on moving in (Nb. My experience in any case). Rather like a long commute it becomes routine
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that so long as you are fit enough to get the bike up and down the stairs and careful to avoid damaging the decorations etc., your main problem is likely to be storing your bike in the flat.

I've not lived in a flat like that but my late mother lived in a first floor flat for her last 25 years before she went into care. Carrying a bike upstairs wasn't a big deal and to begin with I used to leave it on a communal landing but that upset the Hyacinth Bucket in my mother who didn't want neighbours complaining. I never tried carrying my shopping bike up but a tourer with full guards, Camper Longflap etc was no problem. Going up another storey would have been here nor there.

So, I started wheeling it into her flat, whose hallway was big enough for a bike. To avoid marking her carpet I got a length of transparent carpet runner which worked a treat.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Not me mate? The three trikes would be a real issue, be even worse if I still had a tandem-trike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
PH

Post by PH »

I've lived in four flats over the last twenty-five years, second, first, third and first floor in that order. As has already been said, you ability to lift and carry the bike will be a essential, but given that the biggest factor is the space, followed by the decor.
Second floor flat with semi outside concrete steps was fine, except slippery when wet.
First floor was a converted house with the stairs and hallway carpeted. I made a bag for the lower half of the best bike and it was a real pain getting it in and out. The everyday bike stayed locked up outside.
Third floor was a purpose built block, wide stairs and landings, apart from the physical effort it was fine, shoulder the bike and unless I met someone coming the other way, pretty easy. With heavy shopping, I'd leave that at the bottom of the stairs and go back for it, which can be a pain.
Current first floor, reasonably wide stairs in line with the door and an easy turn on the landing, though not enough room to shoulder the bike. With luggage, I usually take it up separately. The landlord has put D rings on the wall in the communal space above the stairs for the three flats on this floor, though there's usually just my bike, one other and occasionally a visiting pushchair. I have one bike locked there and the others hanging just inside the flat. If I come in with a wet bike, it stays in this area till it's dried off. Although I have no obligation to, I keep this area clean as I appreciate the landlord's consideration.
Now I've written this, I think the last point is important, that is the landlords attitude. The bottom line is when looking at a place, I need to think about where the bikes are going and how they'll get there, but the floor isn't the only consideration. I've looked at and rejected a few over the years, including some on the round floor.
Good luck
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I rent a garage, not cheap at £63 per month and it's 150 yards away, and to make matters worse I can't get my stuff insured so everything is double locked inside, but I do have an alarm that phones me if the door is lifted.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote:Now I've written this, I think the last point is important, that is the landlords attitude.

Yes. And that of the other residents.

yakdiver wrote:I rent a garage...

And that can be done with other residents.

Jonathan