I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by al_yrpal »

There was simply no concrete evidence of disapproval of the blockade and intimidation just comments about how the Torys shouldnt be sending gunboats. Political posturing as per per usual.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:25pm There was simply no concrete evidence of disapproval of the blockade and intimidation just comments about how the Torys shouldnt be sending gunboats. Political posturing as per per usual.
Yes, it was political posturing by Boris. It was hardly a blockade when it moved to let boats out.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:25pm There was simply no concrete evidence of disapproval of the blockade and intimidation just comments about how the Torys shouldnt be sending gunboats. Political posturing as per per usual.

Al

The very first post on this subject:
Here’s a thought. Only England wanted to leave the EU, which was set up - and was successful - as a peace project. Within 5 months of leaving the EU gunboats are on the way to France. I never thought an English PM would order that in my lifetime. Of course, the French agricultural and fishery workers have form here. Some kind of blockade is almost an annual ritual. And it looks like the Jersey government are a bit inept. But gunboats?
But yes, you’re right. I am against just about everything this government, which is Tory, stands for. Not routinely because it is Tory, but on its merit.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Faintly amusing last paragraph from The Telegraph's reporter who was with the French fishermen today.

'Then to add insult to injury, French navy patrol boats they thought were being dispatched to offer support ended up stopping Gallic fishing boats to check their papers. “And we thought they were on our side!” despaired Mr Andreani.'
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ben@Forest wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:43pm Faintly amusing last paragraph from The Telegraph's reporter who was with the French fishermen today.

'Then to add insult to injury, French navy patrol boats they thought were being dispatched to offer support ended up stopping Gallic fishing boats to check their papers. “And we thought they were on our side!” despaired Mr Andreani.'
:lol: :lol: :lol: listen very carefully, I shall say zis only once!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mjr wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:27pm
al_yrpal wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:25pm There was simply no concrete evidence of disapproval of the blockade and intimidation just hysterical comments about how the Torys shouldnt be sending gunboats. Political posturing as per per usual.
Yes, it was political posturing by Boris. It was hardly a blockade when it moved to let boats out.
Imagine you are the skipper of a craft that needs to get out. And, the Condor couldnt get in. Flares! Electricity cut off? Imagine that outside your front door!

Al
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:15pm
al_yrpal wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:45am it was their parliament that is threatening to cut off electricity supplies
No, it was one minister, their Sea Minister, who (as normal for France) is not a current MP.
She was a n MP but AIUI stopped being an MP after being appointed a junior minister in 2014 then a more senior minister. I don't think any minister is still a constituency MP in the sense that they are in the UK. So if my interpret of your comment is that not being a serving MP what she said as maritime minister was of less importance or consequence then I think you are wrong. If Ms Giradine's words aren't important as just a minister then Jean Castex's words as prime minister mustn't carry much weight neither.

Imagine if our foreign minister said something like that in parliament. Would that get passed off as just one minister's words and as inconsequential too?

Whilst I understand the view of wanting to hold your own government to a higher standard than other nations governments it is a bit like a superiority complex for Britain. By that I mean that looking for better for British government implies acceptance that other nations governance can be held to a lower standard. Truth is we're physically an island but not globally. Poor governments in our neighbours can have consequences to the UK. Nobody should let any politician off just because they're not ours. Is democratic imperialism a thing? Is this it?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It started as a blockade but just possible the two patrol vessels from UK made a change of plans. Guess we'll never know about that but just because it was a damp squib doesn't mean that was always going to be the case. As mentioned, the French do have history in big disturbances at ports from various economic sectors. It is kind of in their national character you could say.

The French minister was the first to posture politically of course. Please do not forget that without her comments it's possible this situation would have been barely registered in mainland UK.

Was to Jersey authority seeming to be inept I disagree. They're the only ones trying to calm the situation. Calling for Paris, commission and UK to speed up the licensing process by letting them talk direct to the fishermen. To call for dialogue instead of direct action. Calling for de-escalation. Looking at contingencies if the French cut off electricity distribution. TBH I thought they were the only authorities out of France, UK and Jersey to be trying to make things better instead of politically posturing.

While UK and France sent patrol vessels Jersey talked to the fishermen in the blockade. Says a lot IMHO.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I wonder if Nicola is on the phone to France wanting to rekindle the Auld Alliance.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Tangled Metal wrote: While UK and France sent patrol vessels Jersey talked to the fishermen in the blockade. Says a lot IMHO.
Well you'd hope they would, they're Jersey licences after all. But I don't know if it achieved much - apparently the French promised to come back if things don't go their way.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The always would go back. French do tend to like their protests. Not as much as the Greek though. When I had relative living there you could often hear a disturbance over telephone calls. Only another riot going on outside they flat! Nothing to see here! Not sure if it's still like that.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Perhaps the Gallic blockade encouraged a number of extra Brexit supporting Tory voters to turn out in Hartlepool? Despite all the personal flak from the grey man Boris comes up smelling of roses yet again. The rest of the nationwide results will be very interesting.

Al
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

They once hung a monkey in Hartlepool can we give credence their judgement? :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Johnson’s party winning at Hartlepool doesn’t stop him and his government being corrupt. But I am delighted that here are now two Green members on Northumberland County Council.

Some think Starmer was too far from Corbyn. Others not far enough. Labour really is in a mess. It didn’t reach rock bottom in December 2019: it is still tumbling. Obviously the results will understandably delight Conservative supporters, but such a decimated opposition is not good for the country. Which is where I came in with this thread.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote: 7 May 2021, 7:45am They once hung a monkey in Hartlepool can we give credence their judgement? :wink:
They elected a man in a monkey suit as mayor. Three times.
John