I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by Oldjohnw »

Is the writer making the observation as a car driver, lorry driver or cyclist?

It is their observation so be it far from me to disagree, but the context matters.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My only point is that a single-track road is a single-track road whether viewed from on foot, bicycle, motorbike, car, lorry or indeed an aeroplane.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ben@Forest wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 5:59am
Cowsham wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 8:00pm England's a funny place -- just back from Yorkshire and it seems like there's many little villages, which are filled with people living in very tiny ancient looking houses closely packed together, set apart from each other by miles of greenery. Eg the A64.

By contrast our roads are bit more practical. ie when you wander off the A64 your probably going to have to negotiate a single track lane to get when your going.

The other big difference is we live a bit more spread out. Yous seen to want to live in little clusters. Tiny houses tiny shops. Nice all the same -- wouldn't want to live there right enough.

Hard knowing where to park yourself as you might be on someone else's turf.
What country are are you comparing it to?
NI
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 6:54am
when you wander off the A64 your probably going to have to negotiate a single track lane to get when your going.
Do you really mean "single-track lane?" ie a road only wide enough to take motor traffic in one direction at a time. Did you mean "single carriageways?" Thinking of the area you seem to be discussing - the Vale of York to the East of the A1(M) I can't think of any single-track lanes. I don't consider single-track lanes a problem for cyclists: on the contrary, they are what makes much of Norfolk such a delightful area for cycling.
No doubt I'd love to cycle around those wee roads and the countryside is beautiful but when driving a car we'd consider roads you have to stop at passing points to let another car pass as lanes.

Hopefully I'll get the opportunity next year as we like the Yorkshire dales. Injured this year so couldn't take the bikes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm struggling - unsuccessfully - to think of roads in the area you are talking about needing passing places. |I'm not saying they don't exist, but they are not in any way usual. Nor am I saying there's no traffic congestion, because there's often loads.

I'm not trying in any way to somehow defend the area: if anybody doesn't like it that's entirely their privilege.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 9:52am
Cowsham wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 8:00pm The other big difference is we live a bit more spread out. Yous seen to want to live in little clusters. Tiny houses tiny shops. Nice all the same -- wouldn't want to live there right enough.
NI
Interesting. I have only been to NI once and it was a long time ago, but two things that struck me were 'bungalow blight' with a lot of inappropriately built structures (with no architectural merit) and the complete lack of interest in gardening. Just dwellings with a surround of grass and nothing to brighten it up.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ben@Forest wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 4:12pm
Cowsham wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 9:52am

NI
Interesting. I have only been to NI once and it was a long time ago, but two things that struck me were 'bungalow blight' with a lot of inappropriately built structures (with no architectural merit) and the complete lack of interest in gardening. Just dwellings with a surround of grass and nothing to brighten it up.
It's still much the same unfortunately there's not a good stretch countryside without some building which doesn't even blend with it's surroundings. Bungalow blight is a bloody good description. At least yous have a bit of respect for how it all looks.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I drove through NI once to get to the Republic in the northwest corner. Apart from mistakenly backing into a fortified police station entrance in londonderry I found it a little like the Republic with a lot of building out into the countryside.

We got told that in the Republic it was second homes from the big cities. Something like if there was a building already on the site you didn't need planning permission or it was a lot easier. So you saw an old fallen down shed or barn and next to it was a new bungalow going up. Is NI a little like that too?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

We went there for a short holiday after the ceasefire was agreed. Mainly did Belfast and Co Antrim, it was very nice but as said, there were a plethora of ugly bungalows. The woman running a B&B we stayed at remarked on how busy they were following the ceasefire. I've still not got as far as the Republic.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 7:10am I drove through NI once to get to the Republic in the northwest corner. Apart from mistakenly backing into a fortified police station entrance in londonderry I found it a little like the Republic with a lot of building out into the countryside.

We got told that in the Republic it was second homes from the big cities. Something like if there was a building already on the site you didn't need planning permission or it was a lot easier. So you saw an old fallen down shed or barn and next to it was a new bungalow going up. Is NI a little like that too?
Think there's some way a farmer can get planning permission for a dwelling for a son or daughter who's intending to take on the farm but you invariably find the person living there is not related to the farmer or the whole farm has been sold off in different lots. Planning here seems is dependent who you know. It's made a mess of our countryside.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ben@Forest wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 7:41am We went there for a short holiday after the ceasefire was agreed. Mainly did Belfast and Co Antrim, it was very nice but as said, there were a plethora of ugly bungalows. The woman running a B&B we stayed at remarked on how busy they were following the ceasefire. I've still not got as far as the Republic.
I used to go to the republic, when the kids were young. for short holidays but since it took up the euro the price of accommodation and eating out has got a bit mad.

Last time I was in county kildare in 2012 but camping only and noticed the main roads were a lot better but veer off them and it was rough enough.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

England is pretty and the level of littering is a lot less than here ( it's that thing us monkeys do -- if it's messy it's OK to leave more mess but if it's tidy they tend not to mess it as much -- we have a big problem with litter in recent years ) but I don't think I could live in such small houses and in so close quarters with everyone else with no driveways or a decent sized garage. Where would I tinker at my old machines?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Following a night in which GB News got a zero audience I see they have recruited a Mr N Farage who, they say, will increase the audience ten fold.

And ten times zero is?
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I watched GB News once, uninteresting. Good idea in theory but evidently not in practice.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:14am Following a night in which GB News got a zero audience I see they have recruited a Mr N Farage who, they say, will increase the audience ten fold.

And ten times zero is?
It doesn't take many.

"How twelve leading anti-vaxxers use social media to generate funding"
https://252f2edd-1c8b-49f5-9bb2-cb57bb4 ... 1cd06c.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... cdh-report

Jonathan