I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^ vorpal.
Please forgive lack of selective quoting, simply too fiddly on this device.

"Only ten times"!!!
I wish pensions went up ten fold.

The pensions argument is part of the disparity argument.

It's not so much "demanding" lower CEO wages as an appeal to keep things more even.

As for the "wealthy people who make laws and run businesses" stuff, well you see in this Govt exactly where that type of lobbying and influence has led.

A greater disparity in wage levels. They offered 1.5% to the NHS! And then under pressure because of recent events raised it to 3%- it's less than inflation.
Inflation caused in great part by this self same Govt's political direction.

People are struggling.
Inflation is high.
Homelessness is a problem.
Social problems abound, especially in the lower waged and under privilidged sectors. Many of which are essential jobs.
More essential than some CEOs!!

Disparity in wage levels feeds those things in my view.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

CEO of NHS, with tens of thousands of employees and hundreds of medical facilities: <£200k.
CEO of Bupa, with a relative handful of employers and facilities: c£4m
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The new Gross Domestic Wellbeing report for England:
https://www.carnegieuktrust.org.uk/publ ... 0-release/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 12:17pmDisparity in wage levels feeds those things in my view.
Inequality seems to be a major determinant of death in the current outbreak.

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 12:17pm ^^ vorpal.
Please forgive lack of selective quoting, simply too fiddly on this device.

"Only ten times"!!!
I wish pensions went up ten fold.

The pensions argument is part of the disparity argument.

It's not so much "demanding" lower CEO wages as an appeal to keep things more even.

As for the "wealthy people who make laws and run businesses" stuff, well you see in this Govt exactly where that type of lobbying and influence has led.

A greater disparity in wage levels. They offered 1.5% to the NHS! And then under pressure because of recent events raised it to 3%- it's less than inflation.
Inflation caused in great part by this self same Govt's political direction.

People are struggling.
Inflation is high.
Homelessness is a problem.
Social problems abound, especially in the lower waged and under privilidged sectors. Many of which are essential jobs.
More essential than some CEOs!!

Disparity in wage levels feeds those things in my view.
I agree, for the most part.

However, something like 10 times difference between the lowest paid and highest is a reasonable sort of scale. 100 times, isn't.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^ vorpal.
In the UK we are faced with this.
Profits and bonuses at HSBC.
A culture of rapacious greed.

Meanwhile if you need a small overdraught the same bank will tell you that near 30% per annum interest rates are a good deal!!
"Come on in for help"!!

Who needs a small overdraught?
The little workers, the really poor and the undervalued.

HSBC can borrow from BoE at next to nothing, or even nothing!
Called something like Quantitive Easing. Such a title!!!

It's a license to print money for a financial elite class, make no mistake.
It costs the rest of us.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-covid-19
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Money ............
Wot's it for?
If everything was free, we wouldn't need it to pay for things, so wouldn't need it.

Money is power. That's all. The more powerful you are, the more money you have, and vice versa.
Poor people have nothing and are subjugated and trod underfoot, whilst the rich live in the lap of luxury.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The CEO of the Salvation army is on a salary of £18,000.
Brian Edwards the CEO of Staffordshire is on a disgusting salary of £210,000 plus no doubt a gold plated pension, what does he do........nobody knows!
I've always earned decent money, looked after it and been lucky buying shares. 59 this year, retired at 55 but 6 months later back working, just bored!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Conservative donors have no influence on policy, insists Grant Shapps

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58098887

This seems to show how even members of the Cabinet are excluded from policymaking
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 11:58am As far as I am aware we havent experienced any serious shortages that we cant live with just yet.
SMMT today:
"The automotive sector continues to battle against shortages of semiconductors and staff, which is throttling our ability to translate a strengthening economic outlook into a full recovery. The next few weeks will see changes to self-isolation policies which will hopefully help those companies across the industry dealing with staff absences, but the semiconductor shortage is likely to remain an issue until at least the rest of the year."

IHS Markit today:
"July data marked the first real slowdown in the construction recovery since the lockdown at the start of this year.
"The loss of momentum spanned all major categories of construction work and was most pronounced in the house building sector.
"Long lead times for materials and shrinking sub-contractor availability were cited as factors holding back work on site. Around two-thirds of the survey panel experienced longer wait times for supplier deliveries in July, while just 2% reported an improvement since the previous month.
"Another rapid increase in purchasing costs was linked to global supply and demand imbalances, but many firms also noted that local issues had amplified inflationary pressures. These included a severe lack of haulage availability, continued reports of Brexit trade frictions, and greater shortages of contractors due to exceptionally strong demand."

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wonder which are the shortages we can live with?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:32pm I wonder which are the shortages we can live with?
From the Food and Drink Association to DEFRA two days ago:
Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 17.58.34.png
https://mobile.twitter.com/adampayne26/ ... 15/photo/1

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Here’s a thought.

When Ms Patel said in May she was considering imposing a charge on EU citizens who wished to visit the UK this was seen as protecting our borders.

When the EU said in August it was considered imposing a tourist fee on UK citizens of £6 it was described as a cruel EU taking revenge.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 6:23pm Here’s a thought.

When Ms Patel said in May she was considering imposing a charge on EU citizens who wished to visit the UK this was seen as protecting our borders.

When the EU said in August it was considered imposing a tourist fee on UK citizens of £6 it was described as a cruel EU taking revenge.
I must admit I missed all that. There are suggestions that a tourism tax could be applied to visitors to parts of Wales, but there is a lot of opposition from businesses dependent on visitors. One thing that always seemed a bit unfair was the UK allowing visitors to drive along most of our motorways free of charge, but when I have driven in Europe they are taking money off me on a regular basis. That would bother me, for about five minutes, then I would forget about it and think of something nicer. Life's too short to get worked up about these things.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 6:08pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 12:32pm I wonder which are the shortages we can live with?
From the Food and Drink Association to DEFRA two days ago:

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 17.58.34.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/adampayne26/ ... 15/photo/1
Meat, poultry, seafood:
https://www.cityam.com/hospitality-warn ... is-autumn/

“The labour shortage, the impact of Brexit on imports, higher distribution and fuel costs, and the continuing impact of the Covid pandemic globally are all factors.

“The effect of inflation not only on costs, but also potentially on consumer confidence, coming as operators are working to rebuild after lockdown, is as serious as any challenge the sector has faced in recent years.

“The same labour shortages hospitality is seeing on the front line stretch back through the supply chain via warehousing and distribution to picking and packing.”

Jonathan