I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by Mike Sales »

661-Pete wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:27am ..
So how much fraud is there? Why isn't that detail being screamed across all the news networks???
From the Electoral Commission:-
595 cases of alleged electoral fraud were investigated by the police. Of these, four led to a conviction and two individuals were given a police caution.

This table shows the number of cases of alleged fraud the police reported to us, for each election held in 2019.
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... fraud-data
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, it's tiny.

Probably more front page articles in newspapers than convictions.

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Apologies for my earlier post here (rightly whacked with the mod stick :oops: ), I had been using 'you're' in the modern collective sense rather than at an individual but it was rude regardless.

I find the westminster argument that voters cannot handle anything more complicated than FPTP quite triggering as its a really patronising attitude to the electorate. Of course, they are more than happy to confer fairer systems upon other nations when it suits the political purposes of preventing nationalist parties gaining majorities with minority votes (e.g. Scotland, and going back further, STV in Ireland)
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mike Sales wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:12pm
661-Pete wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:27am ..
So how much fraud is there? Why isn't that detail being screamed across all the news networks???
From the Electoral Commission:-
595 cases of alleged electoral fraud were investigated by the police. Of these, four led to a conviction and two individuals were given a police caution.
Rhetorical questions of course! - but thanks.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Stevek76 wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:51pm I find the westminster argument that voters cannot handle anything more complicated than FPTP quite triggering as its a really patronising attitude to the electorate. Of course, they are more than happy to confer fairer systems upon other nations when it suits the political purposes of preventing nationalist parties gaining majorities with minority votes (e.g. Scotland, and going back further, STV in Ireland)
I still think that the main reason the electorate turned down AV in the 2011 referendum, was antipathy towards the LibDems - i.e. resentment over their coalition deal with Cameron. I suppose it was a wish to 'punish' then. And look how they were wiped out in 2015's GE...

Furthermore, diehard Tory and Labour supporters would not wish to lose their time-shared advantage.

But now that Labour have effectively imploded, I see a Tory government lasting the rest of my lifetime - and probably the lifetime of many others on here. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

There's a steady internal movement for PR inside labour, increasing numbers of CLPs are voting motions in favour. There may be chance that if they solidly commit to for the next election they'll get through. They'll have to deliver then of course, I don't believe a referendum should be required for it despite the modern fad for such things. No previous voting reform ever required one and I somehow doubt that if the 1918/28/48 acts had been put to popular vote of the then electorate that they'd have passed either!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Election analysis from John Curtice in today’s Times:

Labour’s identity crisis — in an era of identity politics

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3cfa ... 7c756e3ce4
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. Curtice is always worth reading.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Many workers employed across the £37bn NHS test-and-trace service are being paid through networks of opaque small companies that experts fear could be defrauding the Treasury via a notorious tax scheme."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ce-workers

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

"The Labour Party needs "total deconstruction and reconstruction" to win back power"

Even if "the devil incarnate" said it! it's the way it is today........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AFAICT the above is a quote from Blair's (paywalled) article in the New Statesman:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2 ... r-will-die

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Also on BBC news as well as many other places.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57086570
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wherever the origin it is in common usage now. Used on QT last night too. But is it true?

BTW anyone watch the QT last night? A zoom audience member laid into the politicians on the show and the referee, seriously got a block on remembering her name, went into patronising mode afterwards and another comment in the wrap up. Not sure she's as good on the programme as she needs to be. A lot of giving her opinion I thought.

Funny qt though.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Tangled Metal wrote: 14 May 2021, 6:45am Wherever the origin it is in common usage now. Used on QT last night too. But is it true?

BTW anyone watch the QT last night? A zoom audience member laid into the politicians on the show and the referee, seriously got a block on remembering her name, went into patronising mode afterwards and another comment in the wrap up. Not sure she's as good on the programme as she needs to be. A lot of giving her opinion I thought.

Funny qt though.
Is it still compered by Fiona Bruce? An amalgam of smugness and incompetence. Annoying even on the Antiques Roadshow..
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Yes, that's the lady. Poor choice and I hope the BBC doesn't keep her on it as long.