I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
LollyKat

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by LollyKat »

Please all form an orderly queue!
I like some aspects of the [insert newspaper of your choice] but its continual bellyaching, lack of balance and negativity are the things that make it less than perfect. Brexit has brought out the worst in it.
:lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

LollyKat wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 6:26pm Please all form an orderly queue!
I like some aspects of the [insert newspaper of your choice] but its continual bellyaching, lack of balance and negativity are the things that make it less than perfect. Brexit has brought out the worst in it.
Delingpole has contributed some positive and balanced climate change denialism to the Express, Mail, Times, Telegraph and Spectator.
No bellyaching there! He does whinge about wind turbines though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Delingpole
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

World Heritage.
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 18.56.52.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 19.03.05.png
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I dont have a chosen news scource. If you read and listen to lots you can get the gist and make up your own mind. I do like the irreverance of the Daily Star though. :D Apparently I have read over 300 Groaniand articles this year and remain largely unaffected. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 7:48pm I dont have a chosen news scource. If you read and listen to lots you can get the gist and make up your own mind.

Al
Wow. You must spend a lot of time reading, listening and comparing.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Not if its on a particular subject of interest.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 6:35pm
Delingpole has contributed some positive and balanced climate change denialism to the Express, Mail, Times, Telegraph and Spectator.

Balanced in this case = denial.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ben@Forest wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 1:33pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:01pm
Ben@Forest wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 8:56am It seems though that Liverpool had ample warning about what developments might affect the designation though - so authorities knew what they were doing.
I've found it hard to find any detail on that. Despite my emotional attachment to and interest in Liverpool I didn't see this coming, and I wonder how much was caused by poor communications. The local government was in a serious mess throughout that period and that might explain some of it.
Around the same time you posted the original mail about this it also came up on a WhatsApp group I'm on. The person with the 'they knew what they were doing' opinion is a Liverpool tour guide and knows a wealth about the city. I don't know how she came to her opinion, but l trust it.
Thanks.

If anyone finds anything good on how this happened I'd be interested.

Or knows their way around the Council's public records...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mike Sales wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 3:50pmIt is those who criticised the status quo who are responsible for the UK being a good place to live.
Yes. Improvement is like that.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:23am If anyone finds anything good on how this happened I'd be interested.

Jonathan
What is it you're looking for?
The 2009 agreement between LCC and WHS is here, I've only skimmed through it.
https://liverpool.gov.uk/media/9644/wor ... te-spd.pdf

I'm assuming WHS think recent development and planning approvals breach it and the talk from LCC about appealing would indicate that they disagree, at least publicly. Maybe someone will study it and find a clear case for either position, or maybe it's more finely balanced than that and open to interpretation. You're not going to find any documentation where a LCC official, in a position to make decisions, has said we'd rather have X than the heritage status, even if such things were said behind closed doors.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:54am
Jdsk wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:23am If anyone finds anything good on how this happened I'd be interested.

What is it you're looking for?
The 2009 agreement between LCC and WHS is here, I've only skimmed through it.
https://liverpool.gov.uk/media/9644/wor ... te-spd.pdf
Thanks

PH wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 10:54am I'm assuming WHS think recent development and planning approvals breach it and the talk from LCC about appealing would indicate that they disagree, at least publicly. Maybe someone will study it and find a clear case for either position, or maybe it's more finely balanced than that and open to interpretation. You're not going to find any documentation where a LCC official, in a position to make decisions, has said we'd rather have X than the heritage status, even if such things were said behind closed doors.
Wikipedia now has the dates of the decisions, and links to the UNESCO documents:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool ... age_status

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's a wider problem with cultural heritage sites if they form part of a modern setting. It's fairly easy to protect what's left of isolated historic sites but a chunk of a modern city cannot simply be turned into a museum.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Liverpool has had so much deprivation over the years and I think Thatcher kind of cut it loose. Millitant tendency, Derek Hatton, etc. It's really good that's it's seen so much development and TBH I'd rather the city grow and be successful than keep a UNESCO listing. That's not saying these buildings shouldn't be protected just that cities need to grow, develop and prosper. They are competing often with other cities for development and I don't think they can be so prissy over the heritage sites as UNESCO probably wants.

Put simply if there has been a cost benefit look into listing status and it was deemed not worth it I can understand that. I still have family there, admittedly distant by now, but they're living and working in Liverpool? Buildings and cities in aspic appeal to me less than a vibrant job scene, low unemployment, plenty of development, etc.

I'm hoping to visit Liverpool soon. A museum, library and art gallery trip. Maritime museum, museum of Liverpool, Liverpool museum, next door library, next door Walker art gallery. Various dockland sites and Victoria building at the university which AIUI has an exhibition open to the general public these days. Liverpool has and always will a good place to visit? Even if you're not interested in a certain 60s music band or the sport of football.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

al_yrpal wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 10:22pm Not if its on a particular subject of interest.

Al
Whilst The Guardian was campaigning against Climate Change, various right wing papers which I named above were publishing denialist rubbish by Delingpole.
Where did you find find the balance of truth lay?
With the Express, Mail, Times, Telegraph and Spectator, or with the lying Guardian?
Perhaps you are not interested in the subject.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 3:51am
Mike Sales wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 6:35pm

Balanced in this case = denial.
I trust that my heavy sarcasm was clear.