I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fastpedaller

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by fastpedaller »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:43pm Theres some place up in Yorkshire where they force Rhubarb in darkened sheds. Wonderful stuff with custard or ice cream. Our new place has a 75 yard long south facing brick wall I am planning figs peaches and grapes. There is a lot of Rhubarb there already. Near where I lived in South Oxfordshire we had PYO Asparagus. Called Spargle in Germany and sold from roadside booths.

Al
Wow - sounds like a large garden - you could have a personal cycle track in that space :D
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:43pm Theres some place up in Yorkshire where they force Rhubarb in darkened sheds. Wonderful stuff with custard or ice cream. Our new place has a 75 yard long south facing brick wall I am planning figs peaches and grapes. There is a lot of Rhubarb there already. Near where I lived in South Oxfordshire we had PYO Asparagus. Called Spargle in Germany and sold from roadside booths.
It's called the Rhubarb Triangle, it's around Wakefield and all the rhubarb is forced. Beryl Burton worked on growing forced rhubarb.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:43pmCalled Spargle in Germany and sold from roadside booths.
Spargel

and they have Spargelfesten to celebrate the harvest.

Jonathan

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ClappedOut wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:12pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:34am Let them eat rhubarb! © Nim Carline

I am eating rhubarb right now :wink:
We have a plant in a tub, a friend said darkness and don't eat first inch or two by leaf as oxalic acid or something?
I think it should not be eaten raw, the leaves should not be eaten, but have look in the cook book first, to be sure
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've written on the safety aspects above. I wouldn't rely on a cookbook to document the conditions in which you should be concerned about oxalate consumption.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ta Barker...

Al :D
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

661-Pete wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:40pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:05pm BTW how do you know it's organic?
How do I know if the Pope is a Catholic? Yes, some things I have to take on trust. Riverford own their own farms, or else work in close cooperation with their partners in Europe. And the business is a cooperative. Of course this doesn't prove anything. I mentioned the Flat Earthers in another post. You can't prove that the Earth is round...
Tangled Metal wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:05pmThe organic tag seems like marketing to me. Good food does not need to be organic to be healthy. It's about safe production not following soil association rules to become organic accredited.
Well, for some produce labelled 'organic' it may be. But if it's the case with our source, they're doing a very good job of convincing us that it's not marketing...

It's just that they, like I, believe that the planet is at risk.
I think you're probably right. I'd imagine mass produced supermarket fodder is more likely the organic marketing stuff
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:50pm Spargel

Mostly white asparagus in the picture, as in France where it's somtimes difficult to get the green type. It is produced, of course, by 'blanching' the shoots during growth, earthing them up to exclude light (as is done with celery).

I have to say, having eaten plenty of both types, I find the green variety far superior in flavour to the white. Something I've never understood about French culinary tastes. I'm glad that shoppers in Britain favour the green type - one thing I do like about living in England.

And yes - British-grown asparagus is now in our supermarkets - although still fairly pricey. Probably the harvest is not good this year...

P.S. I assume the young lady sitting on the cart is the year's Spargelkönigin...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

661-Pete wrote: 17 May 2021, 9:13am
Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:50pm Spargel

Mostly white asparagus in the picture, as in France where it's somtimes difficult to get the green type. It is produced, of course, by 'blanching' the shoots during growth, earthing them up to exclude light (as is done with celery).

I have to say, having eaten plenty of both types, I find the green variety far superior in flavour to the white. Something I've never understood about French culinary tastes. I'm glad that shoppers in Britain favour the green type - one thing I do like about living in England.

And yes - British-grown asparagus is now in our supermarkets - although still fairly pricey. Probably the harvest is not good this year...

P.S. I assume the young lady sitting on the cart is the year's Spargelkönigin...
One of the many joys of cycle touring is suddenly realising that something interesting is happening but you don't know what it is.

I'd never heard of Spargelfest until we found ourselves in the middle of one. Somewhere east of Passau on the Danube, 12 years ago.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Interesting views on local food above.

But it still has to be picked. For some reasons newspapers are reporting today on the expected shortage of labour.

This might have been triggered by the Select Committee's report:

"The UK’s new immigration policy and the food supply chain":
https://committees.parliament.uk/work/1 ... lications/

That page also links to the Government's response.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And the NFU seem worried about small producers in the UK:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... s-bus.html

includes:

And it's clear that negotiators from Australia and New Zealand are sticking firm to their hardline demands for the complete removal of tariffs on all their exports to the UK.

This would make life unbearable for small British family farms, which, remember, must respect British laws governing high farm standards.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:40pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 16 May 2021, 8:05pm BTW how do you know it's organic?
How do I know if the Pope is a Catholic? Yes, some things I have to take on trust. Riverford own their own farms, or else work in close cooperation with their partners in Europe. And the business is a cooperative. Of course this doesn't prove anything. I mentioned the Flat Earthers in another post. You can't prove that the Earth is round...
Whilst you do have to take their word for it you could ask to see various certificates, and those certificates should be being regularly inspected - yeah right.

As for the earth being round.... quite provable.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 May 2021, 2:26pm As for the earth being round.... quite provable.
I should have been more explicit. You can't prove, in a post on the Flat Earth forum, that the Earth is round - and convince any of the FE'ers :roll: . Many people have tried...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
atoz

Post by atoz »

mikeymo wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:54pm
thirdcrank wrote: 9 May 2021, 8:04pm I see Tracy Brabin MP has won the election to be the mayor of West Yorkshire. It might be a pyrrhic victory for the Labour Party as it seems she will have to resign her Westminster seat. Boundary changes tend to mean history is no guide, but Tory Elizabeth Peacock was the MP for some 14 years so it's not a Labour safe seat.
Brabin's majority was only 3,500. And Matt Robinson has just been doing a lot of campaigning, and the voters have seen his name on a ballot paper. He got a lot more votes than I imagined. Yup, it's easy to see Batley and Spen returning a Conservative MP in the next few weeks.

That depend on who the candidates are. In a seat not that far away the Tories picked a non local candidate and failed to get the seat despite it being labelled marginal. The sitting MP is as local as its possible to be. If you keep making the same mistake you will lose (and have done with this particular seat for 30 years). Don't be so sure of another Tory boy/girl winning just yet...that must be disappointing. A majority of only a couple of votes would still be a majority.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote: 17 May 2021, 6:37pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 17 May 2021, 2:26pm As for the earth being round.... quite provable.
I should have been more explicit. You can't prove, in a post on the Flat Earth forum, that the Earth is round - and convince any of the FE'ers :roll: . Many people have tried...
You're not asking for proof there, but for evidence that Einstein was wrong (he himself declared uncertainty about the infinite nature of the universe).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.