I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by Jdsk »

I'm not sure of the forum etiquette but I've responded to some of the points about Scottish independence in the other thread.

viewtopic.php?p=1603446#p1603446

The idea being that this one could get back to discussing living in England...

OTOH:

"And what should they know of England who only England know?"

"What do they know of England who only England know"

Kipling or Bragg?

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 12:26pm
"And what should they know of England who only England know?"

"What do they know of England who only England know"

Kipling or Bragg?

Jonathan
Kipling?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That was one of each!

But it wasn't clear because I was avoiding both a fatuous poll and the "Discuss" trope!

: - )

Jonathan

https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/ ... _flag.html

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/billy+bra ... 18169.html
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 5 May 2021, 12:32pm That was one of each!

But it wasn't clear because I was avoiding both a fatuous poll and the "Discuss" trope!

: - )

Jonathan

I was half right!
I recognised the Kipling.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Apologies for talking Scotland in this thread . My defence is that living where I currently live means that the two topics are inextricable connected.

But good behaviour is promised now.
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 May 2021, 2:16pm Apologies for talking Scotland in this thread . My defence is that living where I currently live means that the two topics are inextricable connected.

As you are moving, is it to Scotland which you seem to think is a better place to live than England? If not, why not? :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 May 2021, 2:48pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 May 2021, 2:16pm Apologies for talking Scotland in this thread . My defence is that living where I currently live means that the two topics are inextricable connected.

As you are moving, is it to Scotland which you seem to think is a better place to live than England? If not, why not? :D

Al
When something is asked in such a churlish manner I don’t feel in the least obliged to respond. However, i have already stated the information elsewhere in this forum. I am moving to a village in the Cotswolds to be near to my daughter. I am sure you will understand this.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 May 2021, 3:42pm When something is asked in such a churlish manner I don’t feel in the least obliged to respond. However, i have already stated the information elsewhere in this forum. I am moving to a village in the Cotswolds to be near to my daughter. I am sure you will understand this.
Lots of new bike rides anyway (and a chance to get to know the Chipping Noton set).... :wink:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 May 2021, 2:48pmAs you are moving, is it to Scotland which you seem to think is a better place to live than England? If not, why not?
I hope that people who would like the quality of life in England to improve will stay here and contribute.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 May 2021, 3:42pm
al_yrpal wrote: 5 May 2021, 2:48pm

Al
When something is asked in such a churlish manner I don’t feel in the least obliged to respond. However, i have already stated the information elsewhere in this forum. I am moving to a village in the Cotswolds to be near to my daughter. I am sure you will understand this.
Well, you started this awful thread, and big up Scotland. Rude in a mean-spirited and surly way, not me surely? I'm sure you will feel very comfy alongside Clarkson and all those weekend retired Mandarins Judges Sloanes and Islingtonites!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks, Al.

The thread might seem awful to some. It has involved 36 pages of mostly civilised discussion.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Why is it discussions so often becomes a spate between members. Sometimes the subject does arouse strong feelings but nasty comments between members is rather depressing. You know the sort of thing, not bad enough to call in the Mod but nasty.
Why can't we disagree without it turning spiteful?
I've always believed that it's difficult to get a feeling of a person's nature from their posts on here. In the real world I think most would turn out to be nice people if you actually met them. The written word doesn't convey the same as a face to face meeting so it's important to read your posts before pressing submit.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

francovendee wrote: 6 May 2021, 8:18am Why is it discussions so often becomes a spate between members. Sometimes the subject does arouse strong feelings but nasty comments between members is rather depressing. You know the sort of thing, not bad enough to call in the Mod but nasty.
That's fair comment, but also the title of this thread is likely to raise some emotions.

There is an undercurrent on the Tea Shop that Britain but often just England is an unusually unpleasant country with unusually inept or corrupt politicians or police or bureaucracy or even citizenry and that other countries (not least Scotland if England is the target of ire) always do things better.

I know Germany well. It has as many problems as the UK. Sometimes different problems at different levels of magnitude, but serious problems nevertheless. However if l put up a thread title saying 'I don't like living in Germany' I think it could quickly be called out as racist or at least pandering to stereotypes.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I must say I don’t really understand how criticism of the UK government is racist. I have never criticised “the English”. I am, after all, English. My opening post makes that perfectly clear. And I have no ambitions to love in Scotland and I have spent most of my working life and beyond in trying to improve things.

My criticism of he government is not because it is left or right but because it is corrupt.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 6 May 2021, 8:47am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 6 May 2021, 8:18am Why is it discussions so often becomes a spate between members. Sometimes the subject does arouse strong feelings but nasty comments between members is rather depressing. You know the sort of thing, not bad enough to call in the Mod but nasty.
I've always believed that it's difficult to get a feeling of a person's nature from their posts on here. In the real world I think most would turn out to be nice people if you actually met them. The written word doesn't convey the same as a face to face meeting so it's important to read your posts before pressing submit.
A consistent property of threads that turn nasty is a perceived threat to people's identity. (National analogies are available.)

But it's only a very few posters that indulge in nastiness.

Jonathan