Attention Mick F!! (pubs open 12th April)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Attention Mick F!! (pubs open 12th April)

Post by Tangled Metal »

They missed a trick with the April dates. Why not use 1st April then when pubs don't open, use the phrase "only joking, April Fool!" Oh what fun Mick F and others would have in the pub when they eventually opened. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Had chat with Derek, and passed the time of day with him and

no one else because 3 would be an illegal gathering, right? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you have workers working on a building site, how many can work at the same time? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:If you have workers working on a building site, how many can work at the same time? :wink:

That's a workplace. Different part of the law.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Do they sell 'Jail Ale,' in those pubs Mick F? I had a pint of it in Plymouth last year but then was back on the Abbot ale. It was Flynn the Springer spaniels last holiday :(
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

3 days to go mick f!
:lol: :lol:
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

philvantwo wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 5:42pm Do they sell 'Jail Ale,' in those pubs Mick F? I had a pint of it in Plymouth last year but then was back on the Abbot ale. It was Flynn the Springer spaniels last holiday :(
That would be Princetown “Jail Ale”: very nice pint when I’ve been in Devon on holiday.

I nearly typed Princeton but that evokes completely different thoughts!
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jail is/was served in a few pubs round here, and Legend too.
I prefer Legend.

Called at the Rising Sun this afternoon on our way back from shopping. They're building a big open air covered area in the garden.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51889 ... 312!8i6656
Loadsa stuff going on there now! :D

We'll be down there at 5pm on Monday. Table booked.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Nearest pub to us is 'The Pear and Partridge' it closed at the start of the first lockdown and has remained shut. I emailed Greene and King to ask them what was happening and they replied they didn't know!
Mind you at £3.60 a pint I'm not that bothered about going out for a drink anymore!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's a small price to pay to keep a business open and having a thriving social life. Buying beer from supermarkets is cheap, but it keeps no-one in a local job other than the shelf-stackers and the checkout operators ............ who would be employed there anyway.

Yet to find out what's happening to a couple of others of our favourite pubs. White Hart and Queens Head. Neither have much of a garden, but they do have outside areas. The Rising Sun has an extensive garden and expansive views of the Tamar Valley so it's always popular in the good weather.

The Buccaneer in the village is a general rough and ready sort of place with salt of the earth characters frequenting it. The landlady of many years standing is in her early 70s and closed her pub right at the beginning of all this Covid stuff. The Bucc has a small covered garden out the back, but I don't know if she'll open up yet. I hope she does as I love that pub.

The Cornish just up the street has a courtyard at the rear. Dunno if they're going to open.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Quite a few pubs to choose from then Mick F. I spent enough money in The Maypole when I lived in Halesowen, 50p a pint when I first went in there. One night we were having a session and the landlord came over and asked if we were having a party, 'yes, its my 18th birthday today' I told him. He looked shocked and said ' but you've been drinking in here for 2 years'!!
Had some laughs in there but now its a Co-op.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

philvantwo wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 6:56am Nearest pub to us is 'The Pear and Partridge' it closed at the start of the first lockdown and has remained shut. I emailed Greene and King to ask them what was happening and they replied they didn't know!
Mind you at £3.60 a pint I'm not that bothered about going out for a drink anymore!

I’d love to pay £3.60 a pint in most pubs. Last time I was in a pub in Hampstead, London, last year, it was £6 a pint (wince). Other craft beer places in the centre are £8 and upwards (far too expensive).

That’s why I prefer good old Sam Smiths, an oasis of good and cheap (for London) beer and Old Brewery bitter, Taddy Porter, and Oatmeal Stout are amazing. And the one next to Trafalgar Square has tables outside😀

I discovered this chain of pubs when I lived in York, Kings Arms by the river Ouse, and while the owner is highly eccentric, the beer is fantastic.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

markjohnobrien wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:22am
I’d love to pay £3.60 a pint in most pubs. Last time I was in a pub in Hampstead, London, last year, it was £6 a pint (wince). Other craft beer places in the centre are £8 and upwards (far too expensive).
Part of that is the London mark up of course, but some of it is the beer itself. There are some special beers out there and some of them use expensive ingredients and/or time so why shouldn't good brewers get the price they deserve. Don't get me wrong I will quite happily buy a £3.80 pint when the pubs open but when I can I'll also be happy to go to de Molen in the Netherlands and spend £10+ (or rather €5 for a metric half pint) of one of their excellent imperial stouts.
markjohnobrien wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:22am That’s why I prefer good old Sam Smiths, an oasis of good and cheap (for London) beer and Old Brewery bitter, Taddy Porter, and Oatmeal Stout are amazing. And the one next to Trafalgar Square has tables outside😀
I quite like Sam Smiths beers but I'm afraid my dislike of Sir Humphrey Smith and his almost feudal control of his pub estate means I don't go in anymore
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Yes, I’m happy to spend extra at Brewdog and the branch at Shepherds Bush had an amazing selection of stouts, porters, chocolate orange beers, etc on tap. £5 -8 for half a pint seems a lot, and it is, but not when it’s between 8-12 % alcohol.

N.B - the pub in Hampstead wasn’t serving good quality CAMRA ale like the Fat Cat or Kelham Island Tavern in Sheffield, it was bog standard lager at £6 a pint. Yeuck.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In the next hour or even less, I'll be taking the doggie for a walk and calling in at the Rising Sun Inn.
I shall report back later, and tell you all how it went. (Not the dog walk, but the visit to the pub!)
Mick F. Cornwall