I don't like living in England....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: I don't like living in England....

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought the received wisdom was that no matter what benefit individual Lib-Dem MPs gained from the Coalition, it did the party no good at all. Also, in 2015, the Tories concentrated their efforts on Lib-Dem seats with some success.

Nick Clegg seems to be just another politician without political conviction: like Blair and Johnson, an opportunist.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Curious, that. I remember as a kid spending a family holiday in Ostia (on the coast west of Rome) - a large part of it on the beach. But later in life I learnt that Ostia was a no-go area for bathing: one of the most polluted in Europe. How things have changed! I note UK's 17% score with some dismay....

....but I wonder how on earth Austria gets into that list? And with its 97.7% score to boot! OK I've been to Neusiedlersee - and bathed in it: I suppose it was pretty clean though I remember it as being rather muddy. And there's Bodensee (Lake Constance) - been there but not bathed in it. There must be other Austrian lakes good for bathing, but I don't know of any. I wonder which dastardly ones were the 2.3% which didn't make the grade?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Data for individual locations in Austria:
https://www.ages.at/en/topics/environme ... onitoring/

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jun 2021, 10:17am I thought the received wisdom was that no matter what benefit individual Lib-Dem MPs gained from the Coalition, it did the party no good at all. Also, in 2015, the Tories concentrated their efforts on Lib-Dem seats with some success.

Nick Clegg seems to be just another politician without political conviction: like Blair and Johnson, an opportunist.
Fortunately my ex libdem leader MP isn't nick clegg and besides isn't free out of Westminster anyway? The incumbent on my constituency was forced from his leadership position partly because of Christian beliefs even though he didn't let his beliefs decide his policies or voting unlike other politicians with strong Christian beliefs. Still, makes him more useful as a constituency MP I reckon.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I submit this as a perfect example Cretins.

Notice mask earing, notice Covid vaccine doesn't stop you getting it or passing it on- data shows it minimises illness in most cases, hospitalised still happens.

Pensioners in the peak at risk age group

Obese MP with mask in hand

But all good as they are sharing communal tea and biscuits so close proximity and touching same items.

Utter madness whichever way you look at it and this is the idiot people voted for :lol:

Clowns
Attachments
DB03CB28-DD3E-4AA5-A56B-719486540A68-1024x704.jpeg
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I believe we have a bit more coastline to keep clean than Austria? Do they have all those tankers flushing their tanks and ships chucking overboard their gash by night passing by their coastline? Maine fishing floats are a hazzard they don't suffer either. And as for yachts without foul holding tanks...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Ships do add to the pollution in the seas but mostly it comes from the land.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

The odd thing is that though agricultural pollution is a Europe-wide problem from what l read it's worst in Italy, Spain and even Poland where it has leached into the Baltic. Poland is mentioned as being poor but Spain and Italy come out rather well....?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It has always puzzled me as to where there are hoards of Brits lobbing plastic into the sea? I have never seen anyone doing that but in our boat in mid channel I have seen gash frequently being chucked over the side of ships. Ships going in both directions spaced 90 seconds apart, one ship every 45 seconds and thats apart from coastal traffic and fishing boats. A walk along any beach reveals a lot of washed up fishing gear, ripped parts of nets, plastic ropes etc, and plastic bottles. Here in the West country there are occasional reports of illegal discharges by water companies and these are obviously a culprit for poor beach cleanliness. With 31,000 km of coastline we obviously have more of a problem than other European countries, especially compared to Austria!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Might I suggest reading what is measured in this analysis and what isn't?

And I don't think that it's possible to attribute the fall in quality in recent years in the UK to the length of coastline... that's been roughly constant.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Porth Neigwl (Hell's Mouth) is in Wales so perhaps it's not relevant to living in England, but I think the English name refers to the way the prevailing wind inexorably blows (blew?) sailing ships aground. The detritus blown ashore now is labelled in every language spoken (except perhaps Welsh - but that would require the inhabitants to put out to sea, just to dump their rubbish.)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've just googled our mp. Couldn't see a single photograph with a mask on. He will be wearing them but I just think he's fallen off the face of the earth. Not even local sources like Cumbria crack and westmoreland gazette.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 10:05am Might I suggest reading what is measured in this analysis and what isn't?

And I don't think that it's possible to attribute the fall in quality in recent years in the UK to the length of coastline... that's been roughly constant.
I'm not so sure there's been a fall in quality, more a lack of meeting more exacting standards. Not that that makes it right, but I don't think things are getting worse.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'd be curious about the testing to come up with these clean water assessments. Do nations do their own testing? Is the same protocol used? What is the test lab accreditation and is it to the same standard across the countries?

Put bluntly it is common across Europe for nation States to provide central bodies with data to their own benefit using different methodologies to arrive at the results. It's not necessarily that one set of data is more reliable just that it might not be completely comparable data which can mislead. It's not the first time that uk supplied data puts the UK in a worse light only to find that independent and uniform data shows UK in a good light for the same thing.