Attention Mick F!! (pubs open 12th April)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: Attention Mick F!! (pubs open 12th April)

Post by philvantwo »

Who in their right mind would want to sit outside in this weather drinking cold beer!
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

philvantwo wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 6:54pm Who in their right mind would want to sit outside in this weather drinking cold beer!
I don’t drink cold beer: bitter and real ale isn’t cold...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Had a wander past half a dozen local pubs this afternoon with the wife and dog.Not a prayer of getting a drink.Everywhere was full(as expected).I think I'll give it a few days to calm down.
Ride-sleep-repeat

After a walk with the family around Newstead Abbey,Nottinghamshire, yesterday we decided to call into a nice little pub called the Griffins Head in Papplewick for a bite and a drink.We were sat outside waiting for our order when we noticed a little smoke in the garden of a house across the road.Nothing strange there,the owner perhaps burning some dead leaves/branches etc?After a couple of minutes we heard what we thought were the burners to inflate a hot-air balloon.Everyone was sat waiting in anticipation for the Balloon to inflate behind the house....
The smoke got thicker and blacker and it quickly became apparent that the detached garage was on fire and the 'burners' were in fact either gas cyclinders!
Fire brigade called and arrived,everyone moved to the field behind the pub until all under control.It looks like the FB got the fire under control before any major damage done to the house but the garage had by this time collapsed.Thankfully no one was in the house.

Still waiting for our first post-lockdown beer!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

markjohnobrien wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 6:56pm
philvantwo wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 6:54pm Who in their right mind would want to sit outside in this weather drinking cold beer!
I don’t drink cold beer: bitter and real ale isn’t cold...
This reminds me of the discussion on the recent thread about Newcastle Brown. At some stage they incorporated the heat-sensitive label which was supposed to show when it had been chilled to the right temperature. Once upon a time, the skill was to pour a bottle without it frothing up. More recently there were instructions on the label about how to pour it to create a head.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:45am This reminds me of the discussion on the recent thread about Newcastle Brown. At some stage they incorporated the heat-sensitive label which was supposed to show when it had been chilled to the right temperature. Once upon a time, the skill was to pour a bottle without it frothing up. More recently there were instructions on the label about how to pour it to create a head.
journey into space always has a head for me For nearly 50 years I’ve been taking the journey in these bottle glasses
EB440D1A-B09B-4D9B-8822-280A77E95E5B.jpeg
Putting bottled beers into pint glasses is an abomination!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

One summer when I was a student I worked as a waitress in a Austrian hotel where all the guests were British package holiday tourists. I poured their lagers very carefully with a minimum head, which was not at all to the liking of the head waitress - she insisted there should be lots of froth. She was most bemused when the guests started specifically asking for me to serve them! :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

The old jibe was to reply to being served a frothy short measure with "Oh good! I like a little beer with my pint of head!" There are a few surly publicans I wouldn't dare, though...
Tangled Metal wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 4:35pm Which is more important to you, going to the pub or getting your hair professionally cut?
First beer out Tuesday evening (Monday still traditional closing here and I hear the few open specially were packed), haircut Wednesday morning.

But I booked the haircut first.

Make of that what you will!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:32am After a walk with the family around Newstead Abbey,Nottinghamshire, yesterday we decided to call into a nice little pub called the Griffins Head in Papplewick for a bite and a drink.We were sat outside waiting for our order when we noticed a little smoke in the garden of a house across the road.Nothing strange there,the owner perhaps burning some dead leaves/branches etc?After a couple of minutes we heard what we thought were the burners to inflate a hot-air balloon.Everyone was sat waiting in anticipation for the Balloon to inflate behind the house....
The smoke got thicker and blacker and it quickly became apparent that the detached garage was on fire and the 'burners' were in fact either gas cyclinders!
Fire brigade called and arrived,everyone moved to the field behind the pub until all under control.It looks like the FB got the fire under control before any major damage done to the house but the garage had by this time collapsed.Thankfully no one was in the house.

Back in about 1970 used to cycle with friends from home in Ilkeston up to Newstead Abbey, via Kiimberley and Hucknall. Not sure I'd be happy to let a twelve year old do that now. A few more years went by before we started to combine bike rides with beer stops.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

sjs wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 12:42pm ........... combine bike rides with beer stops.
Often done that!
Dog walks and beer stops are good as well.

Dog walk this afternoon, and stopped for a couple of beers in the sunshine - mind you, it's chilly if you're not in the sun.
Home now, and lit the fire! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:32am After a walk with the family around Newstead Abbey,Nottinghamshire, yesterday we decided to call into a nice little pub called the Griffins Head in Papplewick for a bite and a drink.We were sat outside waiting for our order when we noticed a little smoke in the garden of a house across the road.Nothing strange there,the owner perhaps burning some dead leaves/branches etc?After a couple of minutes we heard what we thought were the burners to inflate a hot-air balloon.Everyone was sat waiting in anticipation for the Balloon to inflate behind the house....

Newstead Abbey is good: cycled there a few times.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Went to the pub Tuesday lunchtime. Only 2 others in the pub! Apparently there were 150 in the garden on Monday! :shock:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ride-sleep-repeat

Paulatic wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 11:04am
thirdcrank wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 10:45am This reminds me of the discussion on the recent thread about Newcastle Brown. At some stage they incorporated the heat-sensitive label which was supposed to show when it had been chilled to the right temperature. Once upon a time, the skill was to pour a bottle without it frothing up. More recently there were instructions on the label about how to pour it to create a head.
journey into space always has a head for me For nearly 50 years I’ve been taking the journey in these bottle glasses
Back in the 80's Newkie Brown was a popular drink amongst 'Rockers'.Always out of the bottle,never a glass!If I have one nowadays it's still the same.
(Possibly) interestng story re Newcastle Brown.I was at a Rock night in a local club in the early 90s and went to the bar to order a Newkie.Barman said they'd just sold out.Young lady beside me had just ordered the last one.She asked if I wanted to share it and we did taking turns out of the bottle.That bottle lead to a happy 3 year relationship!Although not still together we had a son and are still friends almost 30 years on.
Happy memories 8)
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:47am
Paulatic wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 11:04am
Back in the 80's Newkie Brown was a popular drink amongst 'Rockers'.Always out of the bottle,never a glass!If I have one nowadays it's still the same.
(Possibly) interestng story re Newcastle Brown.I was at a Rock night in a local club in the early 90s and went to the bar to order a Newkie.Barman said they'd just sold out.Young lady beside me had just ordered the last one.She asked if I wanted to share it and we did taking turns out of the bottle.That bottle lead to a happy 3 year relationship!Although not still together we had a son and are still friends almost 30 years on.
Happy memories 8)

The club was probably Rock City.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 9:47am Happy memories
Mine aren’t so happy :|
As a student in Newcastle in the seventies I woke up one morning. Door to corridor wide open, blood on the wall, blood on my face, half clothed. No memory whatsoever of what happened.
Definite journey into space :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info